Supplemental air bag warning light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4blades

I am starting to notice a problem with the passenger side front airbag. Every so often when there are two of us in the car, the passenger air bag disarmed light is on. The passenger is an adult. The only way I have found to extinguish the light is to power down then back up. Sometimes it takes two or three cycles before it finally goes out. Has anybody else had this problem?

The LEAF has an Occupant Classification System with sensors installed under the passenger seat. It's designed to suppress the airbag in the event that it detects the presence of a child or infant, or an adult who is seated in such a way that would cause injury to them if the airbag deploys (such as leaning too far forward). It does so by attempting to determine the weight and position of the occupant.

That means the passenger is either leaning in their seat in such a way that causes the car to determine it's safer for the airbag to be disabled... or... there's a faulty or miscalibrated sensor causing the OCS to disable the airbag.

If the passenger isn't leaning, I would take the car into the dealer for repairs.

Or the adult could be too light. My mom's Altima Hybrid sometimes disables the passenger airbag w/some of my adult (quite old, as well) relatives. They're just light. I've seen that too w/one of those relatives in my Leaf.

I recall the same thing w/my father in either the Altima Hybrid or my Prius.

(And yes, often we try to make sure they're sitting properly in the seat w/all their weight on it.)

4blades said:
I am starting to notice a problem with the passenger side front airbag. Every so often when there are two of us in the car, the passenger air bag disarmed light is on. The passenger is an adult. The only way I have found to extinguish the light is to power down then back up. Sometimes it takes two or three cycles before it finally goes out. Has anybody else had this problem?

I've been having the same issue, it doesn't happen all the time but it is very annoying. I took the car to the dealer and they said that nothing was wrong and that they couldn't get the light to come on. My wife and I found a way to replicate the issue so we are taking the car to the dealer this week to show them how to airbag light comes on when a full size adult sits in the passenger seat.
Nissan did have a recall for a faulty sensor http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130315/carnews/130319875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the dealer told me that that recall didn't apply to my model.

We are having the same problem with our 2013 S. We took it in on Thursday and they couldn't duplicate the issue, but reset the SRS system and sent us on our way. So far the light hasn't been on at all. In my Subaru, the passenger light shows on and off... but I can't recall if the LEAF does that or not.

Here my update on this issue..... The light came on (once again) and deactivated the airbag while a full size adult was riding on the passenger seat. I happened to be close to the dealer so I took the car in while the light was still on. I showed them the problem and demonstrated how sitting on the passenger seat will not turn off the light/reactivate the airbag.

The tech told me that the issue could be a faulty airbag seat sensor mat. He said that they will recalibrate it and see if that would resolve the issue, and that if that didn't work, they will have to order a new sensor mat and replace it all together.

It has been 3 weeks since the recalibration and I haven't seen the airbag misbehave anymore.

flakeyblakee said:
We are having the same problem with our 2013 S. We took it in on Thursday and they couldn't duplicate the issue, but reset the SRS system and sent us on our way. So far the light hasn't been on at all. In my Subaru, the passenger light shows on and off... but I can't recall if the LEAF does that or not.

The light should come on when you power on the car to indicate that the airbag is working.
If anyone under 70 pounds is setting on the passenger seat the light should remain on. if someone over 70 pounds is sitting on the passenger seat the light should turn off after 5 or so seconds.

.... and Nissan finally issued a recall to fix this problem:
http://insideevs.com/2013-2014-nissan-leaf-affected-airbag-related-recall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am confused... just got my 2015 LEAF SL a few weeks back, notice this issue remains (with my 14-year-old son who weights 150 lbs) but not consistent. Just scheduled an appointment with the dealership to have them take a look.

This is the second issue with this LEASED vehicle. The rear passenger side door switch is faulty and the new replacement part has a 6~7 weeks lead time.

This reminds me of the old Datsun quality reputation... :cry:

jaliu98 said:
I am confused... just got my 2015 LEAF SL a few weeks back, notice this issue remains (with my 14-year-old son who weights 150 lbs) but not consistent. Just scheduled an appointment with the dealership to have them take a look.

This is the second issue with this LEASED vehicle. The rear passenger side door switch is faulty and the new replacement part has a 6~7 weeks lead time.

This reminds me of the old Datsun quality reputation... :cry:

This is also happening to me in my 2015 S with my 13yo son who weighs around 120 lbs. I'll be interested to hear what you dealer says...

I still have and love my 2011 Leaf which I purchased new in June 2011. It just turned 50K miles. Today, when I powered up, the Master Warning light began to flash; and a few seconds later the Supplemental Air Bag warning light came on (steady red.) The car runs just fine. I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income. We drive sparingly, always on short trips, Is this something I need to worry about?? I've always done my own routine maintenance (except for traction battery replacement in 2017). No one ever sits in the back seat. I haven't been to a dealer in over 5 years.I I'm hesitant to go to a dealer with the risk of a major expense. Suggestions??
Thanks..
derkraut

Hi,
Thank you for your response.
First, I made a mistake on my original post. The Master Warning light is flashing, and the Sup air bag light is flashing. The first thing I checked was the 12V battery. But, my 12V battery is only 4 months old. shows 12V. I noticed on related posts here that there were problems with the bag sensors on the 2013 models. Maybe I can have the dealer check the sensors without charging me a fortune?

Update: I took my 2011 Leaf to the local Nissan dealer (from whom I purchased it new). They said they could not find any problems, so they reset the Supplemental Airbag warning light. The light stayed off. They said the car was ready to be picked up. (They never gave me a cost estimate). When I went to pick it up, they charged me $150.00 for labor, and sent me on my way. Well, 4 days later, the light is back on. Now what?? There's no way I can afford another rip-off charge.
Can anyone recommend an OBD Code Reader that will work on my car? I don't know much about "Android"or "Bluetooth" and such. But I can learn. Maybe I can reset the warning light myself, and save another $150. Then if it comes back on, perhaps I could just stick some electric tape over the warning light and forget about it. :roll:

LeafSpy is the preferred OBDII program around here, or better yet LeafSpyPro, which is the same thing with more features. I think the app is $10.

Android is the operating system on many smart phones. iOS is the other major one and is Apple specific. If you have an Apple phone you need the iOS version of LeafSpyPro. Otherwise, you need the Android version of LeafSpyPro.

Bluetooth is a radio communications protocol that the phone uses to connect to an OBDII 'dongle' that plugs into the car. So the app (LeafSpyPro) running on your phone communicates via radio signal (Bluetooth) to the OBDII dongle and sends commands to the car to read information, clear codes, etc.

There are lots of dongles available and the one in LeftieBiker's signature is one that is known to work well.

Derkraut,

You need the Pro version of LEAF Spy in order to read/clear DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes). Normal OBDII code readers will not work with the LEAF so Leaf Spy Pro with a suitable Bluetooth OBDII adapter and Android or iOS device is the best option. In your case, I would be inclined to go back to the dealer and ask them to check for error codes again (without additional cost) since the light came back on so soon.

Well, I'm so "old school", I don't even have a cell phone. So, I guess I'd need to buy a "smartphone' in order to do my own diagnostics? If that's the case, I'll just have to stick a piece of black electrical tape over the warning light. Hardly anybody ever sits in the front passenger seat anyway. The Nissan dealer says the right front seat assy probably needs to be replaced @ a cost of $2300-$2500. Hell--the car isn't worth that much. SHHH! :roll:

You don't need to pay for an expensive phone, or for cell service. In fact, with a few million obsolete 3G smart phones out there, I daresay you could get an android smartphone for free. All it needs is working Bluetooth.

Back