CeladonCityNPC
Delivery Date: 15 Aug 2021

Re: Leaf ZE1 OEM headunit replacement (7" -> 8") Project Thread

Danep82 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:36 am Hi i tried this mod in the UK a few months ago but could not get the 8" unit to work i do have all the pinouts though if your still in need and even a diagram i made to show what wires go where ?

My headunit kept showing LOCKED RED or LOCKED GREEN so i gave up

Dan
Hi! Great addition to the thread, thanks so much! Glad to see someone else is also trying to do the same upgrade :D

As for the locked message, you need the dealer to code the new headunit to work in your car. It's still locked to the previous vehicle's VIN. I'm like 95% sure.
This is a classic Nissan lock mechanism if you switch headunits.
Last edited by CeladonCityNPC on Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Danep82
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2022

Is that what you had to do? get the vin coded?

Thanks
Last edited by Danep82 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
CeladonCityNPC

Danep82 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:58 am Is that what you had to do? get the vin coded?

Thanks
Mine didn't have that issue as the previous owner had "unlocked" it at the dealer to work on any car before removing it from his Leaf and selling it to me, as he was installing the Unavi replacement headunit on his.

You could try to enter the service menu on the new unit if you can (menu button + left, right, left on the right dial) and check the error codes, you should see one saying "Locked ECU wrong VID received" or something, like here: https://imgur.io/ujgV4VG

Mine says it too, however it functions normally, I guess due to the unlocking.
CeladonCityNPC

ALL GUCCI NOW

Update: I repinned the final 6 pins as per Danep82's (THANK YOU!) diagram, and everything works perfectly now.
During my test drive, I was bummed to find that my GPS location was off by 500 meters (display showed I was driving in the ocean) and the compass did not work on the instrument cluster display. However, on my way back from the shop, it worked perfectly! I guess the navigation just needed a bit of time to calibrate my location accurately.

I also made some modifications to the FM antenna connector, as it did not fit the new headunit directly. The result isn't too pretty (I just shaved half a cm off each side and made a hole on the bottom for fitment) but it fits now and the FM radio works perfectly: https://i.imgur.com/dCa1dyK.jpg

Also, I had a lot of difficulty trying to find a suitable physical connector pin to achieve ground and IGN on the 20-pin connector. So in the end I just skipped IGN, which so far has not affected anything. I checked for continuity between the ground pin (pin 19 in your diagram) and the chassis of the headunit and of course there was continuity, so I just ran a wire from the headunit chassis to a screw on the car's chassis nearby. Ground achieved!

The final adapter cable I have isn't too pretty and if I were to make one again, I'm sure I'd make a far better one, but it works: https://i.imgur.com/cURftZl.jpg

I was so sure that this time everything will work that I buttoned up the car completely and put all screws and covers back in their place :D

Here is the final result:
https://i.imgur.com/z3fjGls.jpg

On Monday, the dealer will try configuring (and calibrating I guess) the 360 cameras on the new headunit for me. That's the final thing that doesn't work. Fingers crossed.
Last edited by CeladonCityNPC on Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danep82

Great work, maybe ill have to have another go!
Danep82

out of interest where did you purchase your Headunit?

Dan
CeladonCityNPC

Danep82 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:10 am out of interest where did you purchase your Headunit?

Dan
I've seen them for sale at auto wreckers, but this one I got from a local auction site. Previous owner installed the Unavi unit on his so he sold this one away.
CeladonCityNPC

Car just came back from the dealer and unfortunately the 360 cameras are still not working. They tried to configure the car, but this "combo" is not available to their diagnostics tool (old car + new headunit).

However, upon leaving the lot I noticed the available settings options in the menus had changed to the Tekna options (no bass boost option etc.) signaling that the headunit is now configured for Tekna, thus hopefully for the 360 cameras as well.

What I'm thinking now, is that the ignition cable that I still have disconnected is the reason. Since the cameras do not operate when car is not fully "on", I'm thinking maybe the headunit feeds the 12V ignition power to the camera computer and thus that cable needs to be connected as well for the cameras to be operational. Shame I don't have the service manual to confirm this, but there must be a reason for this cable to exist in the connector in the first place.

Let's see, I'll try getting that cable connected later and retry.
Last edited by CeladonCityNPC on Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

It certainly sounds worth trying.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
CeladonCityNPC

OLD POST, THIS MESSAGE CAN BE IGNORED
Well...bad news. While trying to figure out a way to tap the ignition wire into the 20-pin connector, the new headunit let out a bit of the magic smoke. I guess there's not enough of it inside anymore to make it work, as it no longer turns on :)

I have no idea what happened, but for me this is the end of this project. Changed back to the original headunit and that one still works, so clearly it isn't just a blown fuse on the car side; the new headunit is gone. Maybe I'll come back to this in a few years if the price of the new headunits goes down, can't risk wasting another $500.

As a final update, while opening up the headunit to see if I could spot something clearly wrong on the PCB, I found out why it it didn't require any coding to work with my car: previous owner has soldered in some kind of microcontroller :D
https://i.imgur.com/U6opTVE.jpg

If the ignition cable connection didn't work, my next ideas would have been to either try replacing the AVM camera control unit with a newer one, maybe the resolution has changed (and the control units seem to be reasonably cheap online) or trying to reach it via SSH on USB to see if there are configuration options to change. https://github.com/ea/bosch_headunit_ro ... l_howto.md
Last edited by CeladonCityNPC on Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”