GRA

Re: Electrify America Network

WetEV wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:18 pm
GRA wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:00 pm
WetEV wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:19 am

Backasswards.

As BEV range increases, DCFCs become less and less important, and L2 at lodging becomes more and more important.
Think about it rather than replying.

Cost per mile for L2 should be less as the peak power demand is less. Demand charges for 10kW vs demand charges for 350kW. Night rates rather than peak rates. Not only more convenient, but cheaper. What more do you want?
While I'd love ...
Here, let me try again. You ignored my point.

<Snip>

You ignored all of mine, which is that we're a long way away from mass-market BEVs that will provide ranges comparable to ICEs, or having charging infrastructure that is as dense and reliable as gas stations, or that a lot of people traveling to and staying in national parks don't stay in concessioner lodgings, and the people who don't are often those with the strongest motivation to use ZEVs.
We need as much outside the park FCs and (where possible/allowed) inside the park L1/2 as we can build, ASAP, but FCs are usable by and valuable to _all_ BEV park visitors, and L1/2 only at lodgings isn't.

Back on topic, via IEVS:
Electrify America Introduces Balanced Charging; New Naming Scheme
Welcome to a new world of power sharing and "Hyper" fast EV charging.
https://insideevs.com/news/609179/elect ... yper-fast/
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.
cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

cwerdna wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:39 pm If Tesla's CCS1 adapter is available in the US for significantly less than the $450 CHAdeMO adapter and supports higher power levels, I could see road trippers who travel in busy travel corridors on holidays (e.g. I-5 between Nor and So Cal) and where SC coverage is lacking while CCS coverage is better wanting to buy.

The are numerous videos of crazy Supercharger lines during holidays at the aforementioned corridor.
It's out now for $250: https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter.

'22 Niro EV
'19 Bolt Premier (bought back by GM)
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
GRA

After May EA didn't update the station count on their map for two or three months, and then I've been busy and hadn't posted the new total when they did. Here's their current number, and hopefully I'll be able to stay more up to date now:

Open 788/Coming soon 84,

which is an increase of only 30 open since May. For some reason both their website and app maps aren't showing coming soon sites at the moment, so I can't see if there are any new useful ones out here in the west.

BTW, the site in Santa Cruz at

FFF Santa Cruz - Riverwalk Plaza
700 Front St, Santa Cruz, California 95060

opened officially on the 19th (and was usable a few days earlier), although once again without notifying me with a text as it should have. This is the second or third time this has happened recently. Not sure what the deal is - EA used to be very reliable about sending notifications to me for sites where I'd signed up to receive them.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

cwerdna

Free EA juice has been going on (now down to on/off, depending on where) since Sept 7th. https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/elect ... ost-764796 was the message that was previously up for over a week. I haven't broadcast it here since they only have 1 CHAdeMO plug per site and it could be down.

As I mentioned at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/elect ... 83/page-13, there are still reports of free juice today (9/30). If I had a CHAdeMO car, I wouldn't go out of my way to try but if in the area, it might be worth it to swing by to see if says complimentary session. Example at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/elect ... ost-764206.

Check Plugshare first and the EA app first.

'22 Niro EV

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
GRA

On my trip from the 14th-17th, all the charging I did at EA sites was free.

GRA

EA updated their station count a couple of days ago, but now their map is no longer showing station and charger counts. From memory, the new numbers are 791 open/90 Coming soon, an increase of just 3 open stations in a month. Big whoop.

GRA

Electrify America’s first megawatt-level battery storage-backed charging station reduces stress on the grid
https://electrek.co/2022/10/19/electrif ... g-station/

. . . With over 150 battery energy storage solutions already in place at stations around the US, Electrify America looks to demonstrate reduced stress on the electrical grid by use of these larger storage solutions and new solar canopies. . . .

Electrify America has installed BESS at over 100 stations in California alone, using Tesla Powerpacks as part of a deal made back in 2019.

Now, EA is upping the ante and will begin integrating even larger battery energy storage systems at the mega-watt level, beginning at the Electrify America station in Baker, California.

Electrify America unveiled its first station to receive the larger, megawatt-level system in a press release today. The Baker, California location has been expanded from eight fast chargers up to twelve thanks to the support of the new BESS. . . .

EA did share that it selected its Baker station to be the first to receive the megawatt-level energy storage system because of its remote location and its previous utility capacity constraints. The new system can store approximately 1.5 MW (3 MWh), bolstered by 66 kW of generation potential from a solar canopy – another first for the charging network debuting in Baker. . . .

The charging network states that its customers near Baker have already begun experiencing the revamped station and charging offload has already surpassed 1 MW of peak energy demand. Furthermore, all of that megawatt-level load has been delivered by the BESS and solar canopy alone.

cwerdna

Last night, I noticed Electrify America has been tweeting about some of their sites being upgraded to newer gen DC FCs. They also note whether or not the CHAdeMO charger has been upgraded.

Examples:
https://twitter.com/ElectrifyAm/status/ ... 1081804800
https://twitter.com/electrifyam/status/ ... 2445551621

'22 Niro EV

knightmb
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291

cwerdna wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:53 pm Last night, I noticed Electrify America has been tweeting about some of their sites being upgraded to newer gen DC FCs. They also note whether or not the CHAdeMO charger has been upgraded.

Examples:
https://twitter.com/ElectrifyAm/status/ ... 1081804800
https://twitter.com/electrifyam/status/ ... 2445551621
The ones that do say that ChaDeMo was upgraded still list it as 50 kW, how is that an upgrade? :lol:
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2018 Leaf SL - (Manufacture Date February 2018)
2013 Leaf SV - (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles LeafSpy-Data)
Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

They cleaned all the air filters?
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”