2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaleHawkins said:
I did not realize Santa Diego was that much cooler than Kentucky for summer temperatures not that's a major factor difference in our case. It must be nice to live in a place with no triple digit summer temperatures.

Your sarcasm belies your ignorance. San Diego is so much warmer (on average) than KY. Especially inland. Murray KY is at the same latitude as Monterey, CA, which is considered Northern California here. About 300 miles NORTH of San Diego. My area is 100 miles north of San Diego, and we regularly see 110+ a few days each year.

Looked at another way, for an area to reach 100 degrees DESPITE being close to the ocean, it must get REALLY warm there!

LeftieBiker said:
I'm not sure that Gale was being sarcastic. Let's not assume the worst of people...

Being sarcastic isn't the worst that one can assume. And what Gale wrote was clearly sarcasm. He disagreed with me, I can acknowledge that.

Unless you think I went too far in calling him ignorant? In which case, I apologize for the insult.

Just got word that Nissan has approved the warranty replacement for my 30kwh batter. 60k miles on my 2016. A slow and steady decline. At about 69% SOH I started getting weird symptoms. Under high power discharge (going up a canyon) everything shut down. Once it was able to restart, but the other two times, it had to be towed to the dealer. Replaced 12V battery and kept driving. Weird things kept happening. Last week, I was headed up the canyon and I looked down to see the charge percentage falling rapidly. I pulled over and it slowly came back up by about 15%. The next day I took it in. I had lost my 9th bar about 2 weeks ago and my SOH was at 64.5% so I was pretty sure there would be no attempt to "restore it to 9 bars" or other such shenanigans. Fortunately they got same day approval from corporate to do the swap. WooHoo! Totally looking forward to getting some range. I was down to 72 mi. at full charge with a useful range probably somewhere around 55 or so. Unfortunately 2 to 3 months was the quoted lead time on the battery.

Leafchacho said:
Just got word that Nissan has approved the warranty replacement for my 30kwh batter. 60k miles on my 2016. A slow and steady decline. At about 69% SOH I started getting weird symptoms. Under high power discharge (going up a canyon) everything shut down. Once it was able to restart, but the other two times, it had to be towed to the dealer. Replaced 12V battery and kept driving. Weird things kept happening. Last week, I was headed up the canyon and I looked down to see the charge percentage falling rapidly. I pulled over and it slowly came back up by about 15%. The next day I took it in. I had lost my 9th bar about 2 weeks ago and my SOH was at 64.5% so I was pretty sure there would be no attempt to "restore it to 9 bars" or other such shenanigans. Fortunately they got same day approval from corporate to do the swap. WooHoo! Totally looking forward to getting some range. I was down to 72 mi. at full charge with a useful range probably somewhere around 55 or so. Unfortunately 2 to 3 months was the quoted lead time on the battery.

Don't be surprised if it takes even longer. I'm currently 1 week away from the 3 month mark and still waiting for the new pack to be slow-boated (from Japan) to the dealership.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm not sure that Gale was being sarcastic. Let's not assume the worst of people...

Thanks.

The 30 kWh pack didn't fail in 3 years/25K miles due cool temperatures in St. Louis. Frying the summer of 2016 fully charged on a hot parking lot was a negative I expect.

goldbrick said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
My area is 100 miles north of San Diego, and we regularly see 110+ a few days each year.

And here I was thinking your location was Arcata. What a difference.

I didn't even know there was a city called Arcata in CA until now! Wow, very big difference in the two cities!

For those who have dropped a 4th bar and kept track of stats via LeafSpy: Did you see a rapid degradation between the loss of your 3rd bar and loss of your 4th?

Asking because on 8/26/22 I lost my 3rd bar at 71.73% SOH. Today (10/5/22) I'm at 69.74% SOH after putting on an additional 1725 miles. Both SOH readings were at 97.7% SOC.

mn4az said:
For those who have dropped a 4th bar and kept track of stats via LeafSpy: Did you see a rapid degradation between the loss of your 3rd bar and loss of your 4th?

Asking because on 8/26/22 I lost my 3rd bar at 71.73% SOH. Today (10/5/22) I'm at 69.74% SOH after putting on an additional 1725 miles. Both SOH readings were at 97.7% SOC.

Looking back at posts in this thread from November 2019 about 10 days before I lost my fourth bar SOH was at 64.5% and right below my post someone noted someone lost their fourth bar at 62.61%.

There is no drop dead percentage where you lose the fourth bar but based on that two posts probably somewhere between 65 and 62%.

The required BSM software update had been run on my car before I bought it I found out after the fact. And I don't remember where you had that run on yours or not that will usually add back some state of health but it didn't affect me from getting a new battery because it was dying anyway it's a software thing kind of magic math. :)

Keep us posted.

GaleHawkins said:
mn4az said:

Looking back at posts in this thread from November 2019 about 10 days before I lost my fourth bar SOH was at 64.5% and right below my post someone noted someone lost their fourth bar at 62.61%.

There is no drop dead percentage where you lose the fourth bar but based on that two posts probably somewhere between 65 and 62%.

The required BSM software update had been run on my car before I bought it I found out after the fact. And I don't remember where you had that run on yours or not that will usually add back some state of health but it didn't affect me from getting a new battery because it was dying anyway it's a software thing kind of magic math. :)

Keep us posted.

Yup... will update my thread (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=624838#p624838) when that last bar drops. BMS software update has been done. I'm just amazed at the large SOH drop from 8/26/22 to now - which led to my question yesterday.

mn4az said:

I wish I would have taken a leafspy reading at the exact time I noticed I lost my 4th bar. I did grab a screenshot a couple weeks before it dropped and I was at 66.26%. I am pretty sure mine dropped to 8 bars at 65.8% or something close to that. It lost 2.9% over the last 1700 miles before it dropped. It was super hot during that time, but it seemed to accelerate over the last miles.

Leafchacho said:
mn4az said:

I wish I would have taken a leafspy reading at the exact time I noticed I lost my 4th bar. I did grab a screenshot a couple weeks before it dropped and I was at 66.26%. I am pretty sure mine dropped to 8 bars at 65.8% or something close to that. It lost 2.9% over the last 1700 miles before it dropped. It was super hot during that time, but it seemed to accelerate over the last miles.

I was a Leaf owner for 5 weeks when we lost the fourth bar and had only been using Leaf Spy Pro maybe two weeks and still really knowing very little about its value.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N8FVcQEiNNk

The author of the video is very deep into Battery technology and understanding bad battery technology and he mentions our Leaf battery technology a couple times during the video and dealing with cooling and not directly but he talks about internal resistance and that's why our batteries die so fast on the end is because the internal resistance is building day by day by day.

I find thoughts in the video helpful in making the next EV battery buying decision.

The internal resistance angle would explain what I'm seeing in the data....

BMS update (6/21/2018 @ 32643 miles) to 1st bar loss (10/24/2019 @ 50731 miles) was 2.28 SOH drop per 5K miles driven
BMS update (6/21/2018 @ 32643 miles) to 2nd bar loss (6/2/21 @ 61865 miles) was 2.39 SOH drop per 5k miles driven
BMS update (6/21/2018 @ 32643 miles) to 3rd bar loss (8/26/22 @ 75041 miles) was 2.47 SOH drop per 5k miles driven

As of several days ago...

BMS update (6/21/2018 @ 32643 miles) to 76711 miles was 2.6 SOH drop per 5k miles driven

Whether or not it holds at 2.6 over the Minnesota winter will be interesting as the data has shown it slows/levels off from November through March.

So I entered the 30kWh battery lottery today. :mrgreen:

I just bought a 26k mile 2017 S with 6 bars SOH. It hasn't had the BMS firmware update yet but I'll get that done soon. The seller said it had a '60-70' mile range so I'm hopeful that I'll win the lotto soon-ish. I paid more than I'd like but not more than Carvana offered me for my current 2017 S at 89.5% SOH.

The plan is to get the firmware update done, see how the car responds and go from there. I'm sure I could recoup my $ with Carvana if I opt out of the lottery since the only difference between my car and the new one is the color and the new one has 7k fewer miles.

goldbrick said:
So I entered the 30kWh battery lottery today. :mrgreen:

I just bought a 26k mile 2017 S with 6 bars SOH. It hasn't had the BMS firmware update yet but I'll get that done soon. The seller said it had a '60-70' mile range so I'm hopeful that I'll win the lotto soon-ish. I paid more than I'd like but not more than Carvana offered me for my current 2017 S at 89.5% SOH.

The plan is to get the firmware update done, see how the car responds and go from there. I'm sure I could recoup my $ with Carvana if I opt out of the lottery since the only difference between my car and the new one is the color and the new one has 7k fewer miles.

Did the seller mention why they never made a warranty claim? Let us know how much your range increases when you get the firmware update. Best of success.

I'm not sure he was even aware of it and he had a new Tesla in the garage so I think he just wanted the car gone.

If he got the same fed/state/utiltily rebates I got at about the same time he sold it for about $7k more than he paid for it so I can understand his reluctance to do anything with the car.

I'll post all the details as I go but first I have to find the title that I seem to have misplaced..... :shock: (I do have a bill of sale).

goldbrick said:
I'm not sure he was even aware of it and he had a new Tesla in the garage so I think he just wanted the car gone.

If he got the same fed/state/utiltily rebates I got at about the same time he sold it for about $7k more than he paid for it so I can understand his reluctance to do anything with the car.

I'll post all the details as I go but first I have to find the title that I seem to have misplaced..... :shock: (I do have a bill of sale).

A new Tesla in the garage would make me forget about a lot of my old stuff. :)

Back