Leaf Number: 309454

Re: My Leaf Rear-ended by a Truck

amazing all that stopped traffic and the truck driver didn't see it :roll:

Glad you are ok
2019 Nissan Leaf SL Plus
Build Date 2/19...car sat new for 1 year until I purchased 3/20
GRA

Learjet wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:49 am amazing all that stopped traffic and the truck driver didn't see it :roll:
Probably looking at their phone or infotainment/HVAC controls. There's ever growing sources of driver distraction inside cars.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.
knightmb
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291

Got some better pictures today now that the sun is back up for better lighting.
For context, the first 2 pictures are just the back, just some broken body trim for the most part.

The next 2 pictures after that show the back where the panel has separated from the body was moved "downward". It made an illusion that the trailer hitch was bent down, but after taking off the bottom panel and looking at it, the hitch is actually just fine. It's still in straight, no movement of the bolts, nuts, nowhere is even bent. It's still as solid as when I put it in. Oh Yeah! :mrgreen:

The picture after those is a shot looking straight up at the hitch where it attaches near the bumper. The bumper was been "mashed" into the frame, I think the hitch stopped it, but it's a good bend job for sure. What looks like a little plate bending towards the black hitch metal is not suppose to be like that. :lol:

The next to last picture. Looks up into the body at the rear bumper, you can see where it has been crushed into towards the center near where the hitch sticks out, the hitch is that black bar looking thing on the bottom left side of the picture.

The final picture is just the rear from a further back distance, where you can see the hitch is relative to the center of the rear. Seems they kind of came in at an angle when they hit, seems to reflect what you see on the truck too since the hit isn't dead center on it.

I'm not an auto-body expert, but I didn't see anything that stood out as "frame damage", so I think it will be easy enough to fix everything by just replacing all the broken parts (hopefully).

2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2018 Leaf SL - (Manufacture Date February 2018)
2013 Leaf SV - (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles LeafSpy-Data)
Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

The Leaf is, AFAIK, a unibody construct, so as long as the various mini frames can be tweaked back, I agree that it shouldn't be totaled. Make sure that any insurance estimate covers ALL of the bits that need replacing, because in auto part parlance, a "bumper" is now just the plastic cover that is painted. I learned that the hard way with my Civic Si.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
knightmb

LeftieBiker wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:08 pm The Leaf is, AFAIK, a unibody construct, so as long as the various mini frames can be tweaked back, I agree that it shouldn't be totaled. Make sure that any insurance estimate covers ALL of the bits that need replacing, because in auto part parlance, a "bumper" is now just the plastic cover that is painted. I learned that the hard way with my Civic Si.
Good advice, thanks for sharing your wisdom, I will certainly make a note on that in the claim. Because all the body shops in the area are so overloaded, the earliest date to examine it won't be until the end of November :shock: I think I will be fine until then provided no one hits me in the rear again before that, :lol:
2013 Leaf SV - (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles LeafSpy-Data)
knightmb

LeftieBiker wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:46 pm Glad to know hat you're more or less ok. I hate crashes...
Geez... in my next owned car, maybe I'll consider attaching a tow hitch for that reason. Hmmm...
They should make hitch covers in the shape of large fists.
I saw an insert, years ago of a fist giving the finger. :lol:
Maybe I should put an insert of a pointed spike about a foot long. That way next time, the vehicle behind me can just stab itself. :mrgreen:
cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Trucks nuts came to mind but those won't offer any protection.

'22 Niro EV
'19 Bolt Premier (bought back by GM)
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
knightmb

Some photos courtesy of the repair shop, if you ever wondered what you Leaf looks like with the rear taken apart :lol:
The bumper had a bad day during that collision, but the trailer hitch is un-touched in damage. Guess 70 lbs of solid steel is hard to bend. :lol:

denwood
Delivery Date: 03 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 314149

Glad to hear your ok. It looks like the bumper really did it's job there. I have the same hitch ...I guess it's a good thing.

My wife has been hit twice from behind on her CRV, and my sister just had her Lexus totalled. Every one of these accidents they were hit at some speed by a driver in town while the car was stopped at a red light. Lot's of distracted drivers out there...
knightmb

denwood wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:59 pm Glad to hear your ok. It looks like the bumper really did it's job there. I have the same hitch ...I guess it's a good thing.

My wife has been hit twice from behind on her CRV, and my sister just had her Lexus totalled. Every one of these accidents they were hit at some speed by a driver in town while the car was stopped at a red light. Lot's of distracted drivers out there...
Yeah, I'm fairly certain the hitch is the reason the back of my Leaf didn't look like the front of that truck. :lol:

It may be hard to tell from the picture, but the truck was lower to the ground that I'm use to usually seeing trucks, so it looks like the front of it was kissing the hitch and did a lot of the damage.

Return to “Pictures, Videos”