Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
You would lose a little ground clearance if you went that route, though.
I think that can be avoided with a higher sidewall. In fact, I buy a smaller wheel diameter on purpose so that I have clearance to increase my tire sidewall for protection against winter potholes.

I'm actually shopping for winter wheels/tyres in the next week or so for my Bolt. My last main choice is which steelies to buy. I hope to get a set that do not require plastic ring adapters. Those are a PITA, and on my last set I found it too easy to install wrong.

Also, I am in Maine and wondering about snow tires. Maybe I could get snow tires on different rims and use the 2023 Leaf rims just 6 months of the year? Thoughts anyone? Advice is appreciated.

We do exactly that- 2 sets of rims and 2 sets of tires, saves making appointments and spending $$ twice a year. We need studded snow tires where we live..... we do NOT have TPS thingies in the winter tires so the dashboard always has a little warning light during the winter months but you get used to it and the cost was something like $320 to get 4 of those installed. The rims are steel and we bought new but I think that other Nissans have the same rims so maybe junkyard diving is in order (or craigslist).

We run snow tires on dedicated wheels on all of our year-round cars.

For the Leaf we went a different route, since the stock wheels are so narrow - 17x6.5. I bought 17x7 wheels and moved the stock tires to them, then bought performance snow tires to fit the stock wheels, narrower. They're 205/50R17 snows from Continental. LRR. Seem to work really well, and we hardly notice a difference in range due to the tires (tested in the fall, before it got really cold, against the stock tires on the new wheels the week before).

Our winters here are pretty mild, but we like the peace of mind. We don't take the Leaf into the mountains, we have a AWD vehicle for that.

We did spring for the tire pressure monitors. It's an added expense, but they last quite a while. I think we paid $45 each at the time for them. It's basically like buying a 5th tire. Having tire monitors on the snows matters - we see bigger swings in pressure in the winter time.

dmacarthur said:
We do exactly that- 2 sets of rims and 2 sets of tires, saves making appointments and spending $$ twice a year. We need studded snow tires where we live..... we do NOT have TPS thingies in the winter tires so the dashboard always has a little warning light during the winter months but you get used to it and the cost was something like $320 to get 4 of those installed. The rims are steel and we bought new but I think that other Nissans have the same rims so maybe junkyard diving is in order (or craigslist).

When you say saves making appointments and spending $$, that makes me think you are putting the tires on and off by yourself? I don't have the equipment to do that--I really can't see myself in the driveway, trying to jack up the car and change the wheels! But maybe I am missing something?

I am also thinking that tires on rims are heavier and bulkier than just tires. Do you store them some place special or just in your garage?

I like the TPS readout in the car (and in Nissan Connect). I looked at a few pictures of the "thingies"--where exactly do they go and how are they attached?

Thanks for your help.

Hi folks, I am a soon-to-be 2023 Leaf SV+ owner, living in Downeast Maine. Supposedly the car is being made now and could arrive December or January.

I will be commuting c. 54 miles total per weekday, to a job in Bar Harbor. We have rooftop solar and will be charging the car mostly at home, though there are two Level 2 chargers at work if I need to use them. I am wondering about getting dedicated snow tires for winter, which can produce icy conditions sometimes. We also have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid that is pretty good in bad weather even with all-season tires. I can use that if I have to drive in real foul weather.

My questions are:

1) Should I bother with snow tires or just forget them leave the Leaf home if there is any ice and snow likely? That would leave the Leaf for my husband if he really has to drive somewhere in an emergency.

2) If I do get snow tires, should I go with studded or something like the Michelin CrossCountry 2?

3) 17" or 16" rims? I assume you get tires with larger sidewalls for 16" rims so that the total diameter of wheel plus tires is the same as stock tires, more or less. Is there any advantage one way or another?

Steve K.

The reasons are diminishing especially in light of the new parameters of the EV tax perks. Our 24 kwh LEAF mileage champion has caved to the challenges of Winter and brought home a new Niro last night. What "was" a much more expensive purchase was priced matched to a LEAF offer cutting several thousand off the price dropping it to about $36,000 plus the usual.

So if considering a Niro, hit the largest volume dealer in your area (apparently they are trying to move 60+ by the end of the year)

2) If I do get snow tires, should I go with studded or something like the Michelin CrossCountry 2?

We put studded snows on the Leaf and it is great in icy conditions- low center of gravity, weighs a lot, able to apply torque to the wheels is proper amounts to avoid spinning. Regular winter tires simply do not cut it on steep icy driveways. You will want to look at the traction control in your car, be able to disable that when going up long slippery hills.

Another factor is the OEM tires that your new car is delivered with. The Ecopia tires were terrible in winter conditions. Our 2023 SV came with Michelin Green X tires which do much better.

If my job required my attendance I'd have an extra set of wheels and Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA 10 studded all around. Fortunately I'm retired and can wait for the plow.

I really like the Michelin Crossclimate 2's, the closest to a winter tire you can run all year and are actually low rolling resistance tires, but they are not the cheapest tires...

Almost as many Leafs sold in the UK as the US in 2022 (over 9K).

https://insideevs.com/news/629901/uk-plugin-car-sales-december2022/

Given the climate and limited Island geography, Leaf Plus seems like a fine solution.

That Leaf should make a good companion to the Rav4. I looked hard at the Rav Prime but now it is more that the 2023 330 mile dual Model Y at the new $46K with rebate price. We will still keep the Leaf since Nissan upgraded its range to 150 miles.

My wife is CUV-bound so we chose a Model Y, but the new pricing for the 270 mile Model 3 is impressive. I calculated $38k + tax after full EV tax credit, not including any state incentives.

A couple of years ago I was firmly in the 'more range is the #1 consideration for EVs' camp but now that Tesla cars have both Supercharging and 150 kW DC generic charging availability, I don't feel anywhere near as strongly about it.

Long time lurker. Really appreciate the tips I’ve read on this forum over the years.

That said, waved good-bye to my beloved 2013 Nissan LEAF SL last month. Was quite happy with it bar the short range, which has become increasingly problematic in New England winters over the years.

Initially I was dead set on a ‘22 or ‘23 LEAF Plus as all I really wanted was just a bigger battery. Checked a few dealers in the general vicinity and was shocked at how few Pluses were available. Further shocked by the markups dealers were pulling—did not like the $4k markups at all, but that seems to be a trend for most brands/dealership this past year. Also looked into replacing my battery with a 40 kWh or even 62 kWh one, but it didn’t make much sense economically.

That led eventually to my purchase of a ‘23 Bolt EUV. Really glad I made the jump. Aside from the reduced trunk space, pretty much everything is an upgrade. Really love the ~250 mile range (which I would’ve gotten with the Plus had Nissan dealerships just sold at MSRP). Ended up paying $28.5k out-the-door given incentives and rebates (and glad to find a Chevy dealer selling at MSRP, and with inventory!). Couldn’t be happier. An equivalent ‘23 LEAF SV Plus (less leather seats but larger trunk) would’ve been about $37.5k out-the-door.

Agree with some of the sentiment expressed here that the LEAF is sorely outdated (tech & prices) at this point compared to the competition, at least in the US with the new federal and state EV credit/rebates.

Here’s hoping that Nissan takes EVs seriously again. May look into the ARIYA at some point, though pricing is prohibitive and wouldn’t make much sense economically for me (I might as well get a Lexus NX gasoline given the low mileage I put on my cars, or even stretch a bit and get a Model Y).

So long Nissan, and thanks for all the fish!

GaleHawkins said:
Does the Ariya quality for the USA IRA tax rebate if the buyer qualifies?

From what I have read, no, because it is built in Japan. If they start building them in TN, this might change.

Ended up paying $28.5k out-the-door given incentives and rebates (and glad to find a Chevy dealer selling at MSRP, and with inventory!). Couldn’t be happier. An equivalent ‘23 LEAF SV Plus (less leather seats but larger trunk) would’ve been about $37.5k out-the-door.

I bought a 2023 SV+ in November and paid $38K. I will get the $7500 tax credit when we do our taxes in the next few months. So I don't really see that big of a difference between you and me, unless I am missing something. I also received $13K on my trade in (a 2016 Tiguan) and they offered NMAC financing at 2.25%, which was much less than my credit union. So I was very happy with the deal I got. I read about Bolts (but did not drive one) but ended up not considering one because I don't like Chevys. That's my personal bias.

Agree with some of the sentiment expressed here that the LEAF is sorely outdated (tech & prices) at this point compared to the competition, at least in the US with the new federal and state EV credit/rebates.

I disagree. I am very happy with the tech, safety features, and general amenities. I had an ID.4 on order and cancelled it after getting my Leaf because the ID.4:
  • Did not come with floor mats or an EVSE--these are an extra cost.
  • Did not have the 360 camera.
  • The cruise control wasn't as full featured.

I am 100% happy with my new Leaf, and I hope you are 100% happy with your new Bolt. Enjoy!

LHN said:
GaleHawkins said:
Does the Ariya quality for the USA IRA tax rebate if the buyer qualifies?

From what I have read, no, because it is built in Japan. If they start building them in TN, this might change.
It isn't a rebate. It's a Federal tax credit.

And no since Ariya isn't assembled in North America. The below may help:
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/credits-for-new-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2023-or-after
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/manufacturers-and-models-for-new-qualified-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2023-or-after
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-new-previously-owned-and-qualified-commercial-clean-vehicles-credit

LHN said:
I bought a 2023 SV+ in November and paid $38K. I will get the $7500 tax credit when we do our taxes in the next few months. So I don't really see that big of a difference between you and me, unless I am missing something. I also received $13K on my trade in (a 2016 Tiguan) and they offered NMAC financing at 2.25%, which was much less than my credit union. So I was very happy with the deal I got. I read about Bolts (but did not drive one) but ended up not considering one because I don't like Chevys. That's my personal bias.

The LEAF you got for $38k out-the-door (assuming with taxes etc), with federal rebate, would’ve made it $30.5k. That’s a great deal and I would’ve purchased at that price.

I was also unsure about Bolts and decided against them when I first considered replacing my 2013 LEAF. But the bad experience with the Nissan dealers left a sore taste in my mouth, and that prompted me to look into the Bolt more seriously. I was impressed enough to eventually purchase the EUV.

I will say that I still believe Nissan reliability (as part of the top 3 Japanese automakers like Toyota, Nissan, and Honda) to be better. Hopefully my Bolt EUV will be trouble-free for the 8-10 years I intend to own it.

LHN said:
I disagree. I am very happy with the tech, safety features, and general amenities. I had an ID.4 on order and cancelled it after getting my Leaf because the ID.4:
  • Did not come with floor mats or an EVSE--these are an extra cost.
  • Did not have the 360 camera.
  • The cruise control wasn't as full featured.

I am 100% happy with my new Leaf, and I hope you are 100% happy with your new Bolt. Enjoy!

The ID.4 looks nice. When I said the LEAF’s tech is outdated, I meant things like not having active cooling in the batteries (problematic if on road trips in hotter climates) and the slower 50 kW DC charger (which is an issue that the Bolt shares with its 55 kW DC charger). Looks like everyone’s headed for 100 kW or more DC charging capabilities in the newest (3rd?) generation EVs. LPF batteries also look excellent, so looking forward to these being adopted in the next generation EVs.

Other tech like surround vision (aka 360 degree camera) and one-pedal driving that Nissan pioneered have been copied/implemented in other cars (or at least Bolt/EUV). These continue to be excellent, but they seem to be table-stakes now rather than differentiators to attract buyers.

Again, would love Nissan to bring focus back to a smaller EV like the LEAF. Most EV makers are pushing upmarket and pricing them like Tesla’s. A few exceptions like the LEAF and Bolt/EUV remain. Hopefully this segment won’t be neglected in the next generation EVs…

Back