Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Volkswagen CEO says clunky infotainment overhaul starts now

Software updates in the next few weeks, buttons return next year

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/11/26/vw-mib-infotainment-system-overhaul/

. . .Earlier this year, the Volkswagen brand updated its MIB 3.0 modular infotainment matrix software. The evolution brought new features like more information in the digital gauge cluster, Park Assist Plus, and Travel Assist. It also tried to amend a few foibles we (and many others) have complained about since MIB's debut, improving touch recognition, speeding response times to touch inputs, tweaking the user experience, and adding over-the-air updates so owners don't need to drive to the dealer for enhancements. As we found in our First Drive of the 2023 Volkswagen ID.4, the most infuriating components remain, like the capacitive buttons everywhere, the non-illuminated volume and HVAC controls, and some odd button placement. Brand chief Thomas Schäfer spoke to Car magazine at the L.A. Auto Show and promised continuous updates over the next two years.

He explained the uproar from buyers and testers had gotten so bad that the Volkswagen Group Board stepped in and continues to be involved in monthly meetings about the system. The first task has been to figure out the brand identity, then the specific model identity. After that, it's about creating a logic to ergonomics and functionality for the brands and models that use the system by asking questions like, "What are the top 10 functions that customers always need?" and putting those on the first level of hard buttons. The secondary function are then decided and placed. Once that's decided, he said the imperative is "Keep it the bloody same. Don’t change it around!"

We're told the board meetings aren't merely discussions, they're for trying out improvements, "The [technical] team puts together mock-ups and we sit down and try them. We can say: 'This doesn’t really work. Who the hell did this? Next!'" More frequent clinics get random outsiders of all ages and abilities testing new ideas. "If you listen carefully," Schäfer said, "you find out what you should and shouldn't do." All of this sounds so basic, but so many basic and good ideas get shoved overboard when a company wants to be first, and everything is sacrificed to make the deadline.

The MIB 3.0 overhaul begins as soon as "in the next few weeks" with a software update, but we don't know what that contains. Meanwhile, now that OTA updates are part of the mix, incremental tweaks will come quicker. Next year, all of the sliders will be illuminated, and revised steering wheels debuting on the new Tiguan will begin the return of physical buttons to the cockpit. Additional hardware changes will carry on into 2024. Naturally, the hardware needs the most time thanks to the VW Group's size, Schäfer calling the physical revisions "a monumental task – because you have to change 100 tools and so many suppliers globally to change it into something new."

When I rented one I didn't have issues with lag time but I completely agree with the other issues, which would cause me to reject the car for that alone.

Sorry haven't been hanging around much now without my Leaf. I did post an update in the CEC CA thread - I just saw a "coming soon" pop up in Trona, of all places! Lone pine would be awesome EA addition, maybe we can even get 6 stalls?

Per my other post, I'm still waiting on my 2023 ID4 RWD. Your list above seems pretty much what most of the Id4 folks complain about as well, some its a big deal, some it isn't. As long as android auto works well, which in the 2023's so far people haven't complained much, I would probably be fine - but indeed I would love real buttons.

As to "my" ID4, who knows where it is. VW had only made AWD units, and only recently have RWD started to show up in a few coming soon slots at dealers - but not near me. My original estimate has continued to slide, now my VW portal says as late as June, 2023. With the huge uncertainty on the tax credit, that might kill my ID4. I could go and just buy the AWD, but that model is 53k. My RWD was 43k - a huge difference that won't be made up by the full tax credit on them right now.

Moreover, over on the ID4 forums, there is a rumor VW is going to use LG packs for the RWD models in 2023, instead of SKI. We don't even know if SKI will get the tax credit come Jan 1st - best guesses over on the ID4 forum is half the credit - now folks are even more in doubt with LG in the mix. LG packs also charge slower than the SKI.

So I'm left not knowing what I can do - there just isn't anything except a Bolt (she is a hard NO on bolt) to buy within my price range, that my wife will agree with. She BARELY agreed on the ID4. I still love the Ioniq 5, but dealers around me are STILL marking them well above MSRP, and no tax credit.

It really stinks because last year I could have gotten the tax credit, but was waiting to apply for the air district rebate. Now I have the air district rebate in my hands, but can't find a vehicle with a tax credit. Or one that isn't 79k - looking at you, Ford.

I just want a nice crossover / SUV EV, around 45k that qualifies for a tax credit. And can charge > 100 kW for my hiking trips, with 250+ miles of EPA range.

LeftieBiker said:
It sounds like the solution is to take a little out of state trip to buy an Ionic 5. Or order one out of state and have it shipped.

That would have worked when they had the tax credit, but now its too late. Without the tax credit they are out of my price range. Korean assembled vehicles no longer qualify with the new schema.

danrjones said:
So I'm left not knowing what I can do - there just isn't anything except a Bolt (she is a hard NO on bolt) to buy within my price range, that my wife will agree with. She BARELY agreed on the ID4. I still love the Ioniq 5, but dealers around me are STILL marking them well above MSRP, and no tax credit.

It really stinks because last year I could have gotten the tax credit, but was waiting to apply for the air district rebate. Now I have the air district rebate in my hands, but can't find a vehicle with a tax credit. Or one that isn't 79k - looking at you, Ford.

I just want a nice crossover / SUV EV, around 45k that qualifies for a tax credit. And can charge > 100 kW for my hiking trips, with 250+ miles of EPA range.
What's wrong with a RWD Mach-E? The 22s start at $44k, mine has the optional Comfort and Technology package for $47k. Still has the $7500 tax credit.

Triggerhappy007 said:
What's wrong with a RWD Mach-E? The 22s start at $44k, mine has the optional Comfort and Technology package for $47k. Still has the $7500 tax credit.

Honestly, I haven't given the machE too much consideration. I don't personally like it, and although I do like my F150 - I hate my local ford dealer. Not that they ever have a MachE anyway. I haven't seen a machE in my price range in a long time, they are usually 50-65k and have dealer markup.

Isn't that 43k version the short range version?

I wanted 300 miles of range, but since the RWD SE Ioniq 5 had to be nixed from my list (lost the tax credit), the ID4 at 285 was the best I could find - and that's only 43k.

So to answer you, I don't like the MachE style myself, don't want to ever deal with my ford dealer, won't pay dealer markup, and wanted more range.

But if someone has a suggestion for around 43k that has 300 miles of range, I am all ears. Someone want to sell me their Rivian R1S for 43k? :lol:

Well, Santa came early - based on posts over in the ID4 forum, the treasury has delayed the battery mineral REQs for EVs until March, meaning most EVS will get the full 7500 for at least Jan and Feb next year. Still have to be assembled in N America, new income REQs and such still matter, just not the battery REQs.

So earlier this week I mentioned that there is a delay in the battery REQs, meaning most EVs will qualify until March.

This AM VW sent out a notice. Two major news items:

A $1500 price increase starts Jan 4th.

And VW will use both SK and LG packs for all new 2023 RWD ID4s. Starting now. The LG pack will be the same size but charge slower - max 135 kW vs 175. And the vehicles cost the same.

A lot of users upset today on the ID4 forums. The tax implications come March on the LG pack are unknown.

One pack could qualify for more or less fed tax credit.

On the plus side I just inked a contract for a 2023 ID4 this afternoon. So for me it doesn't matter. I'll pick up Friday. Yippy!

Got the new ID4. Dark blue exterior, cosmic exterior. So far it's been good. Yes the center console will take some getting used to, and I do miss real buttons.

But it has wireless android auto, so I won't be using most of the entertainment system anyway.

It's great to drive!

Range is also so much better. The Nissan and VW dealer are right next to each other in Palmdale. 91 miles home used 36% battery on the ID4. Last time I did that drive in my Leaf it took about 94%.

So far the build quality appears excellent as well on the ID4.

danrjones said:
So far the build quality appears excellent as well on the ID4.

VW has a well deserved reputation for successfully conning its customers. Wait until your wife realizes she and her friends are sitting on vinyl.

Each to their own, but my wife and I have both been in past Tesla's, and my brother has two, and the ID4 build quality is better.

Much better. Yes, of course some materials are lower end, but it cost me $20k less! My wife actually really likes it. She didn't think she would.
And that's the most important thing.

20221223_143955-jpg.19185

Back