When charging something seems to start sometimes?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leloel4

I have a Leaf 2018 since 9 months back. When I plug in the charger at home something seems to start, like an motor/compressor or something after a moment, sounds pretty loud. This is the second time I noticed this, never heard it before. The car is not "on".

The first time I tried to unplug the car and then plugged it in again but it started again. Then I unplugged it for an hour and when plugging it in again the thing did not start. I could only hear the circulation pump when listening carefully.

I have located the sound to this area/part. Is this the heat pump?

Does it run under some circumstances when you are charging with the type 2 cable?

12% SOC, -6c outside temperature when starting the charge.

3OcqUjy.jpg

Based on your picture, my 2018 Leaf S has similar parts in a slightly different orientation. That part you circled seems to be part of the air conditioning (A/C) system. It is connected to the high pressure hose on the A/C compressor. Are you sure that is making the noise? I do not have that issue on mine.

As mentioned. maybe the noise is coming from the coolant circ pump, which circulates liquid in the high voltage system cooling circuit. On my Leaf, this pump is black and installed next to one of the cooling fans on the front of the car. I never notice this pump make any annoying noise on my car, but sometimes I hear the cooling fans run while charging.

coolant pump will run to cool electronics if it is hot enough....then the coolant fans may come on briefly to cool the coolant....if it gets hot enough.

Maybe you have the climate control set to come on automatically?

Back