Padding MSRP With Accessories

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jjeff said:
but then about 4 months later we got a second check with a letter saying there was a mistake with my filing and we were due this much more. My wife was a little leary about cashing it as it was a somewhat large amount but I said as they had all our information, which was accurate and the IRS deemed we were owed it, it must be the case and we cashed it, fingers crossed.

Be aware that the IRS can send you a check, but you are STILL on the hook for repayment if at a later date the IRS decides they were wrong. Hard to believe, but true. You would have to ask a CPA how this tactic affects penalties for non-payment. I want to say that you would only be liable for interest but I am not certain.

So do this as a delaying tactic, not as a trap for the IRS.

jjeff said:
SageBrush said:
jjeff said:
Thanks Sagebrush, so as I took delivery in early November and everything about my vehicle was Japan, it sounds like I'm SOL

When did you sign a contract ?
I ordered more than 2 years prior but the signing of the actual contract wasn't done until we picked it up in November and wrote the check less the deposit.
And that contract has to have at least 5% down that's non-refundable.

For example, if a customer has made a non-refundable deposit or down payment of 5 percent of the total contract price, it is an indication of a binding contract.

Source:
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d

Flyct said:
jjeff said:
..................... Yes it sucked we missed out on the $7500 but I didn't see that changing again in the next couple of years and it was time to make a move
'

A RAV4 Prime Plug-in Hybrid 2021-2022 Acquired 10/1/2022 through 12/31/2022 Qualifies for $3,750

A RAV4 Prime Plug-in Hybrid 2021-2022 Acquired through 9/30/2022 Qualifies for $7,500
As we wrote our check and picked it up the first week in November we should be good for the $3750 :p
Too bad it wasn't a little more than a month earlier but something is better than nothing, thanks, I'll request the $3750 then. I kind of wonder if that isn't why we all the sudden had a vehicle available. With the $3750 loss(from $7500) and the fact that we got a '22 instead of a '23 this late in the year. At least from what I understand the '23 sticker went up and didn't gain much so we were better off in that respect and as we don't plan on selling the vehicle in the near future, the year isn't all that important 10+ years down the line when we go to sell it.

jjeff said:
Flyct said:
jjeff said:
..................... Yes it sucked we missed out on the $7500 but I didn't see that changing again in the next couple of years and it was time to make a move
'

A RAV4 Prime Plug-in Hybrid 2021-2022 Acquired 10/1/2022 through 12/31/2022 Qualifies for $3,750

A RAV4 Prime Plug-in Hybrid 2021-2022 Acquired through 9/30/2022 Qualifies for $7,500
As we wrote our check and picked it up the first week in November we should be good for the $3750 :p
Too bad it wasn't a little more than a month earlier but something is better than nothing, thanks, I'll request the $3750 then. I kind of wonder if that isn't why we all the sudden had a vehicle available. With the $3750 loss(from $7500) and the fact that we got a '22 instead of a '23 this late in the year. At least from what I understand the '23 sticker went up and didn't gain much so we were better off in that respect and as we don't plan on selling the vehicle in the near future, the year isn't all that important 10+ years down the line when we go to sell it.

Flyct is incorrect. The tax credit law changed on 8/17/22. You don't see any Toyotas on this list below:

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/electric-vehicles-for-tax-credit

^^

I also think Flyct is incorrect, if the assembly was outside the US and the RAV prime owner did not put down a non-refundable deposit of at least 5% before the law took effect from August 2022.

SageBrush said:
^^

I also think Flyct is incorrect, if the assembly was outside the US and the RAV prime owner did not put down a non-refundable deposit of at least 5% before the law took effect from August 2022.
Back to where we started :D
Then I think I'll just fill out all the paperwork, using $3750 but not claim it, if the IRS thinks it's valid then I'll let them say so.

Back