Replaced 12v Lead with 12v Lithium

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, shutting down is bad news, thanks for pointing it out. No harm done, back to square one, still looking for a decent replacement for my original flooded lead acid battery (at 3.5+ years now), finding a good replacement seems more convoluted now than ever before... I mean I can see getting an AGM, but it's actually heavier than the flooded, costs more, but does provide longer service life...

gibacca said:
Ugh, shutting down is bad news, thanks for pointing it out. No harm done, back to square one, still looking for a decent replacement for my original flooded lead acid battery (at 3.5+ years now), finding a good replacement seems more convoluted now than ever before... I mean I can see getting an AGM, but it's actually heavier than the flooded, costs more, but does provide longer service life...
And note if looking for an AGM, my brother purchased one online from a company based out of WI? called Remy. It was a decent price(around $160 if memory serves me) but he never got it and Remy did nothing for him, other than pointing to the shipper who did nothing other than saying to contact Remy. I feel kind of bad as I'm the one who steered him to Remy, reading about them online and here on MNL but they sure didn't help him :( he couldn't even go to his CC company as it was a check card from his credit union, which apparently didn't have the protections as a proper credit card.
If it were me I'd have done a lot more calling and complaining but my brother just let it go, $160 down the toilet :(
IMO if cost is your #1 priority I'd just go with a flooded acid battery like OEM, generally around $100.
If cost isn't so much an object then Lithium might be the way to go but maybe not for people in areas that experience lots of days in sub-zero temps, well not unless the mfg. says the battery can be charged in such low temps.
For all others and what I did was to purchase an AGM that weighed the same as an OEM flooded acid battery(I got the yellow top Optima for $200 several years back but might be more now if you can even find a 51R by Optima) and call it good. I personally wouldn't pay much over $200 so even finding an AGM for less than that might be hard. If going the Lithium route I sure wouldn't purchase a cheap one.

gibacca said:
Been scouring Amazon for a Leaf-compatible battery, and finally found something:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDVVXDX3/?coliid=I18A08SWRC0YPW&colid=7H02C6AB69W2&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp&th=1

Widthwise it will fit, although it is shorter than the original and 51R size in general...

Just wondering if anybody had any experience with this battery/manufacturer, and if there is something I am not seeing that would make it a no-go. Price is very appealing ($140), and there is even a $10 coupon right now. Thinking of giving it a go, for the price it does not seem to have any downsides...

(I know about Ohmmu, but it's 3X the price, there is also Powertex at $550 and Antigravity at $$$)

Why would anyone want to use a battery with non-standard battery terminals, and have to Mickey Mouse/cut the OEM terminals?

lorenfb said:
gibacca said:
Been scouring Amazon for a Leaf-compatible battery, and finally found something:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDVVXDX3/?coliid=I18A08SWRC0YPW&colid=7H02C6AB69W2&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp&th=1

Widthwise it will fit, although it is shorter than the original and 51R size in general...

Just wondering if anybody had any experience with this battery/manufacturer, and if there is something I am not seeing that would make it a no-go. Price is very appealing ($140), and there is even a $10 coupon right now. Thinking of giving it a go, for the price it does not seem to have any downsides...

(I know about Ohmmu, but it's 3X the price, there is also Powertex at $550 and Antigravity at $$$)

Why would anyone want to use a battery with non-standard battery terminals, and have to Mickey Mouse/cut the OEM terminals?

LOL they have adapters for these, this is M6. Not the reason not to buy, but thanks for playing.

gibacca said:
lorenfb said:
gibacca said:

LOL they have adapters for these, this is M6. Not the reason not to buy, but thanks for playing.

Still total Mickey Mouse! New to those mechanical things, right? :D

antoinem01 said:
Okay good to hear.
Slightly off topic Any special settings I may have done wrong in OVMS to make it suck up so much energy?
You might want to post any OVMS questions in this topic (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=32715).
The modem and WiFi settings have a huge impact on power consumption.

Thank you for the pointer and sorry for the incovenience.
Posted a question in that part of the forum.
Brdgds,
Antoine

Back