Leaf 24kwh battery swap out for a kia Niro 64kwh. Possible?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glyndwr1998

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has thought of the idea of installing a 64kwh niro pack into a nissan leaf (or in my case an e-NV200.)

Reason, 62kwh not available, and even the 40kwh leaf packs are very expensive here in the UK.
A 64kwh niro pack from a 2021 onwards (so not involved in the battery recall issues) can be bought much cheaper, maybe £4k.

Mechanically they look roughly the same size, and i`m sure mounting it with modified adaptor plates could be acheived if the battery fits in the space underneath.
Cabling shouldnt be an issue with some creative thinking, the same for the cooling, mounting a rad, circulating pump and pipework is no worry.

the issue would be capturing the canbus data from the leaf pack, using a can bridge, and sending the "correct" data to the leaf main ECU to get it to turn on and run.

Whats your thoughts people?

Thanks,
Anthony.

Well, the mechanical side i can do, thats just brackets, metalwork etc....

the electronics / canbus side has been done previously

Example. A canbridge from Daly in finland captures leaf bms data, modifies the data then sends that data to the leaf main ECU (in the event of a battery swap from 24kwh to a 40kwh or 62kwh

A PIS plug in prius kit (i owned one) would intercept the battery ecu data and modify it before sending the modified canbus data to the car ECU.

Im just thinking that, if you know what canbus commands the leaf ECU is requesting, then could it be that by reading that data from the Niro bms, capturing it, then sending that data to the leaf ECU it should work, as afetr all, the leaf ECU is getting the data that it is requesting, it doesnt know if its been intercepted ot not, it assumes its comes from where its told its from

A leafspy captures bms data
Im sure the niro / kona has a similar dongle that also captures similar data, so, folks have cracked the capturing process, its a case of a coder knowing what the new canbus command needs to be to be sent to eh ECU

Anthony.

Back