EV Charging Cable 296900 Fault & Red Light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alozzy said:
nlspace said:
That's a Nema 5-20 on the right, not a 6-20.

How can you tell the difference? I'm not an electrician, but I thought a 5-20 and a 6-20 looked the same?

Look down a page and on the right, a chart shows the various NEMA plugs.
The outlet the OP has is a 20a 120v outlet.
I don't have any experience with buck/boost transformers, I'm hoping maybe member whitney would respond but I'd also think you might have a grounding issue giving you the fault. Looks like you've done some nice work and you're probably 99% there, don't give up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

nlspace said:
That's a Nema 5-20 on the right, not a 6-20.
NEMA 5- vs 6-

Sorry, just noticed your link. Thanks for explaining, I understand now that the right blade on the receptacle for the 6-20R is horizontal, rather than vertical. I've never actually seen a 6-20R before, much appreciated!

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
I have the Nissan EVSE that came with my 2013 LEAF. It has been upgraded to also work with L2 by (the now defunct) evseupgrade.com.
Anybody know its voltage range ?

Oddly enough (or perhaps not), I have only used it a handful of times, and never as an L2.

Addendum: I found the answer courtesy of the wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180815150625/http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2
Note: This is the upgrade service for the unit supplied with 2013 and 2014 North American Nissan LEAF. It requires a minimum 30 amp 208-240 volt outlet for high-power charging!
If you only have 20A circuit available for charging, or have a different model, we have special options,

Should work fine. The EVSE I got with the car only works on 70% of outlets tested. EVSE Upgrade has worked on every outlet tested. I have same issues; won't charge on 208 with LEAF EVSE. Lot of heft for the value it provides.
nlspace said:
there has to be a good ground path. The EVSSE does a ground check before activation, i.e. it will intentionally create a circuit path to leak a small current to ground, if it doesn't read within expectations it won't activate. The boost transformer is likely isolated from earth ground such that there is no path thru ground back to the secondary windings output.

It was the Ground.

SageBrush said:
^^ Does the EVSE provide error codes, say via blinking lights ?

No, it doesnt.

Ok, after following the grounds we realized that the ground was together with the neutral, we separated it and it worked.

Now the Leaf charger works on the 14-50 outlets with the lower voltage and the outlets with the transformers to 240V.

This was the problem, all fixed!

20210129-143107.jpg

Thank you all.

cheves said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
I have the Nissan EVSE that came with my 2013 LEAF. It has been upgraded to also work with L2 by (the now defunct) evseupgrade.com.
Anybody know its voltage range ?

Oddly enough (or perhaps not), I have only used it a handful of times, and never as an L2.

Addendum: I found the answer courtesy of the wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180815150625/http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

Should work fine. The EVSE I got with the car only works on 70% of outlets tested. EVSE Upgrade has worked on every outlet tested. I have same issues; won't charge on 208 with LEAF EVSE. Lot of heft for the value it provides.
nlspace said:
there has to be a good ground path. The EVSSE does a ground check before activation, i.e. it will intentionally create a circuit path to leak a small current to ground, if it doesn't read within expectations it won't activate. The boost transformer is likely isolated from earth ground such that there is no path thru ground back to the secondary windings output.

that would cause the problem...thanks for the update!

It was the Ground.

SageBrush said:
^^ Does the EVSE provide error codes, say via blinking lights ?

No, it doesnt.

Ok, after following the grounds we realized that the ground was together with the neutral, we separated it and it worked.

Now the Leaf charger works on the 14-50 outlets with the lower voltage and the outlets with the transformers to 240V.

This was the problem, all fixed!

20210129-143107.jpg

Thank you all.

That would cause the problem...thanks for the update!

Hello, I realize this is an older thread but I’m getting the same fault on my charge cable , same model as OP, 296900 made by Panasonic.

Plug it into my leaf, it thinks about it for a few seconds, the leaf charge level light\s even start blinking for a few seconds, then the red fault light comes on and the orange power light starts blinking, while the green ready light stays on.

It does this with both 110V and 240V outlets (although I only have one 240V outlet to try).

The cable came with my 2018 leaf that I’ve had for 53 months. I’ve used this cable reliably on this 240V outlet for the entire time, charging 4-5 nights a week.

A week ago it stopped working. Out of warranty. I had it plugged in over night, as normal. My mom brought her Volt over and plugged in, and it faulted. Then I plugged back into my leaf and the fault remained.

I opened up the J1772 head side, nothing out of the ordinary or any visible water damage.
Any suggestions on what to look for in the box/common failure points? Any other suggestions? It’s a robust cable, seemingly more than it needs to be for 28Amps. Hate to throw it away.

Thank you.

Back