What will my 2022 Leaf SL Plus bring in?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
Flyct said:
Tesla said I can pay for the new car at Delivery using their app to pay directly from savings account or bring a cashiers check.

Wire or bank check, in my experience. I'm pretty sure they will not accept a personal check, regardless of which account it is drawn from.

They have an app called “Tesla Plaid” that you can link directly to your bank account and immediately transfer on the spot. After reading negative stories about plaid I won’t use them. I’ll bring a cashiers check to the store when I pick it up.

Tesla delivery is scheduled and Nissan buy back is scheduled.

Selling Nissan to dealer Wednesday
Picking up new Tesla on Friday in Tampa

Flyct said:
SageBrush said:
Flyct said:
Tesla said I can pay for the new car at Delivery using their app to pay directly from savings account or bring a cashiers check.

Wire or bank check, in my experience. I'm pretty sure they will not accept a personal check, regardless of which account it is drawn from.

They have an app called “Tesla Plaid” that you can link directly to your bank account and immediately transfer on the spot.

That is a wire by another mother, although I'm not sure how Tesla circumvents batch processing by the wire folks. I also chose a bank check to avoid problems, since I did not want to take a chance of having to stay overnight or return another day if the immediate payment did not go through,

The paper check was also a reminder to myself to inspect the car before I paid. While rare, there have been stories of new cars with relatively serious fit&finish (f&f) issues that might make a customer decide to skip that car. Be aware that Tesla has a policy that any f&f defect reported in the first 24 hours after delivery is the same as reporting before payment. So by all means do a close and thorough inspection within 24 hours, and notify Tesla with photo documentation of issues you would like fixed.

SageBrush said:
Flyct said:
Here’s the offer:
“Good morning Sir. I just got to work and I was told that the number would be $33,000“

The 2023 cost me $32,554 ($38,255 MSRP

Without the tax credit, most people would value the used LEAF as not more than 38,225 - 7,500 = 30,725

Something is fishy or undisclosed about the $33k offer, or the dealership is in for a surprise.

I'm not sure why it seems fishy. I was offered $38K for my Leaf back in August. I had about 5000 miles on it. I'm hoping for a little close to that now that I'm closer to 10K. I'm hoping for near $34K when I sell it, but we'll see.

SageBrush said:
Without the tax credit, most people would value the used LEAF as not more than 38,225 - 7,500 = 30,725

Something is fishy or undisclosed about the $33k offer, or the dealership is in for a surprise.

I completed the Buy Back to the local Nissan dealer today for $33,000. There were no surprises.

This is the first time in 7 years that I have been without an EV. It's strange having to go to a gas station and not having an EV plugged in the the EVSE in the garage.

My Tesla will be delivered Next Friday 12/16 with a -$3,750 price adjustment. I initially though it was to be delivered this week but after looking at delivery date more carefully I was off one Friday. Tesla told me today that the car in in Georgia and is expected to arrive at Florida next Wednesday.

Tesla has multiple Model Y and Model S cars in stock for immediate delivery. I think this is because either people are cancelling contracts to either hold out for potential Tax Credit next year or the current interest rates are making people change their minds.

Flyct said:
Tesla has multiple Model Y and Model S cars in stock for immediate delivery. I think this is because either people are cancelling contracts to either hold out for potential Tax Credit next year.

They likely locked in a price lower than today when they reserved the car.

SageBrush said:
Flyct said:
Tesla has multiple Model Y and Model S cars in stock for immediate delivery. I think this is because either people are cancelling contracts to either hold out for potential Tax Credit next year.

They likely locked in a price lower than today when they reserved the car.

I suspect that Tesla is trying to sell to people that are trying to wait for the tax incentive to kick in next month. If I were buying, I'd go ahead and buy a discounted Tesla now and heck, maybe trade it in for a new one next year and double-dip on that tax incentive/discount, if used car prices don't budge.

On another note, I think I'll get my Leaf appraised again as my Bolt order has been completed. If I can get a trade-in price that neutralizes the APR rate that they want, I'll definitely pull the trigger, but I'm perfectly ok with keeping the Leaf if the numbers don't pan out. I would prefer to have all the features that the Bolt has that can't be had in any Leaf trim. Damn shame that Nissan limits some of the options that are available on the Bolt (Pano-roof and Ventilated seats being the big ones).

^^ One way to play the APR game is to accept a high(er) rate from the car company, and then refinance with someone else. Credit Unions typically give new car rates for cars less than 6 or 12 months old. YMMV. Be sure to read the original contract, looking for any fees or penalties for early termination.

In your specific case, I think you are chasing your own tail. But by all means, carry on. :lol:

SageBrush said:
^^ One way to play the APR game is to accept a high(er) rate from the car company, and then refinance with someone else. Credit Unions typically give new car rates for cars less than 6 or 12 months old. YMMV. Be sure to read the original contract, looking for any fees or penalties for early termination.

In your specific case, I think you are chasing your own tail. But by all means, carry on. :lol:

Well the beauty of my situation is that I don't have to buy the car, the Leaf is a 2022 so it can last me for a while. But, I'll also get another $3500~ish from the combination of Employee Discounts and other stackable discounts. I figure if the trade-in for my Leaf is decent and around the same price for the Bolt after all the discounts, I'll be in decent shape. They claim that they're offering 2.9% financing for well-qualified buyers, but we'll see. The other part of this is that I actually have a Blazer EV on order. I figure trading in another Chevy product for that SUV would mean a bit better trade, and I won't have so many miles on it, unlike the Leaf if I decide to keep it. Oh and the final option would be for me to trade my ICE and my Leaf for the Blazer, but that will only happen if I decide to get the SS trim.

Update:

Sold back the 2023 SV Plus to the dealer for a $33,000 check. Accountant said I still can claim $7,500 tax credit on my return so the Leaf didn’t cost me anything to own for the 6 weeks I had it.

Took delivery of the Tesla Model Y Long Range in Gray with 20” black wheels on 12/15 for $69,715 out the door. Tesla has a very different ordering and delivery process.

Tesla applied a $3,750 discount and 2 years/10,000 miles of free supercharging
The following week Tesla bumped the discount to $7,500 if delivered between 12/21-12/31. I missed the additional $3,750 discount by 6 days. These were actual discounts in price vs rebates so discounts are pre tax, where rebates are taxable.

I’ll post a comparison between the Leaf and and Tesla later. They are different animals for sure.

Flyct said:
Update:

Sold back the 2023 SV Plus to the dealer for a $33,000 check. Accountant said I still can claim $7,500 tax credit on my return so the Leaf didn’t cost me anything to own for the 6 weeks I had it.

Took delivery of the Tesla Model Y Long Range in Gray with 20” black wheels on 12/15 for $69,715 out the door. Tesla has a very different ordering and delivery process.

The following week Tesla bumped the discount to $7,500 if delivered between 12/21-12/31. I missed the additional $3,750 discount by 6 days. These were actual discounts in price vs rebates so discounts are pre tax, where rebates are taxable.

I’ll post a comparison between the Leaf and and Tesla later. They are different animals for sure.

I tried to buy one the day Tesla began offering the $7500 discount but the 200 mile search went from 15 vehicles to none in a few hours. Now, most Model Y's won't qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. Hopefully Tesla will respond with a sub $55k model that qualifies for the tax credit or come up with a good commercial lease deal.

Flyct said:
Update:

The more I read about Tesla panel gaps, and other owner nightmares, the more I'm convinced that I won't be buying one of their products. The other problem is that they're so mainstream now. I've seen some people already driving around in Teslas with beat up exterior paint and spare tires being used as regular tires (same Tesla in the area with the same setup for the past several months). I don't see them updating their design anytime soon, as their design appears to have grown long in the tooth. Once a new design is released, I suspect the current models are really going to take a hit.

And, I have some pretty sad news to report on my original quest. A local Nissan dealership offered me $28K for my 2022 SL Plus. This is sadly a far cry from the $38K that they offered me 4000 miles and 3 months prior. This does put a little kink in my plans of getting into a better equipped Chevy Bolt as there's no way that I'm going to dump any negative equity into the Bolt, especially since they want to finance me at over 3%. I may just keep the Leaf and drive it until my Blazer EV order has arrived, or wait until the supposed hike in gas prices happens in 2023 and sell it for closer to the $38K that I was offered 3 months ago. Here's hoping for another reason for gas/oil companies to hike prices. :p

BeyondBeLeaf said:
And, I have some pretty sad news to report on my original quest. A local Nissan dealership offered me $28K for my 2022 SL Plus.
I get the impression that dealers are still trying to get msrp for LEAFs on the lot or in transit, which suggests that the new car pipeline is still sluggish from supply chain disruptions. As that resolves, LEAF pricing will go back to ~ 15% below msrp like it was for years and years, and your used car value will fall in equal measure.

I say $20 - 23k value in Jan 2024. The Bolt has a $7,500 tax credit for the next couple of months that I don't think has been (much) priced into dealer prices yet. Your swap is not a great deal now, but I think it will only get worse as time goes on.

I believe EVs can still demand a premium, but gassers are back below msrp..at least if you negotiate. Dealers try to ask a premium, but will back off pretty quickly for most cars given supply of many models has caught up.

Flyct said:
SageBrush said:

I completed the Buy Back to the local Nissan dealer today for $33,000. There were no surprises.

This is the first time in 7 years that I have been without an EV. It's strange having to go to a gas station and not having an EV plugged in the the EVSE in the garage.

My Tesla will be delivered Next Friday 12/16 with a -$3,750 price adjustment. I initially though it was to be delivered this week but after looking at delivery date more carefully I was off one Friday. Tesla told me today that the car in in Georgia and is expected to arrive at Florida next Wednesday.

It’s been 1 month since I sold our 2023 Leaf SV Plus back to the dealer for $33,000. They have had it listed for $37,558 plus $999 dealer fee. That’s a crazy price for a used Leaf that’s not eligible for a tax credit. I wonder if they screwed up on my buyback offer.

I’m liking the Tesla for the increased range, increased comfort and much better sound system. It has some quirks.

Everyone was surprised that the Tesla 5 seat Model Y doesn’t qualify for new tax credit so taking the offer with a $3,750 discount and 10,000 miles of free supercharge was a good decision in retrospect. Tesla upped the discount to $7,500 the last 10 days of the year. I missed that deal but still happy at least I got the $3,750 discount.

Superchargers are everywhere, they’re really fast and easy to use. Just back in, plug in and it pumps at a rate of 435 miles of range per hour.

SageBrush said:
BeyondBeLeaf said:
And, I have some pretty sad news to report on my original quest. A local Nissan dealership offered me $28K for my 2022 SL Plus.
I get the impression that dealers are still trying to get msrp for LEAFs on the lot or in transit, which suggests that the new car pipeline is still sluggish from supply chain disruptions. As that resolves, LEAF pricing will go back to ~ 15% below msrp like it was for years and years, and your used car value will fall in equal measure.

I say $20 - 23k value in Jan 2024. The Bolt has a $7,500 tax credit for the next couple of months that I don't think has been (much) priced into dealer prices yet. Your swap is not a great deal now, but I think it will only get worse as time goes on.

I think it may go back up in a few months when people are speculating that gas prices may go as high as $7.00 a gallon. Having done the math for the Bolt EUV that I anticipated buying, interest rates are up, and the incentives I had of at least $4500 have fallen off since December 31st. Oh well, I don't mind holding onto the Leaf, especially since I'm paying 0% APR. The only reason I was looking at the Bolt is that it has a few more features that I wish my SL Plus had (sunroof and ventilated seats).

Flyct said:
It’s been 1 month since I sold our 2023 Leaf SV Plus back to the dealer for $33,000. They have had it listed for $37,558 plus $999 dealer fee. That’s a crazy price for a used Leaf that’s not eligible for a tax credit. I wonder if they screwed up on my buyback offer.

It’s now 2 months since I sold our 2023 Leaf SV Plus to the dealer for $33,000. They now have it listed for $35,456 plus $999 dealer fee. Still overpriced.

When the Gov finishes its rule making, the LEAF EV credit will drop to $3,750. In conjunction with improving inventory, that is going to put severe price pressure on new LEAFs. The drop in EV credit will also pull out all those used car shoppers who were unable to take advantage of more than $3,750 EV credit due to inadequate income tax.

I expect prices of about $30k for a new SV+, so your used one is going to have to be under $30k to sell. I'll guess $27.5k
Your dealer would be smart to price the car to move now, but I think they have proven themselves to not be clued-in. They are using ICE pricing methods developed during stable market conditions and no regulatory effects. As I told you, they are going to be sad they bought your car.

The sky high EV prices of last year were due to severe car shortages and high gas prices. Now we have neither, but we do have inflation.

I expect prices of about $30k for a new SV+, so your used one is going to have to be under $30k to sell. I'll guess $27.5k

I keep seeing numbers like this posted, both as expectations/demands and as predictions. Price cuts of this magnitude aren't going to happen, and they don't need to happen. The SV+ will sell well enough if they drop it to roughly $37K, and the S will sell at $25-27k. Anything beyond that is wishful thinking, and any claims that no one will buy the car with more modest price cuts ignore one rather important likely fact: very soon now people who still like traditional ICE sedans will be looking for an EV, and most of those are likely to want an EV that reminds them of their Corolla/Camry/Civic/Accord. That 'introductory EV' is still the Leaf.

LeftieBiker said:
The SV+ will sell well enough if they drop it to roughly $37K, and the S will sell at $25-27k.

If cars.com is something to go by, SV+ prices are already below $36k at a few dealers, and this is before the expected halving of the tax credit and further expansion of dealer inventory.

Oh... and let's not forget the progressive mummification of the CHAdeMO network.

Back