Losing charge overnight (2014)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuserLimon

Hello. Newbie question here.
I have just purchased a 2014 Nissan Leaf.
I also pushed it through buyer's inspection and they said that both the battery and the whole car are in the good condition.

However I feel like the battery is not holding the charge well.

For example, I charge it up in the evening. Park. Come back in the morning and the charge is down 5%. Is this normal? I live in PNW so it's not even that cold.

Also, I feel like the battery loses the charge much much faster than what the mile estimation indicator suggests.

I am a little disappointed and disheartened. Was I sold a lemon?

I drive in ECO mode, no heater on. Just radio, seats and the wheel warmer.

Please let me know if this seems suspicious.

Count the small bars on the right side of the display in front of the steering wheel. Those bars indicate the condition of the traction battery so knowing the number of bars will help us to offer opinions and suggestions.

How are you determining the 5% loss? Are you looking at the guess-o-meter (silly number on the right followed by miles or km) or the actual 1% increment state of charge display?

LeftieBiker said:
For example, I charge it up in the evening. Park. Come back in the morning and the charge is down 5%. Is this normal? I live in PNW so it's not even that cold.

Are you charging it to 100%, or something less than that?

Does it make difference?

With such a tiny battery I could see losing that much charge just to battery balancing after charging.

Something like leaf spy would give you a better idea if it's because of that.

FuserLimon said:
LeftieBiker said:

Are you charging it to 100%, or something less than that?

Does it make difference?

Yes it does make a difference. In any battery meters are not perfect. If you charge to what it’ it says 80% it may only be 75%. You need to charge you 100% to see what it really is capable of holding after the modules all normalize together. That will give you a baseline on what your total capacity is. If you charge only half way you have no baseline to start.

Back