Battery Upgrade, Pairing? - What's possible with LeafSpyPro and what's not

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
knightmb said:
SageBrush said:
Thanks Dala.

You have me wishing that 40 kWh packs were available

I've found out recently (in my area which is Nissan HQ) that it is possible to order 40 kWh packs locally and just get them in raw form, as-is condition, new. But they cost was around $11k for the 40 kWh pack, so probably not cost effective versus looking for a salvage. :(

What about 62's?

goldbrick said:
I agree that $11k for a 40kWh pack isn't unreasonable. The 'as-is' part does give me pause since it implies no warranty. That may not be a problem but it could also be an outlet for Nissan to sell batteries that they don't want to put into cars for whatever reason.

This is somewhat normal. Since its a standalone, you can use it for anything you want including non transportation applications.

DaveinOlyWA said:
knightmb said:
SageBrush said:
Thanks Dala.

You have me wishing that 40 kWh packs were available

I've found out recently (in my area which is Nissan HQ) that it is possible to order 40 kWh packs locally and just get them in raw form, as-is condition, new. But they cost was around $11k for the 40 kWh pack, so probably not cost effective versus looking for a salvage. :(

What about 62's?

At the time, we were only looking for the 40 kWh packs, so we didn't ask about the 62. We were surprised they even gave us a price as most just say you can't do it.

I recently completed my first 62kWh upgrade, I updated the text section about my findings and part numbers.

I made a video on the topic also, check it out if you are planning a budget 62kWh upgrade! :)

https://youtu.be/WMMEooP3AZ0

Yes Dala,
Many thanks for a terrific informative film. I can't understand why Nissan main dealers are not offering this kind of service to original Leaf buyers and saving thousands of cars from any early grave.

altruistica said:
Yes Dala,
Many thanks for a terrific informative film. I can't understand why Nissan main dealers are not offering this kind of service to original Leaf buyers and saving thousands of cars from any early grave.

Yes, keep up the great work Daniel!

As for Nissan, they don't care less about supporting older cars, just want to sell you a new one!

Dala said:
My take on the battery upgrades are now 100% open source! Video with more info:

https://youtu.be/zRk_W0O-WUU

And link to Github: https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-LEAF-Battery-Upgrade

hello Dala
I have some questions about 2 port budget.
I do everything you wrote here.

"Flash with BridgeFlasher.exe located in software folder. The compiled .srec files are located in output folder. For ST LINK CLI, point the exe towards the "ST-LINK_CLI.exe" located in the "STM32 ST-LINK Utility" folder that appears after installing it."

can bridge programmer says

"Unlock Success
Patched SREC with unique ID
Programming Complete!"

does it mean that i can install this 2 port can bridge on my car? 2012 year with 40 kwh battery, nothing was changed in battery, I changed only the battery modules, not BMS or anything else.

To be clear, you have replaced the 2012 modules (sardine can) with double height 40 kwh modules? This is the battery enclosure with the rubber gasket? I don't think you want the can bridge in there because the original 2012 LBC/BMS is still in there. In your situation, many people have said there will be issues with the LBC/BMS being confused by the new modules and maybe not giving good information on the dashboard, but I personally don't know. I would be very interested to see how this works out. Definitely monitor charging and discharging closely with Leaf Spy to make sure the cells are kept in the safe range of voltages.

If the battery is still out of the car, you should consider connecting Leaf Spy to it using this approach https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-Leaf-Battery-to-OBD2 just to make sure the LBC/BMS is working normally and reporting values. Also see if the cell balancing looks OK.

The wiring in the 2011 2012 battery is only compatible with the 2011 2012 LBC/BMS. Connecting later versions LBC/BMS into that wiring will result in a smoked controller.

shuma89 said:
does it mean that i can install this 2 port can bridge on my car? 2012 year with 40 kwh battery, nothing was changed in battery, I changed only the battery modules, not BMS or anything else.

Nope! This software is only for doing CLEAN OEM direct pack upgrades. Not cell bruteforce swaps.

Dala said:
shuma89 said:

Nope! This software is only for doing CLEAN OEM direct pack upgrades. Not cell bruteforce swaps.

Thanks for reply.
My Zeo counts only 22-23kwh, but there is about 36-37kwh, what can i do to solve this problem? Can your other can bridge help me?

Question regarding paring the LBC to the VCM: if I change out the VCM, but not the traction battery, will the same P3102 code appear? And is this cleared in the same way as if the P3102 was from a battery swap? Is the update resident on the VCM (99% sure this is a yes)?

I am not changing a VCM--I am just trying to understand what components in the Leaf need to be programmed after a replacement so I can do some long term planning for keeping one or two ZE0s alive well past their expiration date. I know the battery swap needs to include an update--but what else? Outside of any security systems, are there any other components that need to be programmed/re-programmed after they have been replaced? TIA for any knowledge shared here.

This seems relevant, and has a decent discussion of the issues:

https://evsenhanced.com/product/nissan-leaf-40kwh-lithium-battery-controller-lbc/

Plus probably their battery translator (there is a link on the above page). Note that the prices will be in New Zealand dollars.

Edit: It might make more sense for you to source the LBC in the US, if it can be found.

MikeinPA said:
Question regarding paring the LBC to the VCM: if I change out the VCM, but not the traction battery, will the same P3102 code appear? And is this cleared in the same way as if the P3102 was from a battery swap? Is the update resident on the VCM (99% sure this is a yes)?

Yes, P3102 will appear and can be cleared with Leafspy Pro

However, if you swap VCM you will have another problem. The VCM is paired to the BCM, and the BCM contains the Keys needed to start the vehicle. So if you plan to swap in a new VCM, get the matching BCM and the keys for that vehicle to avoid this headache!

Thank you Dala! VCM is paired to the Body Control Module. Got it. I am assuming only the dealer can pair these. Are there any other components that need pairing? Why do I ask?

We drive very little (8,000 miles a year across three vehicles), and we will be retiring sometime in this decade, so I am seriously looking at keeping two or three of theses cars going for a while if it is not too hard. Save money for something else, keep some Leafs out of the scrap yard, leave a new EV on the lot for a driver with more range needs, and avoid the carbon debt of building a new car for us. The last is pretty important to us. The batteries will be an issue eventually, but I am guessing there will be some workarounds to that in the next five or ten years. The only unknown is whether I can keep up with EV component failure. You have just helped a lot. Thanks.

Edit, just looked on Ebay and the first listing is for a matched BCM, VCM and two keys. That makes sense now. Of course, which version is the VCM--w QC or w/o QC? I may start working on a part number catalog for the ZE0 2013 forward.

Hello
I have problem and I need you help if possible.
I have installed a 24kW battery from a Nissan from 2012 in my Nissan from 2011
Now AUTOMATIC 12V BATTERY CHARGE CONTROL works all the time. Even when I turn off the car.
The charging light keeps flashing and on battery is 14.5 V
My car was without BATTERY HEATER CONTROL SYSTEM. Model 2012 is with this system ,
How can I fix it. ?

Back