How do I calculate my cost per mile?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clivech

I'm charging up at 12p per Kwh. But how do I convert that into a figure for cost per mile? It's a 2012 Leaf, and I'm not sure if it tells me what my efficiency is.

My 2012 gen 1 Leaf was very efficient at 4 to 4.5 miles per kWh - with good tire pressure and 65 mph max on highway driving (mix). Pure electric costs per mile at $0.14 per kWh (current contract) would be $0.035 per mile (0.14/4=0.035).
My 2011 Suburban (not a great comparison - but for me) gets around 20 miles per gallon (mostly highway). At $2.75 a gallon, that would be $0.14 per mile. I save quite a bit driving my Leaf.
My 2021 Leaf SV is almost as efficient - 4.1 miles/kWh average overall.

Thanks, marktm. I just bought a 2014 Leaf and it shows I'm getting 3.4miles/kWh, so I know it's costing me between 3p and 4p a mile. I wish the 2012 had a similar function on its display, but it doesn't seem to. But I'm guessing it's not substantially different. This compares very favourably with the 14p/mile I would be getting in the UK currently from a petrol engine doing 40mpg and with petrol costing £1.45/litre.

clivech said:
I just bought a 2014 Leaf and it shows I'm getting 3.4miles/kWh,

Not sure why you are getting such low mi/kWh, however, the usual issues are low tire pressure, high highway speeds, low temperatures (battery capacity) and the use of cabin heating. In South Texas, it's mainly A/C, but it is so efficient, the loss of range is minimal.

Back