Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The degradation is reasonable for a car from Phoenix. Here are the numbers from the last charge of my 2019 SL Plus (at full charge):
62,647 miles
150.75 AHr
85.46% SOH
70.53% Hx
403.77 V
4.202; 4.206; 4.212 V
10 mV
23 QC and 435 L1/L2 (after charging)
644 "GIDS"

I purchased the car new in Scottsdale, AZ on August 10, 2019.

ClarD said:
Have you enabled “ELM Assist Mode” under “Options”?
There was a version where setting that was supposed to allow some OBD adapters to work, but there was a bug that caused the logging to stop.
I unchecked that box, and logging resumed. I don't know if the bug was fixed, but Leafspy was aware of the bug.
Under Options I only have Skip reading headlight status, Disable forcing energy display, Disable sound, Enable delayed Leaf transfer mode 30 ms, LELink^2 zero power mode, Safe mode and Exit after trip/chrg saved

GerryAZ said:
The newest version of LEAF Spy saves the files in a different location under the Android operating system than earlier versions. The log files may be in the new location if you updated LEAF Spy during that time frame. I thought I lost my log files when I had to upgrade the cheap Android phone I use in the car just for LEAF Spy, but I read the help file which explained the new file structure. My older log files were in their original location on the old phone while newer log files were in the new file structure. I copied all of them to my computer and then started with a clean slate on the new phone.

I will check it. Thanks.

crunchy3d said:
GerryAZ said:
The newest version of LEAF Spy saves the files in a different location under the Android operating system than earlier versions. The log files may be in the new location if you updated LEAF Spy during that time frame. I thought I lost my log files when I had to upgrade the cheap Android phone I use in the car just for LEAF Spy, but I read the help file which explained the new file structure. My older log files were in their original location on the old phone while newer log files were in the new file structure. I copied all of them to my computer and then started with a clean slate on the new phone.

I will check it. Thanks.

Checked and the directory exists:
\Android\data\com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro\files\LOG_FILES

Thanks again!

Hello, I am a longtime user if Leafspy but have recently been diving into logging data to help assist with some efficiency projects. I am trying to use LeafSpy to log data (GPS and wheel speed, motor power, elevation, etc) from leafspy at approx 2 second intervals. However, I am only able to log data approx every 10 seconds, even when I set leafspy to ‘2 sec’ logging interval. I am using version 1.7.38 (iOS 15.3.1) and a LELink 2 dongle.

I am able to get a faster rate using “BMS mode”, but that does not include the data I care about.

Are there any improvements I can make to enable faster data logging?

Thanks in advance!

leaf2307 said:
Are there any improvements I can make to enable faster data logging?

Some OBD readers are faster than others.
I think my LeLink^2 is very slow.
After discussing this with Turbo3, he said "If you want to spend the money the OBDLINK LX/MX are the fastest."
The OBDLink site says that the BLE link is too slow, and you should use standard Bluetooth for best performance.
I think that means you need an Android, because Apple doesn't play nice with standard Bluetooth.

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

ClarD said:
I think that means you need an Android, because Apple doesn't play nice with standard Bluetooth.

Can you clarify what “doesn’t play nice” means? I use bluetooth speakers and other devices with my iOS device all the time and they seem to work OK…?

I received my OBDLink MX+ in the mail today and have been trying to get it to connect to iOS LeafSpy Pro without luck. I AM able to connect the iPhone to the OBDLink via bluetooth, but LeafSpy Pro does not appear to be receiving any data. Is there a certain procedure I should follow in order to get it to connect?

Or do I just need to break down and buy an Android...?

I apologize for not reading everything in the post but I have a LeafSpy Pro on my 2014 and see that logging of motor and inverters temps is available. Is there a mode or screen that shows the motor or inverter temps without logging. I did not seem to find anything, even when 'adding' screens. Thanks!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ok, I remember it but can't find it. What is the workaround to join up Dropbox? I saw the one comment that says to redo link but I apparently do not have the option

Per the manual, which worked for me after I changed my Dropbox password:

"When Dropbox is not enabled a Reset ID button will appear to the right. A long press on that button will clear the registered Dropbox ID allowing a different ID to be used when Dropbox is enabled again"

dsevier said:
I apologize for not reading everything in the post but I have a LeafSpy Pro on my 2014 and see that logging of motor and inverters temps is available. Is there a mode or screen that shows the motor or inverter temps without logging. I did not seem to find anything, even when 'adding' screens. Thanks!

The Motor Temperature can be seen on "Screen 4".
Tap the left side of the energy display, and the text above will cycle between sets of Data. RPM and Motor Temp are one of the data sets.

There is also a "Custom Screen", that displays the gauges, but does no logging.
You can control what appears here, but I've never done the modifications.

The file ./LEAF_BT_CAN/LeafSpy_Help_1.4.0.pdf should be on your phone after installing Leafspy.

Can't get Leaf Spy Pro to work with LELink dongle on Android 12. Dongle works with Car Scanner app fine, but LSP can't see the dongle or read from it. Wired.

In-app help suggests that may be a problem with new generation of dongles but just checking here in case anyone else managed to get this dongle to work recently?

decimal said:
Can't get Leaf Spy Pro to work with LELink dongle on Android 12. Dongle works with Car Scanner app fine, but LSP can't see the dongle or read from it. Wired.

In-app help suggests that may be a problem with new generation of dongles but just checking here in case anyone else managed to get this dongle to work recently?

Are you trying to run both apps at the same time? iirc correctly, I tried a beta version of an app (don't remember which) and it caused LSP to stop working.

Hi Leaf Spy gurus..

Hoping someone could analyse this Leaf Spy report - lots of red bars - I understand this is small movement of charge tryign to equalise the overall voltage? Something like that?

Is below normal / not normal?
Cause for concern?

2017 30Kwh

2026936702.jpg

Thanks for any help :)

Yes, the red bars are just showing cells being shunted to equalize them. The difference in cell voltages (14m is great) is what matters more. The SOH is a bit low, though...

rukksi said:
Hi Leaf Spy gurus..

Hoping someone could analyse this Leaf Spy report - lots of red bars - I understand this is small movement of charge tryign to equalise the overall voltage? Something like that?

Is below normal / not normal?
Cause for concern?

2017 30Kwh

2026936702.jpg

Thanks for any help :)

Normal. The only concern I have is the full charge. Are you driving that much daily?

FYI; I always ask even if I already know the answer.

Today I was using LSP to monitor my EV conversion while giving it one of it's first test drives (it uses Leaf Gen1 motor, inverter and battery". When I looked down at LSP screen one that shows the 96 cell voltages the screen showed "0 L" at the top (to the left of the cell mv diff value" which I immediately thought it meant Overload. Later it displayed as "3 L" which made me realize the first char is a zero. Can anyone tell me what these mean? I can't find any info on it in the doc or on google. Note: later I discovered that I can tap the screen in this location and cycle through values such as OFF, 5.1 sec and blank. TIA

The only way i can get the odometer in leafspy pro to show the correct milage figure, is having the overall app units set to m/km/kmh. Weirdly the 'odometer in miles' checkbox isnt there all the time and when it is, it makes no difference.
If I set the units to feet, mile, mph the odometer reading shows the correct milage but converted to km so divided by a factor of 1.609344.
Is this a bug or am I missing something?
Thanks.

2019 E-NV200 40kWh (UK)
Android 12 on a Galaxy tab A7 10
Leafspy Pro v0.53.189
Latest Carista OBD dongle

Back