Problems with LeafSpy and dongle...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(I posted this topic on 3/28/23 in the Problems and Troubleshooting but it seems stuck waiting on a moderator? Since I'm not allowed to send a private message to anyone yet, please feel free to delete that other topic or this topic as appropriate...)

I recently bought a 2019 Leaf SL Plus. It had ~16K miles on it and, after reading some in this forum and other places, I was concerned about the health of the battery so, before the money back warranty on the transaction expired, I bought a LELink^2 Bluetooth OBD dongle and LeafSpy Pro.

My SOH was 91.55% which I think was good enough but I'm fighting with the way LeafSpy Pro interfaces with my dongle as I'd like to collect data over time .

I have a Pixel 6 Pro and when I try to pair with the dongle, they never pair -- Bluetooth config "sees" device but no pair challenge or option to pair. As long as I it's visible to Android (attempting to pair), LeafSpy seems to be able to get readings. When I leave and get back in the car, I have to go through the same lame process (attempt to pair, restart LeafSpy app) to be able to get LeafSpy connected to the OBD dongle.

I presume this is a problem with the dongle (has same problem with apps other than LeafSpy).

So my questions:
  1. Does anyone else either have this problem with this dongle using Android or have this dongle that will reliably pair?
  2. Is there a different OBD dongle that works better (e.g. pairs so it's remembered) with Android and LeafSpy Pro?

1. I have no experience with the dongle you're using.

LeftieBiker said:
I've had no trouble in almost 10 years with the dongle in my signature, which is still sold.

I've also been using the BAFX dongle with no troubles on Leaf Spy Lite or Pro since 2018.

LELink is Bluetooth LE. It shouldn't require any pairing. Turbo3 mentioned to me (in person) about not needing to pair Bluetooth LE dongles on iOS.

At least your phone is a relatively recent Android phone. (I carry a Pixel 6 for work.) I can't help as I've never had LELink and no longer have a Leaf. I had a Bluetooth non-LE dongle which did require pairing. I got it before LeafSpy had Bluetooth LE support and began using both in 2015.

Back