Nissan is Either Ending Free Remote Access or Wants You to Pay Them Anyway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftieBiker

Staff member
Nisan regularly sends emails to people with late model Leafs, trying to get them to pay for the initially free premium features of Nissan Connect. Today's email crosses a line, however. Under the heading "Stay Cool This Summer!" it mentions remote climate control access, and strongly implies that you have to pay for the premium services to get it.
Quote function disabled to stop SQL Error. Nope, still there. I'll try posting in blocks if needed.

Enjoy 2 months of NissanConnect® Services for only $11* and take advantage of all of the benefits these services bring to your drive this summer.
ACTIVATE NOW
Offer Ends 5/31/23. Paid upfront plus tax.
See Offer Details* below.

RECONNECT WITH NISSAN

"Remote Climate Control
Begin the hot summer day with a comfortable cabin temp using Remote Climate Control3 .

Destinations
Find the fastest route to a patio dinner with our destination services.
Monitoring & Alerts
Set your alert notifications when you leave your Nissan with the valet.
ACTIVATE NOW"

I can help. :D
Entire e-mail into one image.

MTPjSsK.png

All of the emails I have received trying to get me to subscribe to the "premium" service have been written to sound ominous, but don't actually say that the premium subscription service is required for the features I have used since 2011. I have no desire for remote door lock/unlock, valet monitoring, etc. so I never even activated the free trial of the premium service when I purchased the 2019 almost 4 years ago.

I just tried climate control remote start and remote stop--they both still work. The only feature I miss is email notification for charging status (which quit working during/after one of Nissan's server updates).

Thanks, knightmb. What I miss is being able to schedule the climate control activation in advance. If I know I'll be leaving for a medical appointment at a certain time, that's helpful. I wonder if 'Climate Control3' allows that, or if they are trying to scam people into paying for the same stripped-down function we all have.

I tried remote climate control timer setting last night and it worked fine to set desired temperature and start time through the iPhone app. I also turned off climate control a few minutes after the timer activated without incident. I do subscribe to SiriusXM music and traffic, but not the premium services for door locking/unlocking, valet monitoring/blocking, etc. I doubt that I will pay for a premium subscription if/when the service through Nissan stops working.

Hills block my cell signal at home, so remote connect is essentially useless. Too bad no third party monitoring for newer Leafs...

fester said:
Hills block my cell signal at home, so remote connect is essentially useless. Too bad no third party monitoring for newer Leafs...
Are you saying you have no cell service at your house? In that case, it doesn't matter what "app" you use.
Where do you live?

South Central Ohio, in a valley. No signal here that usable. By third party, I was referring to say something like OVMS which works for older Leafs, but not a recent year like my 22' SV+. Be nice but that's the way it is. As far as cell signal here, I can get cell over Wify, but the Leaf needs a "real" cell signal to work.

fester said:
South Central Ohio, in a valley. No signal here that usable. By third party, I was referring to say something like OVMS which works for older Leafs, but not a recent year like my 22' SV+. Be nice but that's the way it is. As far as cell signal here, I can get cell over Wify, but the Leaf needs a "real" cell signal to work.

If you have Internet at your home, get a MicroCell that supports 4G and the Leaf should be able to relay off of that.

knightmb said:
fester said:

If you have Internet at your home, get a MicroCell that supports 4G and the Leaf should be able to relay off of that.

Or...get up and go to car :)

MicroCell might be useful, "cell boosters" I tried briefly quite a while ago...would work fine with a 500' tower, otherwise not so much with hills of 500' around here. "Go to car" works fine this year. Last year had two total knee replacements (not both at once, not that big into PAIN :-(.)

Today, while waiting for my housemate and one of our feral cats at the veterinarians' office, I finally contacted the Nissan EV line about not having remote access to my car since June 15. I can live without remote A/C access, but I often need to get heat remotely in Winter. I got a nice, helpful woman who went into my account, did some other research in their system, and then announced to me that I didn't have remote access because Nissan had (paraphrase here) 'Ended it for '21 and up SV and SL Leafs on June 13.' Surprised and indignant, I told her that if that had happened I would have read something about it on this site, because that many Leaf drivers wouldn't have kept silent about losing climate control access completely and permanently. She was insistent, so at that point I ended the call.
Having promised to send me information via email, she apparently sent me a link to a search feature for recall notices.

Ok, drivers of '21. '22 and '23 Leafs, is there any truth to this..?

LeftieBiker said:
Today, while waiting for my housemate and one of our feral cats at the veterinarians' office, I finally contacted the Nissan EV line about not having remote access to my car since June 15. I can live without remote A/C access, but I often need to get heat remotely in Winter. I got a nice, helpful woman who went into my account, did some other research in their system, and then announced to me that I didn't have remote access because Nissan had (paraphrase here) 'Ended it for '21 and up SV and SL Leafs on June 13.' Surprised and indignant, I told her that if that had happened I would have read something about it on this site, because that many Leaf drivers wouldn't have kept silent about losing climate control access completely and permanently. She was insistent, so at that point I ended the call.
Having promised to send me information via email, she apparently sent me a link to a search feature for recall notices.

Ok, drivers of '21. '22 and '23 Leafs, is there any truth to this..?

Sounds like the agent got her facts mixed up as I'm sure the radios going dark for 3G is what killed all the remote access for any Leaf without the 4G radio set. Here are screenshots today from both our 2018 and 2020 just a few minutes ago, everything seems to work fine. Why would they kill that for the 2021 and later models but leave ours alone? :?

My wife's 2018 Leaf
0hRI6CR.png

My 2020 Leaf
0mQhjye.png

She did say that our 2020 would be unaffected.

I'm strongly inclinded to believe that this is BS, but why would they have helpline agents reading fake announcements from Nissan...???

LeftieBiker said:
She did say that our 2020 would be unaffected.

I'm strongly inclinded to believe that this is BS, but why would they have helpline agents reading fake announcements from Nissan...???

If it is true, I have been unable to find any announcements from Nissan. No complaints on other areas of the Internet with Leaf drivers asking or complaining about losing access all of a sudden on their brand new Leaf, etc. I'll give Nissan support a call as well to ask and see if I get the same story. Like you said, if access was just dumped all of sudden, we would see complaints all over the web (Reddit, Facebook, here!) :lol:

Back