Buying Nav-Map Updates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

On the right side of my Dashboard screen, I see "Manuals and Guides" which takes me to a screen to select "Nissan LEAF" and "2011". From there, I see a list of many available documents, but at the very bottom there is a link to the "Nissan Navigation Store", where one should be able to order Map updates.

Although the model selection does not include LEAF, the rest of the models have no years populated, so it appears that this "Store" is under construction.

The FAQ page says the updates are once a year, and $149, on CD (do they mean DVD) or HDD (is that our SD card?).

They say that coverage is now (usually) 50-states and Canada. They do not say "full" coverage in the USA, but describe Canada coverage as basically "major cities and interconnecting roads" (not full coverage).

This makes me wonder if all of these maps are both incomplete coverage and old. If so, we might need to ask Nissan for the better (full coverage, up-to date) maps that are available to other vendors.

I have a most adamant call into LEAF customer service about the quality of the GPS maps in the LEAF. For my area of Sacramento, the GPS software is at LEAST 4 years and more like 5 years OUT OF DATE. My new Volt has full details for our neighborhood, but our LEAF has nothing for this whole area which has been road completed for at least 4 years and some parts for closer to 5 years.

The currency of the LEAF GPS software is absolutely inexcusable, as my handheld TomTom bought last year has all these streets complete. I can only wonder what freeway and crucial new street details are MISSING in other parts of the country, given how OUT OF DATE the software is.

Of course we still don't have any "Carwings" updates for charging stations etc. either.

Nobody should have to "buy" an update just to correct something that is out-of-date when the car was shipped to us. Nissan should/MUST provide all of us with actually 2011 current GPS software.

Since this is a new car wouldn't you think it would have the most up to date maps. If not, they you should be able to download the most current for free. If I had a 5 year old Nissan and payed $150 to get new maps and they were as bad as you all are describing, I'd be really ticked off at spending that kind of money for incomplete maps.

palmermd said:
Since this is a new car wouldn't you think it would have the most up to date maps. If not, they you should be able to download the most current for free. If I had a 5 year old Nissan and payed $150 to get new maps and they were as bad as you all are describing, I'd be really ticked off at spending that kind of money for incomplete maps.
Yes - the maps should be current.

BTW, George, is your area visible in Bing ? From reading a recent newsclip I believe Bing uses Navteq as well (which is apparently a subsidiary of Nokia).

Can you check to see if the streets exist in Google Maps? Note that there have been similar complaints about the maps included in the Volt. See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?6465-Navigation-Map-Version

Another reason why I ignore maps in any built-in navigation system, and use my phone instead. It has a live data connection most places that I go.

garygid said:
The FAQ page says the updates are once a year, and $149, on CD (do they mean DVD) or HDD (is that our SD card?).
Nissan uses several Navigation systems. DVD, Hard Disc Drive (HDD), and SD card. The HDD system you asked about does not refer to the LEAF. NAVTEQ is the data provider for Nissan along with many other manufacturer's systems. You should be able to pull up information on the database using the "menu" button > info > Navigation version.

So has anyone figured out the format of the maps that the Leaf uses. Could you pop in Garmin/TomTom/other maps and have something up to date - can the Nav system read standard map files? If so - maybe you can load your Garmin/TomTom maps onto the SD card and load them up.

@EVNOW,

Good call. Nope, our whole area is not coming up on the "Bing maps" either.

However, from all of our driving on the Volt (now 2100 miles and out of town trips to SF and Bodega Bay so far), we have found nothing missing on the Volt GPS mapping....and the Volt's traffic update seems to work better than the LEAF, as the Volt comes in with spoken announcements of any impending problems on the road ahead....

GeorgeParrott said:
Good call. Nope, our whole area is not coming up on the "Bing maps" either.
Then, I'd say Navteq doesn't have it.

You can report this to Navteq ... use "Map reporter" link. You have to register (I just did).

http://www.navteq.com/

update : You can navigate on the onscreen map to report missing information.

Back