jason98
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Today I left home with 106 miles in ECO mode.
My commute distance was 16.6 miles one way (all ECO, no highway, max speed 45, avg around 30)
Along the way, the average efficiency reported by the trip computer increased from 4.1 to 4.2.
That basically implies my trip efficiency was probably even higher than 4.2
Now when I finally got to work, the remaining miles shown 73 (in ECO!, 67 in normal)

That is 106-73 = 33 miles reported on 16.6 mile trip in ECO mode with 4.2+ miles/kwh efficiency.
So excuse me, Nissan?! What the hell? :evil:
So, the original 106 miles reported are based on what? Am I supposed to drive 8 miles/kwh to match that?

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14223
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:45 pm

jason98 wrote:Today I left home with 106 miles in ECO mode.
My commute distance was 16.6 miles one way (all ECO, no highway, max speed 45, avg around 30)
Along the way, the average efficiency reported by the trip computer increased from 4.1 to 4.2.
That basically implies my trip efficiency was probably even higher than 4.2
Now when I finally got to work, the remaining miles shown 73 (in ECO!, 67 in normal)

That is 106-73 = 33 miles reported on 16.6 mile trip in ECO mode with 4.2+ miles/kwh efficiency.
So excuse me, Nissan?! What the hell? :evil:
So, the original 106 miles reported are based on what? Am I supposed to drive 8 miles/kwh to match that?

that 106 mile estimate was based on the driving you did the previous day. now, you did not tell us about anything else you did; climate controls, etc.

i also notice a fast drop off the top of the pack. a more realistic measure is assuming 100 miles on a full pack in eco mode and street speeds. doing this, i get 90+ miles regularly.

now, i dont drive that far, but taking the estimate of range left verses the miles i have driven usually adds to something in the 90's and i always get a range estimate of 110 miles + from a full charge.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9644
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Fast drop off at the very top of the pack is attributable to two things:

1) You get no regeneration at all for the first ~1.5 miles.

2) You get some charge bleed between when recharging stops at night and when you use the vehicle the next day. The best way to minimize this is to make sure charging stops as close to the time you're going to set out in the morning as possible. I have also found that charge bleed is eliminated as a side benefit of preconditioning the passenger cabin while still plugged in.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

jason98
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:now, you did not tell us about anything else you did; climate controls, etc.
Sorry, I thought 4.2 m/kwh kind of implies that I have the climate control shut off.
So, no climate control, lights auto (that is shut off), XM radio was ON. What else?

jason98
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 pm

mwalsh wrote:Fast drop off at the very top of the pack is attributable to two things:
It was actually more like a fast drop off towards the end of the trip. Starting miles went without surprises.
mwalsh wrote: 1) You get no regeneration at all for the first ~1.5 miles.
Oh, I was in ECO and I had it a lot.
mwalsh wrote: 2) You get some charge bleed between when recharging stops at night and when you use the vehicle the next day.
Not the case. The car was still charging in the morning.

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9644
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:18 pm

jason98 wrote:Oh, I was in ECO and I had it a lot.

LOL! Except that you didn't for the first ~1.5 miles....because there isn't any.

BTW, I wasn't commenting on your situation explicitly, just responding to Dave's post. I guess I should have quoted him to make that clear.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14223
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:42 pm

jason98 wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:now, you did not tell us about anything else you did; climate controls, etc.
Sorry, I thought 4.2 m/kwh kind of implies that I have the climate control shut off.
So, no climate control, lights auto (that is shut off), XM radio was ON. What else?
which is exactly my point. your drive is something i do regularly and w/o climate controls my car tells me that i am doing more like 4.7-5.1 mpk.

the reading u r looking was reset daily? if so, then u r not driving well. how many stops, lights, etc. do you have? they will really kill your performance especially when u r in the 5 mpk range.

on my drive home from work, i can get up to 5.2-5.4 mpk range if i dont catch any lights. for each stop i will lose .1-.2 mpk on a 10 mile trip.
Last edited by DaveinOlyWA on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14223
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:44 pm

jason98 wrote:
mwalsh wrote: 2) You get some charge bleed between when recharging stops at night and when you use the vehicle the next day.
Not the case. The car was still charging in the morning.
ok, so u did not have a 100% SOC. that explains a lot. at any SOC above around 92% or so, you dont get full regen capacity. my first bar is long gone before i get all the regen circles on the power meter
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9644
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:ok, so u did not have a 100% SOC. that explains a lot. at any SOC above around 92% or so, you dont get full regen capacity. my first bar is long gone before i get all the regen circles on the power meter
Ah, I missed that too. So that would explain regen from the get-go.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

jason98
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: So, owners what range are you getting ?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:23 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote: which is exactly my point. your drive is something i do regularly and w/o climate controls my car tells me that i am doing more like 4.7-5.1 mpk.

the reading u r looking was reset daily?
Nope, never reset it so it shows my life (300+ miles) average pretty much. So 4.2 average is considered low?
DaveinOlyWA wrote: how many stops, lights, etc. do you have? they will really kill your performance especially when u r in the 5 mpk range.
Yes, I had some stops. Maybe 25 or so totally. But wait. Is it supposed to be 100 mile range on urban LA4 cycle? I believe one has even more stops than I had (if adjusted to my distance)

But if I extrapolate my experience to the remaining charge left, I will be only able to drive around 2.5 more trips like that, giving me total of 60 miles. Now supposedly I had 90% of battery charged in the morning. I would only have around 66 miles on a full charge, again this is with no climate control, doing 4.2+ average, effectively making my pack capacity as high as 15.7....
DaveinOlyWA wrote: ok, so u did not have a 100% SOC. that explains a lot
Confused. What does it exactly explains? If I had 90% of capacity then I had plenty of capacity for regen.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”