Another possibly interesting battery technology...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting for sure, but, like so many talked about battery breakthroughs, it probably won't come to anything. Here's hoping though...

If EVs take hold in the marketplace, it will direct a flood of resources into battery development.

I remember during the 70's oil crisis, reading about EVs and the chief impediment being battery technology. The author noted that there had been no significant breakthroughs in batteries for many decades, and so the prospect of viable EVs was dim.

What changed that? The proliferation and market for battery-hungry devices in the form of laptop computers, which spurred development and improvements in NiMH batteries, followed by Lithium chemistries.

With EVs needing orders of magnitude more battery capacity the stakes and potential rewards are huge.

If we do get these super-fast charging batteries the next challenge would be building service stations capable of delivering that much energy in that short a time. Tough one. On the other hand, if there is a breakthrough in range, then the game really changes. If you could charge at home and have a 1000 mile range, how often would you even need a charge on the road?

This is said (usually by me) every time a story about a new "faster charging" battery tech is brought up:

When it comes to electric vehicles, the batteries are not the limiting factor in charge times. They haven't been for a long time and probably never will be.

You could have a battery that can suck up, say, 30kWh in two seconds flat - but since you'll never find a 7500 Amp, 4160 volt outlet to get that 54 Megawatts of power from it's totally meaningless.

Might be great for smaller devices but it's a non-starter for electric vehicles.
=Smidge=

Yep, I think 20 minutes for a full recharge is the practical limit for a reasonable power source.

Smidge204 said:
This is said (usually by me) every time a story about a new "faster charging" battery tech is brought up:

When it comes to electric vehicles, the batteries are not the limiting factor in charge times. They haven't been for a long time and probably never will be.

You could have a battery that can suck up, say, 30kWh in two seconds flat - but since you'll never find a 7500 Amp, 4160 volt outlet to get that 54 Megawatts of power from it's totally meaningless.

Might be great for smaller devices but it's a non-starter for electric vehicles.
=Smidge=

The batteries we have today are very good for BEVs, cost needs to come way down and that is happening.. life needs to go up to 15 years and that is also happening.. fast charge? .. nah, present stuff is good enough for the occasional fast charge. Most everyone will charge at home overnight, 8 hour charge rate is fine.

I think the sweet spot for most men will be a 35kwh pack, we tend to drive more.. about an average 70 miles per day,

Herm said:
I think the sweet spot for most men will be a 35kwh pack, we tend to drive more.. about an average 70 miles per day,

Not in my household. I drive barely 10 miles per day. My wife drives 40+ and tends to run all around the metroplex shopping and doing things.

Still, I agree. The battery systems we have in the Leaf are plenty adequate for most people. If they can produce them at lower cost and make them last 10+ years then I think we have a winner. Having more charging stations available, especially at people's employers and other destinations will make the technology more viable for the average person.

Back