Installing Charger at Condo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoaty

I have one main concern about the Leaf for my use: getting a charger installed in my Condo parking garage. There are only 7 units in the building. All the power stuff is on one wall, my parking space is on the other side with 3 parking spaces in between. Would you expect any problem running wiring along the wall over to where my space is (perhaps 40-50 feet), or does the charging station have to be right at the junction box? I have no clue how all this stuff works.

Thanks for any info.

I don't think running the wires would be a big problem - once you get your condo owners association acceptance ?

I don't think running the wires would be a big problem - once you get your condo owners association acceptance ?
Excellent! I doubt there would be a problem with that part. We already have 2 priuses out of 7 owners, so they may want to get plugin vehicles themselves.

Thanks for the info.

Some re-assigning (or trading) of parking spaces (with EVs nearer the power) would seem to be a reasonable thing to do, or at least consider.
Yes, I am going to check into this also as one of the possibilities. Getting ready to email other unit owners.

Does anyone have info about how big the charger will be physically? Would it be mounted on the wall of the parking garage? Any photos available yet?

Thanks.

Apparently it is a "disc" shape, about 12" to 14" in diameter, around 8" deep (thick), likely to be mounted about 48" above the ground level.

The 8" depth is probably so one can conveniently coil the "e-hose" (cord) around (over) the unit without kinking (and to make it look like you are getting something for your money?).

There are some preliminary pictures and "technical" specs in a pdf at http://www.AVinc.com but they are all subject to change.

I do not know if the Nissan-branded unit is different. Probably, it will not be much different.

The model at AV has several options available, so it is probably more complex (and expensive) than really necessary.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/04/09/nissan-and-aerovironment-show-off-prototype-leaf-home-charger/

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/at_home/#smart_charging_dock

EVSEResidential.jpg

Nissan_AeroVironment_Home_Charger_AV0110-web.jpg

Does there appear to be some provision for a lock?

Also, the e-hose (cord with J1227 connector-plug) apparently has a break-away connection to the base unit.

Now, where might someone go to get a spare e-hose or J1772 connector?

Thanks for pictures. Thinking about it, if there are too many problems I may just go without the 240 volt charger. Since I drive 44 miles roundtrip 4 days a week, the 120 volt might work out OK for me. I could probably charge in 10 hours or so overnight, more on the weekend. Is there any kind of special 120 volt receptacle needed? I thought I saw a reference to something beyond an ordinary receptacle with ground somewhere.

Stoaty said:
Thanks for pictures. Thinking about it, if there are too many problems I may just go without the 240 volt charger. Since I drive 44 miles roundtrip 4 days a week, the 120 volt might work out OK for me. I could probably charge in 10 hours or so overnight, more on the weekend. Is there any kind of special 120 volt receptacle needed? I thought I saw a reference to something beyond an ordinary receptacle with ground somewhere.

Std 110V with ground will work ...

I have a similar problem. I own a rental unit condo that's about 35 mi. away over a mountain pass, so I doubt I could make a round trip in the Leaf on one charge. The Leaf definitely has the better cargo area so that is the car I would want to take. I can't fit our ladder in our sedan, for example. But the carport at the condo unit does not have power at all, I don't think. I'll have to check on that the next time I'm there. I don't go over there very often but when I do, like now when I'm prepping it for renting, it would be handy to be able to at least trickle charge for 3-4 hours. That might make a round trip possible. Of course, if it turns out there is no power to the structure, I'm not about to pay to run power to it from some central complex location even if I could get HOA approval. I might pay to put in a 120V plug if there is power running nearby to a light, for example. The problem would be the metering. The HOA wouldn't approve me running a plug there unless it separately metered, so I'm not charging my car on their dime, and my tenants wouldn't want it on their meter.

garygid said:
Does there appear to be some provision for a lock?

Also, the e-hose (cord with J1227 connector-plug) apparently has a break-away connection to the base unit.

Now, where might someone go to get a spare e-hose or J1772 connector?
I don't think there is a lock because this is for start up's now and they want it to be installed in a private garage.

Well, they indicate that having the EVSE installed outside is Ok, for carports, etc.

So far, it seems that only the 25-foot e-hose is offered in the USA, but a 50-foot cord is offered in Japan. Have we been short-changed?

If the e-hose does disconnect "gracefully" from the EVSE when sufficiently stressed, presumably one could "yank" the cord off the EVSE and take the cord indoors. Of course, one would need to be able to "cram" the e-hose back onto the EVSE, without hurting the break-away connector.

I wonder if the break-away connector is rated for 3653 connect cycles (10 years daily use).

But, while charging at night, or after the charging is finished, the e-hose might still be an easy target, unless "locked".

Rat said:
The problem would be the metering. The HOA wouldn't approve me running a plug there unless it separately metered, so I'm not charging my car on their dime, and my tenants wouldn't want it on their meter.

See if you can get Coulomb or Ecotality to install a charger there.

http://chargepointamerica.com/

garygid said:
Well, they indicate that having the EVSE installed outside is Ok, for carports, etc.

So far, it seems that only the 25-foot e-hose is offered in the USA, but a 50-foot cord is offered in Japan. Have we been short-changed?

If the e-hose does disconnect "gracefully" from the EVSE when sufficiently stressed, presumably one could "yank" the cord off the EVSE and take the cord indoors. Of course, one would need to be able to "cram" the e-hose back onto the EVSE, without hurting the break-away connector.

I wonder if the break-away connector is rated for 3653 connect cycles (10 years daily use).

But, while charging at night, or after the charging is finished, the e-hose might still be an easy target, unless "locked".

Gary,

the Japanese version is a 200V portable EVSE, a short cord to their outlet, a small "box", then the longer cord to the J-1772 connectors. You are comparing apples to oranges...

I suggest trying to source some of those for some US customers who want them... contacting Japanese Nissan dealers would be a way to start that process. This worked for our 2010 Prius, where the "mud flaps" are only offerered in the UK.. a UK dealer offers them on eBay, for $110 shipped.. they are only availble from that source, Toyota for some reason decided to not make them avalable in the US market, but several 2010 Prius owners are driving around with mud flaps :)

I might have a friend with a Japanese connection that could check a dealer there for me.

But, like our dealers here, the Japanese dealers probably do not yet have part numbers and pricing for LEAF replacement parts.

from another thread:

This is from Nissan's Leaf website;

A: The home charging dock will require a 220/240V 40 amp dedicated circuit connected to a breaker. The charging dock will need to be hard-wired directly to the circuit by a certified electrician.

This sounds concerning to me, since in my condo, my circuit breaker box is in my unit. The meters for the individual units are in the parking garage, but I don't see a breaker box there. How can I get a charger installed with a breaker if there aren't any breakers in the garage? Does one have to be installed at additional cost?

I too am looking to have a charger installed at my condo complex. We have a large complex with carport parking as well as individual garages. Luckily I have an individual garage which I know has 120v power to it since it runs the garage door and fluorescent lights. However, I don't know if there is 240v there as well. The box is in the carport in a room around the corner. I am not sure how hard this is going to be to set up. I was looking at the EV solutions webpage and saw this: Home Charging Appliance Level-2 (HCA L-2) This is an interesting option. See it here http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/list

Back