Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sdbonez said:
So I just got off the phone with my electrical contractor who asked whether I'd mind charging my Leaf via Level 1 for awhile...the reason being that my EVSE install (EV Project) is behind schedule and I just got my 7-day delivery email.

Any other EV Project participants get their car before their EVSE? If not, I may be on-track to be the first. Can't decide whether I'll just let it sit at the dealer or whether I'll pick it up early if that happens...

When I spoke to Nissan before, I was told that they wouldn't allow you to even participate in the project if you took delivery of the car before the charger install. Is that not the case? I've been approved for the project and I'm supposed to be getting my Leaf the week of April 1st, but I still haven't had them schedule a charger install. I'm perfectly happy to work off level 1 charging for a few weeks as I rarely drive long distances, but I don't want to screw up my option to participate in the program by taking delivery of my car before they do my charger.

cdaveb said:
sdbonez said:
So I just got off the phone with my electrical contractor who asked whether I'd mind charging my Leaf via Level 1 for awhile...the reason being that my EVSE install (EV Project) is behind schedule and I just got my 7-day delivery email.

Any other EV Project participants get their car before their EVSE? If not, I may be on-track to be the first. Can't decide whether I'll just let it sit at the dealer or whether I'll pick it up early if that happens...

When I spoke to Nissan before, I was told that they wouldn't allow you to even participate in the project if you took delivery of the car before the charger install. Is that not the case? I've been approved for the project and I'm supposed to be getting my Leaf the week of April 1st, but I still haven't had them schedule a charger install. I'm perfectly happy to work off level 1 charging for a few weeks as I rarely drive long distances, but I don't want to screw up my option to participate in the program by taking delivery of my car before they do my charger.
I can't imagine it would, but the folks to talk to are the EVProject people. I found them very responsive. I just went to here http://www.theevproject.com/contact.php and emailed the regional office for my area. I got a call back in a couple hours.

We take delivery of our Leaf, tomorrow (3/30/2011) and our Blink Charger was just installed last week. However, due to issues between SDGE and Ecotality, the installer (SunWest) did not have permission to install the new meter so we are not in the rate study at this point.

The rules for Leaf Participation have been amended quite a bit with no notification to the participants as best I can tell. Here is information that I have verified from SDGE rep and Ecotoality REP.

Originally, Leaf Owners who are part of free charger pilot study were required to get the Ecotality Blink unit installed AND participate in the rate study program. That has changed, such that pilot study participants still get a free charger, but do NOT need to participate in the SDGE rate study program, rather are given the option. (I think because SDGE did not disclose that the users would need a separate meter.)

Brad

Sunwest just completed the install in a little under 3 hours. They did a great job. Now all I need is the inspection and the meter installed. SDG&E informed me that I'll be on the the L (low spread) rate plan. Hopefully I'm still on track to get my car next week.

BTW the installer said they have 160 installs scheduled for April.

Is anyone tracking the current firmware versions that are being downloaded remotely to the Blink chargers?

My Blink was installed last week 3/29. It came with FW version 1.2A, which I immediately noticed that if it looses WiFi connectivity with my router I have to power cycle the unit to get it to scan for networks and reconnect to my router. Seems like there's probably a bug in their wifi device driver, or they are using a really old kernel that has issues with the network management tool. Has anyone been able to determine the version of the Linux kernel in the Blink?

My Blink unit upgraded its firmware to 1.3A yesterday, then 1.4A today. Looks like FW changes are finally being pushed to the units to resolve some issues.

DarkDave said:
Is anyone tracking the current firmware versions that are being downloaded remotely to the Blink chargers?

My Blink was installed last week 3/29. It came with FW version 1.2A, which I immediately noticed that if it looses WiFi connectivity with my router I have to power cycle the unit to get it to scan for networks and reconnect to my router. Seems like there's probably a bug in their wifi device driver, or they are using a really old kernel that has issues with the network management tool. Has anyone been able to determine the version of the Linux kernel in the Blink?

My Blink unit upgraded its firmware to 1.3A yesterday, then 1.4A today. Looks like FW changes are finally being pushed to the units to resolve some issues.
Hey DarkDave,

There are a few threads in the Blink sub-forum regarding the different revisions... Unfortunately the latest firmware doesn't appear to be resolving any wifi issues that were previously reported.

cdaveb said:
sdbonez said:

You might have found this out already but that is definitely not the case. Picked up our Leaf 3/28 and the contract for the EV Project signed soon after. Just had the Blink installed yesterday 4/9. So you should be good to go.

cdaveb said:
sdbonez said:

Ecotality and Nissan were both pointing the fingers at each other - but here's the net. I took delivery of my Leaf on 3/30. TODAY may be the first day I'm able to use the Blink charger. (though after pulling strings, I did get it installed on the same day I took delivery - it just hasn't been operational yet)

derkraut said:
sdbonez said:
jcesare said:
Jut had my 2nd meter installed. Now all I need is a car :cry:

mine happened early this morning as well - FINALLY!!!

Can you post a photo? We would appreciate it. ;)

Here ya' go. Several.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qX0sUGOK_-hlFnAFrKj8xzjTjwBdlSQ69vOBl4z6Zyk?feat=embedwebsite
IMG_6927.JPG

derkraut said:
Here's mine
https://picasaweb.google.com/105544249757458392313/Apr192011?authkey=Gv1sRgCI6Zh8qH9J7zYQ#
All the wiring went through the garage wall. EVSE is on the other side.
2ndMeter.jpg

jcesare said:
derkraut said:
Here's mine
https://picasaweb.google.com/105544249757458392313/Apr192011?authkey=Gv1sRgCI6Zh8qH9J7zYQ#
All the wiring went through the garage wall. EVSE is on the other side.
2ndMeter.jpg

Jealous - I have a big 6000Watt SMC Inverter on the other side of mine never mind a gas meter close to my panel..so behind the fence is where it went..with lots of conduit.

I just had my assessment this morning. I was happy to learn that they pay for the installation too up to $1200. So, upgrading to the blink
shouldn't cost me anything. It should be a pretty easy install since most of the work is already done thanks to AV.

I was happy to learn that they will put a panel up near the breaker outside for the second meter.

sdbmania said:
I just had my assessment this morning. I was happy to learn that they pay for the installation too up to $1200. So, upgrading to the blink
shouldn't cost me anything. It should be a pretty easy install since most of the work is already done thanks to AV.

I was happy to learn that they will put a panel up near the breaker outside for the second meter.

Charged to 80% super off peak last night. Cost $0.68
My EV mocks Big Oil. :mrgreen:

sdbmania said:
Funny, I hadn't even seriously considered having a second panel installed. Do folks who already have solar and net-metering even consider switching to an EV tariff, in PG&E land anyway? Is there any hope that we might one day see a tariff that is friendly to solar AND overnight EV charging?

I have the old E-7 PG&E TOU rate and last time I looked at it saw no advantage in having a second meter.

First, I have excess money in my account (around $175 to $200) each true-up period and have to give it all back to PG&E each year. If I have a second meter then there would be no way to use this free power.

Second, for E-9 rates there is a daily meter charge each month added to the super off peak rate. When you added that in you need to use a lot of power to see a big saving between my E-7 off peak and E-9 off peak. For example if you drive 800 miles per month at 4 miles per kWh then you use 200kWh. For a 30 day month the meter charage is 30 x $0.21881 = $6.56/month. E-9 Rate A summer is $0.05294/ kWh so 200 kWh cost you $10.59. Add in the meter charge takes it to $17.15 for a real cost of $0.085762/kWh compared to my E-7 $0.09273/kWh. Less than a cent difference per kWh and E-7 lets me charge at off peak starting at 6 PM until noon the next day. (For Winter rates it is even less of a difference. Numbers from 3/1/2011 Rate table.)

When I installed my solar I paid a one time charge for the TOU meter so I have no daily meter charge. E-7 rate closed back in 1/1/2008 so if you don't already have it you can't get it.

So if anyone with E-7 is thinking of getting a second meter for the E-9 rate I would like to know how they get a cost savings.

Turbo3 said:
When I installed my solar I paid a one time charge for the TOU meter so I have no daily meter charge. E-7 rate closed back in 1/1/2008 so if you don't already have it you can't get it.
I now wish I had gone with E7. E6 is much worse than E7, and as you noted, E9 seems to really stink for solar.

I installed a relatively small (south-facing) 2.1KW system as I was just trying to get out of the (six years ago) $.19/KWh and $.23/KWh brackets rather than zero my bill or consumption. I calculated (after watching the meter for several days) that with 2.1KW I couldn't even manage to save enough to pay back the one-time cost of the TOU meter (on E7 even).

The key for TOU, of course, is to never consume power during summer peak, or you automatically lose. You have to not only cover your consumption but ideally push as much back into the grid as possible so you can buy it back later at the cheaper off-peak rates.

With my Leaf coming (hopefully) soon, I'm considering adding another 2.5KW, west facing this time, in conjunction with switching to TOU (E6). But what I'd really like is to see a new tariff aimed at people with solar AND EV. Without that, I'm inclined to stick with E1 for the time being, even if it means I pay a little more to charge my car.

Back