Telematics SIM Card

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

So while I was making/installing the vps auto-disable, I took the opportunity to check out the telematics module since it's behind the glove box as well.

IMG_7244.JPG

I pulled the SIM out and put it in a test phone. Unfortunately it wasn't as cool as I thought it might be. I had all kinds of ideas, but it's a bit more complex than I thought.

So the SIM registered fine.
I knew the system used text messages and data. So I logged onto carwings and requested an update.
A few seconds later the phone gets a text message:
NISSAN_EVIT_TELEMATICS_CENTER

Cool! So I sent another request to start charging. A few seconds later another message comes in, but it says the same thing.

So apparently they are simply using SMS to trigger the system to connect to the telematics server, and all the real 'talking" is done over the data connection.

I tried to make a call with it and surprisingly, it went through. But I didn't answer the call, I was worried it might flag my account, as if I haven't done enough already to do so.

The "phone" number is odd. I was expecting a standard phone number, but it's not as far as I can tell. It came up with a 15 digit number. I tried to send it a text, but my sprint phone said that the number wasn't valid.

So that was about it. I didn't try much else, I just put it back hoping I didn't screw anything up.. So far it seems fine.

turbo2ltr said:
The "phone" number is odd. I was expecting a standard phone number, but it's not as far as I can tell. It came up with a 15 digit number. I tried to send it a text, but my sprint phone said that the number wasn't valid.

Sounds like an International number. I would try dropping the first number in favor of a "+" sign. I bet that would do it!

I was thinking about that, but I know nothing about international calls/calling.

The number is:

8823507000xxxxx

So a little digging and 882-35 is the international network number for Jasper Systems, inc, which happens to partner with AT&T
http://www.jasperwireless.com/

Nice! Way to go turbo2ltr! Now if we can somehow find a way to track our Leaf's Telematics mobile number...

turbo2ltr said:
So apparently they are simply using SMS to trigger the system to connect to the telematics server, and all the real 'talking" is done over the data connection.

That's actually pretty smart. I'll bet they are doing the real communications securely. This means that even if some jerk figures out your car's phone number, the worst he or she can do is make it connect to the telematics server.

turbo2ltr said:
I tried to make a call with it and surprisingly, it went through. But I didn't answer the call, I was worried it might flag my account, as if I haven't done enough already to do so.

you do realize that all activity on the cellular network is recorded as soon as the "send" button it touched?

your provider only gives you billable details, but all calls are recorded. this is how performance metrics are determined. drops, overloads, etc.

Yup, I used to work on Nokia base stations for AT&T. The big difference is if I don't answer, it doesn't show up on the bill!

turbo2ltr said:
Yup, I used to work on Nokia base stations for AT&T. The big difference is if I don't answer, it doesn't show up on the bill!

true and they wont do anything about it anyway. they will just reverify your Sim and the Car SIM and move on

turbo2ltr said:
I was thinking about that, but I know nothing about international calls/calling.

The number is:

8823507000xxxxx

So a little digging and 882-35 is the international network number for Jasper Systems, inc, which happens to partner with AT&T

Is this the same number that shows up on your Carwings info screen?

GroundLoop said:
turbo2ltr said:

The number is:

8823507000xxxxx

You talking about in the car?

turbo2ltr said:
GroundLoop said:
Yes. The one in the Carwings Unit ID "SIM ID".
Mine is 19 digits long. Is the phone number in there somewhere?

I suspect they all say:
"TCU Phone No: ****"
I haven't found it in the diagnostic screens either.

GroundLoop said:
turbo2ltr said:
GroundLoop said:
Yes. The one in the Carwings Unit ID "SIM ID".
Mine is 19 digits long. Is the phone number in there somewhere?

I suspect they all say:
"TCU Phone No: ****"
I haven't found it in the diagnostic screens either.

The SIM ID (or ICCID), which doesn't contain any phone number information, in fact, its not even stored on the SIM. You have to make a network request for this.

Anybody use an AT&T Microcell and successfully determine the Leaf's 10-digit wireless number to program into the Microcell? I've spent hours with AT&T as well as Nissan and no one can come up with that number. Can't communicate with the car at home because of poor wireless coverage unless I can register it's number with my Microcell.

Any help?

You have to take the SIM out and make a test call, but its an "international" number, and I highly doubt the microcell will let you put it in.

amorphous said:
Anybody use an AT&T Microcell and successfully determine the Leaf's 10-digit wireless number to program into the Microcell?
Wow.. that's a really good question. I have no idea.

It's possible that the telematics SIM does not have a standard 10-digit phone number at all, and can't be selectively enabled on your microcell.

amorphous said:
Anybody use an AT&T Microcell and successfully determine the Leaf's 10-digit wireless number to program into the Microcell? I've spent hours with AT&T as well as Nissan and no one can come up with that number. Can't communicate with the car at home because of poor wireless coverage unless I can register it's number with my Microcell.

I have a Microcell and would like to assign a number for the LEAF too. I'm parking and charging outside since my stucco is an effective faraday cage and the telematics already has a low signal outside so going in the garage will snuff out most of the remaining signal. So if anyone figures this out it would be helpful to route the signal through the microcell when the LEAF is inside the garage.

Taking out the SIM card is not really a solution for most of us, and really shouldn't be necessary.

Curiously, when you use either of the functions intended to give you ID information about the Telemetrics system, the SIM number it gives you is one digit shy of a true AT&T SIM number. Those are 20 digits, and the Leaf only yields 19. I wonder if this is intentional or if this is the convention in Japan (19 digits). In all cases, the SIM can be translated into the phone number by personnel with access to the AT&T database, but without the entire SIM, there is no way to accomplish this. I had an AT&T tech try mine by adding each of 0-9 to the end of the 19-digit SIM number with no luck.

If you use ID Check, the number the unit gives you as the Unit Telephone Number is about 15 (can't remember exactly) digits--more than a US standard 10-digit number, but also more than an international number. Additionally, the first four digits are 8823, which cannot be made into a country code. I believe this number is actually the MSISDN, which I do not think is the same as a phone number, and about which I know much less than about SIM numbers.

It's a puzzler that I wish I could solve.

Back