Adapters for Ingineer's L1 to L2 EVSE - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also: If you think the cords/connections might possibly get wet, or there may be kids around, I'd suggest a few of these to enhance safety (if you decide to disregard my advice not to use them outdoors):

-Phil

Will the moulded 6-20s fit in there? It looks a little tight. If someone were to disregard the suggestions, of course! :lol:

Just ordered two 25' cords ($39 each) from www.StayOnline.com ...
and some boxes ($3 each), and a socket tester ($5) from the www.HarborFreight.com site.

Thanks for the suggestions.

garygid said:
Just ordered two 25' cords ($39 each) from http://www.StayOnline.com ...
and some boxes ($3 each), and a socket tester ($5) from the http://www.HarborFreight.com site.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Gary, where did you get those large yellow plugs with the safety handles that you showed at the meeting? I have not been able to locate them. I will need NEMA 10-30 and NEMA 14-30.

Thanks.

These two Amazon items are the 30-amp (120v, for RV Parks) and 50-amp (240v) Camco plugs that I bought.

Both items display the same picture, showing both the smaller 3-prong (slant-blade) 30-amp (120v) plug and the larger 4-prong 240v plug.

The Neutral pin on the 4-pin plug is very easily removed so that the 240v plug could be used to connect a 240v (L2) EVSE (that does not use the Neutral connection) to a 14-30R, 14-50R, or 14-60R Receptacle.

GeekEV said:
Will the moulded 6-20s fit in there? It looks a little tight. If someone were to disregard the suggestions, of course! :lol:

Yes, they do, but you have to cut away some of the rubber in the seals that go on the end.

It's even possible to drill them so that you can put a padlock on it to keep someone from disconnecting your cords.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Are you going to be offering the Gary to L6-20 Adapter?

Here's the picture of the one we offer:
pic

:D

-Phil
Good one Phil. By the way, thanks so much for the conversion service for my L1 EVSE to 240v. You were lightning fast turning it around the same day you got it. No one could ask for better service. I added the Leviton 6-50p (Home Depot) to one of the pig-tails you sold me (in place of Gary's head) and tested it last night for 5 minutes. Worked fine. I'll give it the 8 hr soak and charge test tomorrow night. Before I added the plug I also bought the Pass & Seymour brand (Lowes) and was happier with the Leviton since it had at least a little finger grip to pull out the plug from the receptacle. Randy did use the P&S on his and it looks just fine as well and I believe his overnight charge test went as expected. I did buy a pair of 7/16" ID, 3/4" OD grommets at Lowes to put on the cord for securing the cable (see photo) in the Leviton plug as, of course, the plug is designed for larger than 12awg cable and the space needs some "filling in" for a real secure fit. A double-back fold of the wire gave it enough volume to easily be secured under the screw terminals on each pin (but of course you are well aware of that as well). Very nice. Still has a bit of an air gap (see photo) due to construction of the plug but that baby is secure. With the metal clasp and the two rubber grommets... it's going nowhere for sure. I believe the P&S does not have the air gap or at least not as large due to different construction. Not a big deal. Just a matter of preference as to which one might choose.... and I'm sure there are other manufacturers out there as well.

Malcolm :geek:

Leviton_6-50p.jpg

Forgive this basic question, but I've been reading this thread and the one that gave rise to it and it's all a bit over my head. Could someone please confirm or correct my understanding:

I can purchase this A14 adapter cord and plug one end into my Leaf trickle charger and the other end into my Nema 14-50 220/40amp outlet (left over from when I had an electric Ford Ranger) and my Leaf trickle charger will then charge my Leaf at Level 2 instead of Level 1? This is being done currently by other folks without damage to the car or the charger? Is that the basic idea? Thanks in advance for clarifying this for me.

Leaftera said:
Forgive this basic question, but I've been reading this thread and the one that gave rise to it and it's all a bit over my head. Could someone please confirm or correct my understanding:

I can purchase this A14 adapter cord and plug one end into my Leaf trickle charger and the other end into my Nema 14-50 220/40amp outlet (left over from when I had an electric Ford Ranger) and my Leaf trickle charger will then charge my Leaf at Level 2 instead of Level 1? This is being done currently by other folks without damage to the car or the charger? Is that the basic idea? Thanks in advance for clarifying this for me.
No. You have to have your Leaf EVSE modified first. Visit http://www.evseupgrade.com for details. THEN buy the adapter and you'll be able to charge your Leaf at 240v 12a using your existing outlet.

If you plug your portable EVSE into 240v without the upgrade, it will be instantly destroyed!

An automotive journalist from a well-known publication recently attempted this, and much to his dismay, ended up with a dead EVSE. After that he found our upgrade service and sent his unit in. We were able to repair the damage and the upgrade it successfully. He told us that he plans to include this experience in his long-term review write-up of the Leaf. I'll be sure to let everyonw know when he publishes.

Note that there will be an additional repair charge if we receive any more blown-up EVSE's! :p

We are also presently evaluating the Volt EVSE for a similar upgrade.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
An automotive journalist from a well-known publication recently attempted this, and much to his dismay, ended up with a dead EVSE.

Oops! :oops:

Ingineer said:
After that he found our upgrade service and sent his unit in. We were able to repair the damage and the upgrade it successfully. He told us that he plans to include this experience in his long-term review write-up of the Leaf. I'll be sure to let everyonw know when he publishes.

YAAY! :mrgreen:

Stanton said:
I'll be all over this once I get my Leaf. Nissan should have made the portable EVSE like this to begin with!
Beat the rush! Order Now! Ingineers are standing by! Order in the next 5 minutes and receive the electric potato peeler at no additional charge.
[Potato peeler is fictional. You will not receive a Potato peeler. We're just trying to get you all excited!]

Seriously, if you're sure you're going to get this, and you're going to order a second EVSE instead of upgrading the one you get with the LEAF, you may want to do it now. As we start getting thousands of LEAFs showing up in port, Ingineer might be getting kind of busy soon.... We hope...

Other LEAFs might even visit your home to get a charge and marvel and your new and improved EVSE!

(I already got mine, though I really didn't expect my LEAF to be delayed into JULY@@!! I already got the Extension Cord Connecting Box and the 25 foot 12 AWG cords with molded L6-20's should be arriving any day now. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3085&start=20 Since I don't have my LEAF yet, I can at least cuddle up at night with the EVSE and cords for my LEAF to come. Yes, I need help. I need my LEAF!!!)

GeekEV said:
A6**: $60, fits NEMA 6-30 & 6-50 (240v - industrial parks, welders, rv parks, hotel A/C units, etc.)

I think you will only find find NEMA TT-30R and NEMA 14-50R at a campground for RV hookups.
(besides the normal 20a outlet at most places)

smkettner said:
I think you will only find find NEMA TT-30R and NEMA 14-50R at a campground for RV hookups.
(besides the normal 20a outlet at most places)
I've updated the original post to remove the RV park reference from the 6-50 adapter since a number of people have indicated that's not common at RV parks. I don't have any first-hand experience with RVing, so I'm only going on what I've been told. Since the people who say that's not an RV plug outweigh those that do, you win. :lol:

Back