AeroVironment™ DUAL-FLEX CORD SET

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Is this what we want - a portable 110/240 J1772 EVSE ?

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/AV_DualFlexCordset_061010.pdf

• 120VAC or 240VAC power source flexibility in one cord set
• Power source auto detect and
• Auto start and restart in event outage or ground fault
• User friendly LED display
• Outdoor rated enclosure and ruggedized design
• Multiple cord length options
• Easily interchangeable cords

The ruggedized and flexible Dual-Flex cord set will accommodate your everyday home charging regimen with the added benefit of supporting you when you’re running low on battery range without a charging station nearby. Built-in intelligence will automatically distinguish the input power to auto-select the proper charging rate between 240VAC and 220VAC – and the featured SAE J1772 connector will allow Dual-Flex to work with any modern EV that conforms to this industry standard. Additionally, our Dual-Flex design comes with multiple cord length options that are easily interchangeable. Dual-Flex can be used while at home, on travel and for EV service businesses, such as dealerships and emergency roadside assistance.

That sure looks like it. Will handle up to 240V @ 30A, so a "standard" dryer outlet... which anyone with an electric dryer has (who you might be visiting), and they are fairly inexpensive as well...

palmermd said:
mitch672 said:
...and they are fairly inexpensive as well...

How do you know this? Link?

30A 240V Dryer outlets are INEXPENSIVE. I just bought a fancy range outlet (L14-50R) which is a 50A 240V version for $8.00 @ Lowes. I didn't say the portable EVSE would be inexpensive... Just if you need to install a standard 30A dryer outlet, it's not going to cost that much.

people are a bit jumpy, no? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

Nope just trying to find out pricing on these things. So far there are no prices on any of this equipment. The only thing I have found is that the J1772 plug is going to be around $900 without the box on the other end of the cord. So all these EVSE "boxes" are likely to be well over $1000. Hopefully the prices have come down now that they are manufacturing them in greater quantities, but until we see some pricing somewhere, its all just guesses.

From the http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/AV_DualFlexCordset_061010.pdf PDF file:
Built-in intelligence will automatically distinguish the input power to auto-select the proper charging rate between 240VAC and 220VAC
Is that a TYPO ? Do they mean "rate between 240VAC and 120VAC" ?

What we don't know is what is on the other end (the one that is not J1772). How will it go into both 120V & 240V - adapters ? Is such a thing even available ... ?

LEAFer said:
From the http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/AV_DualFlexCordset_061010.pdf PDF file:
Built-in intelligence will automatically distinguish the input power to auto-select the proper charging rate between 240VAC and 220VAC
Is that a TYPO ? Do they mean "rate between 240VAC and 120VAC" ?

Yes, type. Auto voltage selection between 120/240VAC.

BTW, "Yazaki" (mfr of J-1772 connectors) is massive... can't even find them on any of their sites..

http://www.yazaki-na.com/about/index.asp?fuseaction=locations&gp=locations

evnow said:
What we don't know is what is on the other end (the one that is not J1772). How will it go into both 120V & 240V - adapters ? Is such a thing even available ... ?
Well, yes, in a meaningless sense. You can always connect a 120v plug to a dryer outlet, but you get 120v when you do, because you are contacting only one of the two 120v legs.

But you are right, they haven't explained what is on the other end. They have definitely not said you can plug it into the wall, only into their EVSE.

"Dual-Flex is being designed to work with your home charging dock (EVSE) and will also be portable for you to carry in your EV’s trunk for emergency charging while you’re on the road."

And:

"Emergency charging using any readily available 120 VAC (Level 1) outlet."

It doesn't say we can connect to 208-240VAC on the road - but it does say we can connect to 208-240VAC at home if we connect to our EVSE.

planet4ever said:
But you are right, they haven't explained what is on the other end. They have definitely not said you can plug it into the wall, only into their EVSE.
If that's the case, I don't see the benefit of the device. You have your EVSE to do L2, so you don't need the DUAL-FLEX. If you're on the road ... and it only works with the AV EVSE ... why use L1 ? Am I missing something ?

Huh? Did I miss something? The only way I can interpret that is that it piggybacks of another EVSE? Maybe if you can get to a Nissan dealer to do some L2 opportunity charging but their L2 EVSE's are all full...then you can attach this somehow and leach power from one already in use?

mwalsh said:
Huh? Did I miss something? The only way I can interpret that is that it piggybacks of another EVSE? Maybe if you can get to a Nissan dealer to do some L2 opportunity charging but their L2 EVSE's are all full...then you can attach this somehow and leach power from one already in use?

That can't be the case - that will increase current draw.

evnow said:
mwalsh said:

That can't be the case - that will increase current draw.

Exactly-

Duh ! ( I think ... ) May be NOW I get it ... sorry for the delayed intelligence. The reason it works with your 240V L2 EVSE at home is so you can still take advantage of the lower EV electric rate, which presumably is only available on the one breaker connected to the second meter. Yes ? Anyone else think this ?
BUT ... why would you want to use THIS device at home at L1, unless you "broke" the L2 EVSE and/or its plug ? And on the road you would use the -- presumably cheaper (free because each LEAF includes one) and lighter 120V emergency cord ...

LEAFer said:
which presumably is only available on the one breaker connected to the second meter. Yes ? Anyone else think this ?...

I'm not going to have a second meter for the Leaf. Think that costs something like $500 from Edison. I'm probably going TOU on the meter we already have. Actually, I guess the one we have will need changing out to the Net Metering type, but I don't think there would be additional cost for that.

Anyhow.....no, I don't think that.

We will have to wait & see. The obvious answer would be you have a special connector at the other end - that can be connected either to a 120V adapter or a 240V adapter. I don't know whether the code would allow for that though.

I think we're missing the point, folks. We want to believe it can be plugged into a 240V outlet, but there's nothing in the datasheet that suggests that. It says it can be plugged into a 120V outlet, and says it can be connected to our EVSE (which is 240V), but it doesn't say it can be plugged into 240V when away from an EVSE.

Back