Leaf Parts for Conversions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDRIVER

Anyone doing an advanced conversion may consider the LEAF traction drive as a possible solution, the retail on the motor is $2700 which is dirt cheap and I'm betting the inverter is not too costly as well, a new charger is $1700, etc. Try getting AC parts like that at Metric Mind, a motor and inverter and charger cost more than an entire LEAF. One could easily make this stuff work if they know what they are doing. It's good to know the parts are low cost.

Where can you find LEAF power train parts for sale? Is Nissan is selling those? Do you mind sharing links? I'm really interested to see the cost and specs.

Regarding the cost, you didn't mention the battery. Do you think one could build a LEAF for less than the MSRP including the battery?

If you got the prices from the auto parts dept at a Nissan dealer then they will be very high.. it may be cheaper to buy a new Leaf and strip it for parts..

dibs on the battery!

I wouldn't be surprised if the motor were that cheap, though it does use PM's so that could increase the cost. However the inverter is likely to be rather expensive, that's usually the expensive part in an AC system. You could do a less expensive pack by using LiFePO4 from CALB or Winston, (TS), though energy density would be lower.

I still want the battery box and the BMS that Nissan is using, that saves a tremendous amount of aggravation. And unlike GM, you dont have to hook up a cooling system to the battery box.

CALB and Winston cells don't need water cooling either, and they probably have greater cycle life than the LEAF cells as LiFePO4 seems to have greater cycle life than LiMn. But yeah a pre built pack would be nice. Frankly with the purchase incentives I'm not sure you could build a better EV at home for less than the LEAF. At least not until LEAF's start showing up in junk yards.

I'm only suggesting the motor, inverter and possibly charger for some, not the pack which would be too expensive and may not even be available directly to consumers for a while. THe parts prices are form the dealer and I doubt the inverter is more than others on the market as all the prices seemed very low as dealer parts and even lower if you buy at a discount. Try to price an 80 kw AC motor and inverter today. It would be dumb to buy a LEAF and use all the parts. If one needs a traction drive it may be worth considering if you can get it to work with a transaxle or use the LEAF drive if affordable.

You sneaky devil!.. are you suggesting using the Nissan FWD setup as the rear setup in an EV?.. independent suspension on all 4 wheels and 4 wheel steering.. state of the art!..

Then you could part out the rest of the Leaf, body panels, glass, Clarion radio ($$$).. you may end up making a profit plus getting all the rebates and credits.

Dibs on the battery, but I will loan you a module for full capacity testing.

Herm said:
You sneaky devil!.. are you suggesting using the Nissan FWD setup as the rear setup in an EV?.. independent suspension on all 4 wheels and 4 wheel steering.. state of the art!..

Then you could part out the rest of the Leaf, body panels, glass, Clarion radio ($$$).. you may end up making a profit plus getting all the rebates and credits.

Dibs on the battery, but I will loan you a module for full capacity testing.

No, you could likely use it for FWD as the half shafts could be modified. As I mentioned, the traction drive system without the battery is affordable even based on dealer list prices, far less then comparable AC conversion parts. There is no point in buying a full LEAF it would be pointless to take apart unless totaled.

What do you mean exactly by a "module for full capacity testing"?

Back