AeroVironment™ DUAL-FLEX CORD SET

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyH said:
I think we're missing the point, folks. We want to believe it can be plugged into a 240V outlet, but there's nothing in the datasheet that suggests that. It says it can be plugged into a 120V outlet, and says it can be connected to our EVSE (which is 240V), but it doesn't say it can be plugged into 240V when away from an EVSE.

But then....why wouldn't we just settle for our EVSE and the 120v cord that comes with the car?

AndyH said:
It says it can be plugged into a 120V outlet, and says it can be connected to our EVSE (which is 240V)...

The question is how ?

May be their 240V end would be something hardwired and installed at home. It connects to the duel-flex using a proprietary connector. They also provide a 120V for the same proprietary connector for on the go ?

Irrespective of whether they allow you to connect directly to NEAM 14, 240V or not - the fact that such a beast will be sold means it would be easier to rig up a connector ...

BTW, here is something interesting ...

Easily interchangeable cords

Right. AV's EVSE has easily replaceable cords - there's a connector for the car on one end and a connector for the EVSE on the other.

I'll bet this device is basically a replacement L1 EVSE that uses the same connector on the 'safety box' that AV uses on its wall-mounted EVSE.

[edit] This is incorrect. The EVSE cords are permanent parts of the EVSE units. The AeroVironment units and units from Clipper Creek and Coulomb do not appear to have removable cords.

Sorry to report bad info. [/edit]

Perhaps this product is designed mainly to allow one to safely connect to certain non-J1772 standard 240v EVSEs (perhaps like a Tesla owners' Clipper Creek model) in which its input voltage to the "Dual-Flex Cord Set" is not present until after a connection is made and removed before the connection is unmade. An owner of an EV with such an EVSE might not want to buy/install yet another EVSE when buying a LEAF. This brings up the balancing issues of how to best handle home charging if you have two (or more!) LEAFs.

evnow said:
Irrespective of whether ...
It's so nice when someone uses this correctly. Most people write "irregardless," which isn't exactly a word, although it is usually included in dictionaries tactfully described as "non-standard."

Rat said:
evnow said:
Irrespective of whether ...
It's so nice when someone uses this correctly. Most people write "irregardless," which isn't exactly a word, although it is usually included in dictionaries tactfully described as "non-standard."

Most definitely. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back