DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
58phil said:
I haven't gotten Leaf yet. Maybe it will come this week. I guess I'm an optimist since I've been saying that for a while.

I do see that many in DFW have gotten theirs. Don't you think it's time we start planning a Leaf gathering for the DFW area. Something centrally located like Abuelo's on I-20 in Arlington could be good, maybe Tuesday May 17 at 7PM.

Any takers?

Really? You pick Abuelo's? How about Half Priced Books? They serve our kind there.

58phil said:
I do see that many in DFW have gotten theirs. Don't you think it's time we start planning a Leaf gathering for the DFW area. Something centrally located like Abuelo's on I-20 in Arlington could be good, maybe Tuesday May 17 at 7PM.

Actually, something similar is being planned. Some of us Tarrant-county folks have decided to break off into our own group since the North Texas Electric Auto Association meets mostly in North Dallas, and caters mostly to do-it-yourself conversions. We want to focus on production vehicles and our own area of town. The meetings are going to be at Don Davis Nissan in Arlington right on I-20. They have a spare showroom there that used to be a Lincoln dealer. I have gotten permission from the manager to use that indoor space as a meeting area for electric car enthusiasts. We can even bring our cars inside and talk about them, etc. It isn't just for Leaf owners, though. Owners of home-built EVs, Chevy Volts or even hybrid vehicles like Prius, Honda CR-Z, etc.. would be welcome, as all of these vehicles are part of a broader solution to our nation's problems.

I guess I'm going to be in charge for the first few months until we have some sort of election. I haven't even come up with a name for our group yet. If anyone wants to chat with me about this and offer ideas, support, etc, send me a private message.

Just for clarification, it is not required that a person be from Tarrant county. I'm sure we'll have visitors from the Southern, central, and western parts of Dallas county also.

Besides enjoying each others company and talking about our cars, we will also have specific goals such as approaching local businesses in our area and encouraging installation of charging stations.

Good news!
Dealer emailed me today and says my Leaf is finally at the DFW railhead waiting for transport to the dealership. It should be there ready for me before the weekend.

Surely this means there are others arriving in the Dallas area also.

adric22 said:
The meetings are going to be at Don Davis Nissan in Arlington right on I-20. They have a spare showroom there that used to be a Lincoln dealer. I have gotten permission from the manager to use that indoor space as a meeting area for electric car enthusiasts. We can even bring our cars inside and talk about them, etc. It isn't just for Leaf owners, though. Owners of home-built EVs, Chevy Volts or even hybrid vehicles like Prius, Honda CR-Z, etc.. would be welcome, as all of these vehicles are part of a broader solution to our nation's problems.

Hey, this sounds good! Keep me in the loop. When is the first event?

58phil said:
Good news!
Dealer emailed me today and says my Leaf is finally at the DFW railhead waiting for transport to the dealership. It should be there ready for me before the weekend.

Surely this means there are others arriving in the Dallas area also.
Mine is schedule for the week of June 6th.

I just got my AV installed today. If there is anyone in the area, Far North Dallas (Hillcrest & Frankford) / Plano area that wants to test my EVSE, then send me a PM.

I guess I've crossed a threshold. Got my Leaf yesterday, Friday the 13th. It took about 3 hours but no pressure, just necessary paperwork and exploring the car. The dealer seemed to be enjoying this new technology as much as I was.

I really can't say enough good things about James Whitehouse at Don Davis Nissan in Arlington. He has fielded my calls over the last 6 months, talked straight, told me what he knows and didn't pretend to know when he didn't. The final transaction had no surprises.

Looking forward to many years with this new addition to the family.

I did check on window tint at the place that did my VW, it still looks great after 10 years. Energy Control Products (ECP) in Desoto. It was their first Leaf, they were very interested. quoted me 199.00 for their top of the line LLumar film 35% on the front seat windows and 20% behind that. I may check a couple of other places. Any suggestions?

Just a heads up for Texas Nissan customers. I got my numbers today from Richard Curry. In the email, he said nitrogen was recommended by Nissan. I called him to tell him that I did not want it, then he said that the TPMS would be beeping continuously constantly without it. I told him again that I did want nitrogen. He then started again about the beebing. At that point, I told him that if that was the case then it was best that I cancel the car. He then started to chastise me. I told him that that was how it was. I called Nissan, and the rep was surprised. His statement was it was recommended, but it should not required.

Thanks for the heads up. I also dealt with Richard and he seemed to be a pretty straight shooter, disappointing they are trying to push these dealer mark-ups. Let us know if there are any more troubles with the dealership.

shay said:
Just a heads up for Texas Nissan customers. I got my numbers today from Richard Curry.

What dealer? What city? There's no way to figure out without profile info or a sig.
Now that I'm "in the queue", I pay more attention to these Texas posts.

Stanton said:
shay said:
Just a heads up for Texas Nissan customers. I got my numbers today from Richard Curry.

What dealer? What city? There's no way to figure out without profile info or a sig.
Now that I'm "in the queue", I pay more attention to these Texas posts.
Texas Nissan is the dealer which is in Grapevine.

Does anyone know how the license fees break down? I think it includes two years inspection feeds and one year license registration. The DPS site lists $23.75 for the two years safety inspection, and the DOT site lists $58.80 for registration. Is there anything else besides sales tax that I am missing?

shay said:
Does anyone know how the license fees break down? I think it includes two years inspection feeds and one year license registration. The DPS site lists $23.75 for the two years safety inspection, and the DOT site lists $58.80 for registration. Is there anything else besides sales tax that I am missing?

There may be slightly different new car registration fees for different counties in Texas, but here goes: Title Fee--$34.00, License Fee--$64.80, Road and Bridge Fee--$10.00, Deputy Fee--$5.00, and 2-yr State Inspection--$23.75

In addition, there is a documentation fee for processing the transaction, which varies from dealer to dealer. Finally, there is an inventory tax that is typically passed through along with the state sales tax of 6.25%. Inventory tax rates vary between county tax districts.

jwhitehouse said:
shay said:

There may be slightly different new car registration fees for different counties in Texas, but here goes: Title Fee--$34.00, License Fee--$64.80, Road and Bridge Fee--$10.00, Deputy Fee--$5.00, and 2-yr State Inspection--$23.75

In addition, there is a documentation fee for processing the transaction, which varies from dealer to dealer. Finally, there is an inventory tax that is typically passed through along with the state sales tax of 6.25%. Inventory tax rates vary between county tax districts.
Thank you.

shay said:
Just a heads up for Texas Nissan customers. I got my numbers today from Richard Curry. In the email, he said nitrogen was recommended by Nissan. I called him to tell him that I did not want it, then he said that the TPMS would be beeping continuously constantly without it. I told him again that I did want nitrogen. He then started again about the beebing. At that point, I told him that if that was the case then it was best that I cancel the car. He then started to chastise me. I told him that that was how it was. I called Nissan, and the rep was surprised. His statement was it was recommended, but it should not required.
Just to follow this up if anyone is interested. Nissan states that nitrogen is recommended in warm climates, but the owners manual makes no mention of this. Richard has offered to throw the nitrogen in for free which I declined.

shay said:
shay said:
Just to follow this up if anyone is interested. Nissan states that nitrogen is recommended in warm climates, but the owners manual makes no mention of this. Richard has offered to throw the nitrogen in for free which I declined.

Nitrogen machines suck all the air and moisture out of tires and replace with dry, virtually 100%, Nitrogen. That process results in a more consistant tire pressure, which means the tire pressure monitoring systems aren't activated as much due to outside air temperature fluctuations. It's an okay thing to have (and it does help the TPMS work better). I have not heard Nissan requiring Nitrogen for anything except the GTR's.

If the nitrogen for the tires is free, I'm all for it. I wouldn't pay for it, since the benefits are pretty minimal, from what I've read. Also, just because you start with nitrogen in your tires, does not mean you can't refill it with regular air, which is already 78% nitrogen.

DWrath said:
If the nitrogen for the tires is free, I'm all for it. I wouldn't pay for it, since the benefits are pretty minimal, from what I've read. Also, just because you start with nitrogen in your tires, does not mean you can't refill it with regular air, which is already 78% nitrogen.

hahah.. That's the exact same thing I told my dealer. I said "Why would I want to pay for nitrogen when nitrogen makes up 2/3 of our atmosphere already!"

I hear you. There were several things that me so mad about the whole situation. First I can find no mention in the owners manual that even hints about nitrogen inflation for the tires. Second the first mention of the nitrogen was in Richard's email for final numbers. It read "Also Nissan want[sp] nitrogen in all tires, because of the tire monitors in them." and included the price which he said was his cost. There was nothing to imply that this was an option not have good old air. When I called him to tell him that I did not want it, he proceeded to tell me that the TPMS would be beeping constantly. After I told him again that I did not want it, he then said he would have to call Nissan about it. At that point, I called Nissan myself. The Nissan rep's words were recommended not required. None of these makes sense to me. If TPMS alerts were an issue why wouldn't Nissan either / or put it at the factory or mention it in the owners manual. I suggested to the Nissan CSR that I thought RAQ should be drive out cost not a subtotal of the car price. Has anyone that has air in their tires had the TPMS alert in their Leafs?

Hi all. I have a confirmed reservation from Nissan for the second batch/group of orders. I know the size is supposed to be 20K for each of the first two lists. Did anything change in this regard?

I live in the McKinney area, and would love to know if this is or is not the forum for my N.Dallas/Texas geog. area. I will go where I am supposed to.

Last, I haven't read all the 6 pages of posts, but will eventually. Is there anything I should know
before this process starts that is of major significance in this process? I feel pretty up to date but for that 1-2% that I may have missed would sure appreciate knowing.

Last, I just read that 70 electric stations are planned to be rolled out here by eVgo, a privately help entity. Has any of their plans changed?

Thanks a bunch. SeñorD :)

Back