I Beat EPA's 2.9 Miles/KWh : Report Your Monthly Mileage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I was way for a week, my miles driven was low in April.

Code:
Month : April-2011
a. 444 Miles
b. 136 KWh (Wall - Blink)
c. 3.3 Miles/KWh (Wall)
d. 4.2 Miles/KWh (Leaf)
e. 5.4 Miles/KWh (CarWings)
f. $15
g. 3.4 Cents/Mile

When and IF I get my LEAF, I plan to charge it during the day with our PVs. We're on the 'basic' plan, and our second meter runs backwards all day most of the time, except for really cloudy and rainy days (both rare). So for me, I will have a '$0' in the total cost to drive each month and a .0cents/mile. :mrgreen:
Now, when home A/C season starts (sometime later in May), and we use up our 'reserve' (which was over 1Mwh, but our utility only pays .03/Kwh on Apr. 30 for all the reserves and we have to start over May 1), it'll still be 'free' for me since I don't pay the electric. So it will be true zero emissions and truly free fuel (after 4-5 years). :D

April was my first full month of charging and driving.

I drove 808 miles. My TED showed charging consumption at 246.9 kWh, Level 2 Aerovironment EVSE. I also opportunity charged at Level 1 and Level 2 approximately 13.4 kWh.

I have a solar PV system on annual net metering. For April, I generated 814 kWh total and used 739 kWh total including LEAF charging, for a net generation of 75 kWh. For the month, therefore, net cost for fuel was zero. However, my net bill will be more negative than the 75 kWh would indicate, because of the effect of the credit for solar PV generation during Peak hours against usage during Off Peak and Super Off Peak hours. I'll have that bill in about 7 days and will edit this post at that time to demonstrate the effect of TOU billing with net metering and solar PV.

Code:
a. 808 Miles
b. 260.3 KWh (Wall - Blink/Seprate meter/TED etc)
c. 3.10 Miles/KWh (Wall)
d. 3.82 Miles/KWh (Leaf)
e. 4.9 Miles/KWh (CarWings)
f. $0.00
g. 0.0 Cents/Mile
Where,

a = Total Miles (from Leaf odometer)
b = KWh used (from the wall)
c = Miles / KWh (a/b from above)
d = Leaf Miles / KWh (weighted average of what Leaf reports, if you reset the number every day)
e = CarWings Miles / KWh
f = $ spent on Electricity for the car
g = Cents / Mile (f/a from above)

Here's my breakdown since day 1 of ownership (Jan 9th, 2011 to April 22, 2011):

Total mileage: 5639 miles
Total electric used: 1709kWh
Total Electric bill: $211.08

This breaks down into:

avg cost/mile: $.037/mi
avg mi/kW: 3.299 mi/kW
Equals 107mpg at $4.00/gal gas (or 52.77 gallons)

I can start breaking these down by monthly use from here on out. Plus, my TED is now reporting accurately....it matched my last months bill exactly. I will also start tracking the Blink data to see what it says. I will NOT look at CARWINGS since it is so far off.....

So I've wrapped my first month of driving electric! Here are the pertinent stats for April: 860.5 miles, 210.12 kWh of electricity used (blink), 98 miles per charge on average (4.08m/kWh) and only about $27 in added utility costs. Carwings is showing 5.8m/kWh and 147.1 kWh used. I would love to know exactly how they are arriving at their numbers. For now, I'm more concerned with what shows up on the bill! :lol:

ok my figures for April with my "75%" 120 volt charging efficiency.

2697.5 832 565.58
3775.9 1129.01 788.34
1078.4 297.01 222.76
3.63 4.84

so in chart i drove 1078.4 miles in April and from the wall used (tracked by Kill a watt so very accurate and used no other outside charging option) used 297.01 kwh which is 3.63 AMPK. iow, for every kwh from the wall, i went 3.63 miles. this figure is going up with the temperature and we have had less than a weeks worth of spring weather.

now, from the car, (carwings, what is that?) i am averaging 4.84 kwh. now i do most of my driving around town. so that i expect to be high, but once again, if you take that comparison its 75% from the wall.

for all you who are getting similar AMPK and using 240, i would have to assume my highway driving percentage is simply much lower than anyone elses.

Drove 250 miles this weekend and based on my PG&E TOU meter I used 58 KW Hrs total from the wall.
= 4.31 miles/KW :D

This is for about half driving in the hills (1500 to 2000 feet elevations) and half driving on flat highway . Average speed is about 48 mph.

I have owned the car now for close to a week..I ran it fast the first day to see how it would handle on the road and to see the distance I could drive in fast mode,80+ miles per charge.. I have driven in ECO mode the last 5 days and avg out to close to 120-130 per charge ..Today I found where I was avg. 4.9 Miles/KWH with the AC on low..

I dont use a cel phone so I have no idea whats on my car wings..Can I just go to my garage unit (Ecotality) and it will tell me what i have been avg. per day,week, month ?
I find all your statistics very interesting because we all have the same car,it seems that some of us have a heavier foot then others ;)

I would love to take the car on a 150 mile charge drive if the conditions like a lot of green lights, no traffic and a cool evening(70s) could come into play..I worry tho about the 10 miles left on the gauge malfuctioning and Im left walking :(

Oh Oh I met a Greg today at Peoria Nissan ..He said he own this web site ..Kind of funny to run into a total stranger at a parts dept. and then start talking about the Leaf web site :shock:

started yesterday morning with about a 90% charge (9 white bars) drove to work, then afterward did the monthly Tacoma EV Association meeting/dinner. total trip 56 miles. i got home with 31 miles of range left. The weather was very warm (63º in car meant it had to be at least 70!) and i think that contributed greatly to the better range.

i fully expect to see 100 miles on a full charge. now mind you, the 56 miles was only about 28 freeway, but trip up did have a 30 mph 4 mile stretch which i DID NOT mind at all!!

Boomer23 said:
April was my first full month of charging and driving.

I drove 808 miles. My TED showed charging consumption at 246.9 kWh, Level 2 Aerovironment EVSE. I also opportunity charged at Level 1 and Level 2 approximately 13.4 kWh.

I have a solar PV system on annual net metering. For April, I generated 814 kWh total and used 739 kWh total including LEAF charging, for a net generation of 75 kWh. For the month, therefore, net cost for fuel was zero. However, my net bill will be more negative than the 75 kWh would indicate, because of the effect of the credit for solar PV generation during Peak hours against usage during Off Peak and Super Off Peak hours. I'll have that bill in about 7 days and will edit this post at that time to demonstrate the effect of TOU billing with net metering and solar PV.

Code:
a. 808 Miles
b. 260.3 KWh (Wall - Blink/Seprate meter/TED etc)
c. 3.10 Miles/KWh (Wall)
d. 3.82 Miles/KWh (Leaf)
e. 4.9 Miles/KWh (CarWings)
f. $0.00
g. 0.0 Cents/Mile

EDIT; Update

I received my utility bill for this month. Total bill was a credit of $39.36 that will be added to my annual net metering credit total to offset future charging in less sunny months.

(Actually, a slightly different date range, April 6 to May 5.)

Month : May-2011
a. 624 Miles
b. 166 KWh (Wall - Blink)
c. 3.8 Miles/KWh (Wall)
d. 4.6 Miles/KWh (Leaf)
e. 6.0 Miles/KWh (CarWings)
f. $18
g. 2.9 Cents/Mile

Month: May 2011

a. 540 Miles
b. 181.1 kWh (Wall - TED)
c. 2.98 Miles/kWh (Wall)
d. 3.60 Miles/kWh (LEAF)
e. 4.5 Miles/kWh (Carwings) Yeah, right!
f. $0 (Solar PV system, total household usage, including LEAF charging was -243 kWh, will result in a credit for the month)
g. $0/Mile

evnow said:
This kwh should be calculated at the wall - not carwings or what Leaf shows.
Mine is a fairly consistent 2.9 mi/kwh at the wall (with the Blink load). Mostly freeway miles with climate control mostly on, San Diego.

Malcolm :geek:

Month: May 2011 (since 5/16 pick-up)

a. 558 Miles

c. 3.2 Miles/kWh (Wall-for the 218 miles of 100% charges monitored by L1 Kill-a watt)
d. 4.3 Miles/kWh (LEAF)
e. 5.4 Miles/kWh (Carwings-for the 430 miles reported)

g. First 200 miles on the drive home were "free".

Since then, all PG&E E 1 tier 1, about 12 cents per KWH, under 4 cents per mile.

Here's our data for May. Average temps are now into the mid-50s, so mileage is improving a bit:

Code:
Month : May-2011
a. 612 Miles
b. 185 KWh (Wall)
c. 3.3 Miles/KWh (Wall)
d. 4.2 Miles/KWh (Leaf)
e. --- Miles/KWh (CarWings)
f. $21.50 ($0.12/KWh -- PSE + 100% renewables upcharge)
g. 3.5 Cents/Mile
h. 111.5 MPGe (using EPA metric of 33.7 KWh/gallon)

Here is a look at my stats for 3 months.

Full blog post here : http://www.mynissanleaf.com/blog.php?u=235&b=82

LeafEconomyStats.png

carwings on the laptop reports about 33% fewer miles and much higher kWh than the Blink and the Car itself.

Carwings = 195 kWh for May vs. 303 kWh at the Blink.

Is that supposed to be all regeneration? or miscalculation?

Back