We need a portable 240v EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fumer said:
So my plan is to buy a Coulomb or some other competing Level 2 charger, mount it in a wheeled suitcase and make myself a handful of cord-end adaptors.
A wheeled suitcase?? How heavy do you think an EVSE is, anyway? It's not a charger, just a handful of electronic components. You could probably use it as a frisbee!

The charger built into your Leaf handles both Level 1 and Level 2. The EVSE is just a switched safety mechanism for communicating with the Leaf and transmitting power to it.

I assumed what eTec wants my $100 to come give me an estimate to provide was indeed a charger, 240 VAC to whatever DC. If that's not the case then $2,000 + is a lot for a fuse box. I just learned from my Nissan dealer that: "at this time Nissan will not deliver a leaf to anyone that does not have a charger installed by AeroVironment". Hmmmm. I'm a bit disinclined to pay $100 for an estimate when I hanen't even driven the car yet! I have been in touch with someone at Coloumb though I havn't checked on their prices. And again, if it's not a charger but rather some proprietary Nissan communications device, then well, it damn well oughta come with the car, and I'll get my own (DIY) electrician.

fumer said:
I assumed what eTec wants my $100 to come give me an estimate to provide was indeed a charger, 240 VAC to whatever DC. If that's not the case then $2,000 + is a lot for a fuse box. I just learned from my Nissan dealer that: "at this time Nissan will not deliver a leaf to anyone that does not have a charger installed by AeroVironment". Hmmmm. I'm a bit disinclined to pay $100 for an estimate when I hanen't even driven the car yet! I have been in touch with someone at Coloumb though I havn't checked on their prices. And again, if it's not a charger but rather some proprietary Nissan communications device, then well, it damn well oughta come with the car, and I'll get my own (DIY) electrician.

It's not proprietary it is a standard and they will certainly sell you a car without getting one from AV, they are out to make money not lose sales. Nissan is playing politics so they don't step on the partnerships they made. Imagine if there was a competing EVSE company selling then for $700 and you have it installed and permitted, do you really think Nissan is going to tell you it needs to be replaced or that the Leaf can't be charged at any other charging station, etc. This is all very funny and in a while it will all be a non-issue.

fumer said:
I assumed what eTec wants my $100 to come give me an estimate to provide was indeed a charger, 240 VAC to whatever DC.
No, the DC charging port on the Leaf is only intended to be for public "quick charge" stations - 80% charge in under 30 minutes. These have 5-figure prices, and are not expected to be available for use at home. (It looks like one or more companies may challenge Nissan's "intention", but that is another story.)

fumer said:
If that's not the case then $2,000 + is a lot for a fuse box.
$2200 is just Nissan's guess as to the average cost. The quote you get could be be considerably less or considerably more. Most of it is not for the EVSE box. It includes having an electrician install cable from your breaker box to wherever you want to have the EVSE mounted. It might include an upgrade to your breaker box or even to your service from the electric utility. It probably includes three trips to your home by a licensed electrician, and it certainly includes permits from the city, preparing a formal estimate, and paperwork for AeroVironment and Nissan.

fumer said:
I just learned from my Nissan dealer that: "at this time Nissan will not deliver a leaf to anyone that does not have a charger installed by AeroVironment".
Like EVDRIVER, I believe this is just FUD. Personally, I intend to charge my Leaf only from 120v, and Nissan has confirmed several times that this is allowed, though not "recommended".

fumer said:
I'm a bit disinclined to pay $100 for an estimate when I haven't even driven the car yet!
Look at it this way. If you intend to get some electric car any time in the near future, and you want to be able to charge it any faster than, say, about four or five miles of range per hour of charging time, then you are going to want 240v charging. Now that there is a standard, all of the manufacturers are moving to it. The EVSE you get from AeroVironment will work for nearly any electric vehicle you decide to buy, and they are all going to require an EVSE for 240v charging.

I find this whole 'proprietary ~$2,200 installed, must be hardwired' thing ridiculous. Tesla has their 18' Universal Mobil Connector with a standard dryer outlet plug. 6 hours for twice the distance a fully charged Leaf will go. No hard wiring necessary. Their $1500 price is ridiculous though. Several have already shown that the actual cost would be less than half that.

I understand they don't want some yahoo sticking an open dryer receptacle on the side of their house but if it is indoors?? In my estimation, Nissan has already failed with their 'open to the elements' on the nose dual charging ports design. The last thing I want is to leave the flap open in the ice and snow while the car charges. Not that Tesla is any better other than not breaking the air flow over the nose with a hinged flap.
What is wrong with a connection that can close over the plug???

Maybe I am lucky that there won't be any Leaf sales in Vermont for some long time. Perhaps they will develop a 'faster than trickle' charging system that you just plug into a proper outlet like Tesla's but at a reasonable cost. The amount we normally drive in a day wouldn't come close to draining the battery. a few hours at 240V would do fine. Shouldn't cost > $2K for that. I even have an unused 240V circuit in my box - electric water heater replaced with a tank off the oil burning furnace.

A dual-voltage (100v to 250v), portable, plug-in, use-anywhere EVSE that can be set to maximum currents from 12a to 50a, with some plug-in adapters would seem most useful, not very expensive, not REQUIRE any installation, and make maximum use of the ALREADY EXISTING e-fuel distribution infrastructure.

Basically, it seems to me, ideal for EV owners, in spite of other special interests saying it cannot be permitted.

I suggest: Wake up, look at the real facts (worldwide), and demand better than what we are being offered.

OBGYN's that earn over 1/4 million a yr will pay about 1/2 that amount for their malpractice ins. Ya gotta pay a LOT to insure products, too ... then pass it on to the customers.

Given that the built in charger is lethargic (only 3.3kW, not even 6.6kW) and CHAdeMO L3 has not materialized in the USA, would it be possible to make a mid-range external charger that plugs into the L3/DC port?
For instance, it could have a 50AMP NEMA14-50 to plug in at campgrounds and supply 10kW+ charging through the DC port?
Perhaps also a J1772 adapter as there are public Tesla HPCs being converted to J1772 around, and they can offer, 32A, 40A, and higher. The included portable EVSE (even with the 240V mod) can only draw a tiny fraction of that.

If someone built a box with NEMA14-50 and J1772 and could output 10kW+ to the L3 I would certainly buy one.

TEG said:
Given that the built in charger is lethargic (only 3.3kW, not even 6.6kW) and CHAdeMO L3 has not materialized in the USA, would it be possible to make a mid-range external charger that plugs into the L3/DC port?
For instance, it could have a 50AMP NEMA14-50 to plug in at campgrounds and supply 10kW+ charging through the DC port?
Perhaps also a J1772 adapter as there are public Tesla HPCs being converted to J1772 around, and they can offer, 32A, 40A, and higher. The included portable EVSE (even with the 240V mod) can only draw a tiny fraction of that.

If someone built a box with NEMA14-50 and J1772 and could output 10kW+ to the L3 I would certainly buy one.
As soon as the CHAdeMO protocol is available to the public, I know of at least one company that will do their best to manufacture one. I spoke with them a bit a couple months ago and we felt that starting with a 12 kW version would probably be the most popular since it would only require a 50 amp outlet. :D

240v and 50 amps -> something over 2 to 2.5 hour charging.

That is a substantial speed-up over 240v 16 amp 7 to 8 hour
charging, and about 4x better than the Mod-L1 EVSE (240v
and 12 amps, about 10-hour charging).

Note: Some RV Parks only provide 40 amps at their "50-amp" sites.

I just read about the 240v 40-amp circuits behind the 50-amp
14-50 socket ... written by folks that sounded like they
had the experience. Their point was that one could not
absolutely count on getting 50 amps, so it was best to
check things out at the specific RV park in question.

If you have a constant load, NEC only lets you pull 80% the rated ampacity of the circuit - so 40A on a 50A circuit would be appropriate. That's why the L1 EVSE only pulls 12A on a 15A circuit.

Either way - a 9.6 kW charger that plugs into a 50A circuit would no-doubt be popular - especially if it's somewhat portable.

SteveInSeattle said:
Don't forget that they have 240v in Europe (no 120 at all)..so the Nissan/panasonic charger sold with the Leaf there has to be 240.. it exists, why not just make it an option?
You do know about the 240V conversion of the Panasonic EVSE, right? Not Nissan authorized, but still....

I am using the Mod-L1 EVSE (240v 12 amps) and so is my friend,
and we have the 3rd Nissan L1 EVSE unit sent in for the Upgrade now.

See www.evseupgrade.com

Very helpful, using the Mod-L1 on 240v (still 12 amps) cuts
charging time in half, from 20 ours to 10, a SUBSTANTIAL gain.

Various public Tesla HPCs are being converted to J1772.
Like this one in Vacaville labeled for 32A usage:
attachment.php

Having some way for the Leaf to be able to draw at least 32A of 240V would be very useful.
Stuck at < 16A sucks. (Or doesn't suck enough depend on how you look at it.)

Back