Sacramento Area Gathering #3 ????

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeParrott

Fellow Sacramento area Leaf (and Volt) drivers,

There are several rewards for gathering, though I missed assembly #1 in Elk Grove, I did participate in the Roseville, Earth Day meeting, and found that a big payoff in getting a group of EVs and their drivers together is "getting the word out" to the mass of uninformed.

So, how about this for an idea for Gathering #3:

Let's consider an early arrival, even perhaps getting permission for reserved parking spaces, at one of the busy central Sacramento shopping areas. I would propose, just to get the discussion started, COSTCO at the CalExpo site, again on a Saturday sometime in June?

The purpose of such a gathering would be to make the new generation of available EVs, the Leaf and the Volt, more highly visible to the not-yet-enlightened masses, so we would need to be prepared to hang around for 3-4 hours for such a "promotion."

If others are interested, I will talk to the Costco store manager about "reserved parking access." Other similar site options would the the Arden Fair Mall, and ????

The discussion is open:

There's also the Woz Cup International Segway World Championship in Folsom that runs June 17-19. I've been invited to show off my car there, but I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have a bunch of us.

June is pretty open for me. But I have the same question - will there be charging nearby? Now that I have my LEAF, and will be coming from Stockton, I'm guessing I'll need to add some juice.

I am out of town on June 18th but other weekends would be just fine. Looking forward to it.

So far, I have begun a discussion with the Cal Expo Costco, and all I can say so far is that "it might be possible there."

The manager is going to check with "higherups."

But there is NO CHARGER currently on site there, so that could be a problem.

REI is another possibility in that immediate area. I am proposing somewhere that has really high general traffic....

and would give us reserved parking for 4-5 hours....

Others can, if possible, check with any alternatives that might fit the goal of impacting as many newbies as possible...

TIA,
George

There's a Coulomb (1xL1 + 1xL2) at Harv's Carwash downtown (currently in a "Maintenance" state = L2 not working). There's a new Coulomb station (1xL1 + 1xL2) at Courtyard by Marriott on Exposition Blvd near that Costco/REI center. SMUD has one ClipperCreek at 6500 S Street (not too far away). Downtown 10th & I garage should have lots of J1772 by June (legacy Avcon conversions). Elk Grove Nissan (for long drives from South).

I helped to organize the first gathering in Elk Grove, and the main theme of that gathering was to share information among the owners, and (back then) the patient wait-listers, so the gathering at a dealer then moving to a restaurant worked well - people who came from farther away could leave their cars to charge.

The second one, which I missed, unfortunately, was more of a "public education/show" event, and was quite successful, from what I read here. I'm happy to support that type of event, but I would also like to continue the group meetings where we're internally focused, as opposed to spreading the word to the unwashed masses.

Obviously this is just my opinion, and feel free to disagree!

GeorgeParrott said:
But there is NO CHARGER currently on site there, so that could be a problem.

TIA,
George

I don't need a Charge Station. Only need access to 240vac. And let me know what type of plug (I'll convert as needed).

X post below from:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3319&p=90820#p90820

Any info on charge points North of Davis/Sacramento? If not...

I am looking for a contingency charge point along highways 113/99 between Davis and Chico sometime between Friday and Monday. Even a short 120 volt charge might allow me to avoid the "flatbed of shame". Between Biggs and Chico, would be Ideal.

The Woodland J 1772 is still out of commission (and the 120 volt outlet on-site is turned off, also, according to Adam at PG&E!) so, as far as I know, the gap is 90-93 miles.

So if there is anyone, member, lurker, or otherwise, that can make an offer of assistance, by posting here or sending me a private message, I'd appreciate it.

Ed

Come on Sacramento Leaf Drivers...weigh in...

I talked today to one of the Sacramento CARB staff, and she reports that she owns a Leaf (got an orphan from Maita Nissan) and several others on staff there also have the Leaf.

Also another staff is driving one of the Mitsubishi i-MIEV test fleet cars.

We might be able to get some of the CARB staff to join with us for the next "gathering."

I am also going to check with SMUD staff; I have heard that they have EVs as well....

LEAFer said:
There's a new Coulomb station (1xL1 + 1xL2) at Courtyard by Marriott on Exposition Blvd near that Costco/REI center.

Just for the record, I stopped in to try to use this station a week or so ago. It had a couple of orange cones in front of it. I just called them and they say that it is not active yet and probably won't be until sometime next week (Leaf time or regular time?). They have made no decision as to whether to limit its use to guests only or open it to the public.

We are free on 6/18. I saw a fellow Leafer on Hwy 50 & Sunrise. We both exited @ Hazel (last night), I honked & waved! It was a black Leaf from Future Nissan, Roseville.

I'm down for just about anything. I did suggest this: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=90543#p90543

But somebody needs to make a decision! :lol:

We did our last SF Bay Area meeting at a public library--started before the library opened and they actually let me sign out a key the night before. Plenty of parking in the lot, decent meeting room inside. No food permitted so we had a tailgate party in the lot. For a young group like ours, it was good to get a large enough space that we could have a coherent discussion among all attendees.

I am still waiting for response from both/either REI or the Cal Expo Costco....

I also am trying to get SMUD's EV support group on board...

18 June looks best for several of us, but nothing is confirmed yet !

Keep checking....

Anybody know if there is a "Think City" EV anywhere around Sacramento?

George

Fellow Leaf drivers...

HOORAY!!!

We have a go for 18 June at the REI CalExpo store parking lot.

I suggest 10am to 3 pm or as much of that window as you can devote...We can have a "picnic" at the cars, get some social time, and still be available for "outreach education" of the still uninformed.

Ideally we should (try to) arrive by 9:45 am to lock down the primo parking area nearest the door.

How many are in????

Back