National Electric Code Article 625 for EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at first blush that seems to provide a firm answer to one hotly debated topic:
Electric vehicle supply equipment rated at 125 volts, single phase, 15 or 20 amperes or part of a system identified and listed as suitable for the purpose and meeting the requirements of 625.18, 625.19, and 625.29 shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug-connected. All other electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permanently connected and fastened in place.
But that second "or" in the first sentence is bothersome. Subsections 18 and 19 appear to say that only 125v, 15A or 20A can be plug connected, but I didn't see anything about that in subsection 29. Besides, what is the point of identifying those three subsections if they don't enlarge the class of EVSEs allowed to be plug connected?

That's as clear as can be - no portable 240V plugging in. So, the question is, how does Tesla get away with it?

And, can Leaf owners work around this requirement by carrying around some sort of electrical adapter box that's permanently connected to a miniature level 2 charger? People are plugging in their motor homes to 240V outlets at campgrounds all the time. Of course they're not electric vehicles. But, if someone were to plug in their motorhome to a 240V outlet at a campground and the motorhome happened to have an EVSE wired to it, then one could legally charge their Leaf that way. So, maybe there's a way to do this without towing a motorhome behind Leaf :lol: .

I read 625.13, etc., and it appears that neither 625.18 nor 625.19 prohibit 240v plug-in connections.

They say that a 120v system can be made without some of the specified interlocks, but that other systems (like 240v) are required to have the interlocks specified in those sections.

625.29 is for indoor (not outdoor) sites.

If the EVSE is indoors, and the car is outdoors, it is not clear if that is an "indoor" site, but it would appear (to me) that the EVSE is indeed at an indoor site.

AndyH said:
Yeah, we've talked about this before on the forum. That's the 2008 code, so not the latest.
2008 NEC is the latest. The next revision isn't due until next year.

Either way, your local jurisdiction has the final say and will often deviate from the NEC - the NEC is primarily used as a guide and starting point for most regulations.

Also, many states, like CA, are at least several years behind in adopting the NEC, and often make some changes when they do "adopt".

Then, local regulations and "preferences" (and the "interpretations" of individual inspectors) also come into play.

While this is all true - UL certification matters - even though it is a private company. They go by NEC.

Do I need to design and build an indoor-use, plug-in 240v EVSE, with switchable charge rates (up to perhaps 50 amps), and an easy-detach cable as a strain relief, and get it UL "listed" for indoor use only?

And then a set of break-away J1772 fuel-plug cables, 10 to 50 feet long, and have then indoor/outdoor UL listed?

Is the market too small?

Am I the only one thinking that a socket at home, a "covered" socket at work, and another socket at my friends home would give me a LOT of added use from my EV?

So a plug-in EVSE is legal, so long as it's only used indoors? Well in most cases they will be indoors, in people's garages. That would be soooo much simpler not having to go through the hassles and expense of calling an electrician to permanently install the thing.

johnr said:
So a plug-in EVSE is legal, so long as it's only used indoors? Well in most cases they will be indoors, in people's garages. That would be soooo much simpler not having to go through the hassles and expense of calling an electrician to permanently install the thing.

It would even be simpler if you only had to have an electrician install an L14-50R receptacle, connected to a 40A breaker, and then plug in the "charging cord", even that would be less costly than hardwiring, and you could take the adapter cord with you, when travelling, if you needed to.

BTW, this is the exact scenario in the UK and Japan... Of course it's not "good enough" for the US. BS I say.

One probably still needs a permit for installing a 240v socket, the wiring, and the breaker.

ALSO, the San Diego "EVSE Guide" mentions a "fused disconnect" in their parts list, in addition to the 40-amp breaker.

This might be a local San Diego requirement, a SDG&E requirement, or just a safety suggestion. Any knowledge here?

Well, I carefully read sections 18, 19, and I skimmed through 29. It appears to me the purpose of sections 18 and 19 are primarily to make allowances for a plug-in 240V EVSE.

The way I read it, there is no requirement for the EVSE to be hardwired, so long as it is equipped with "an interlock that de-energizes the electric vehicle connector and its cable whenever the electrical connector is uncoupled from the electric vehicle." (625.18) and an "automatic means to de-energize ... upon exposure to strain" (625.19). If the unit is 120V those requirements are expressly withdrawn, and if the unit is indoors then 625.29 details the applicable requirements.

In other words, a 240V EVSE can simply plug in and does not have to be hardwired so long as it's designed to de-energize itself when unplugged from the car or exposed to strain.

Well, if Nissan is trying to tell us that we cannot buy a LEAF without having an AV EVSE installed "by AV", then ...

perhaps we should inform Nissan that we will not buy a LEAF unless it comes with (or can buy) a portable, plug-in, reasonably-priced, 32-amp capable 240v EVSE.

But, we (on this forum) are WAY in the minority and many will buy the LEAF even if they have to have 2 meters installed and have "only one place" to do a 200+ volt charge.

I suppose the UK, EU, and Japan do not have this "problem".

If Nissan can engineer and make (or have made) a $17,000 Level 3 charger for the companies that want to over-charge us for charging, ... they should be able to provide something for us, their real customers.

Back