Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Train said:
I think he's trying to figure out where to install the aftermarket flux capacitor.

Just keep it under 88, Tony. ;)

Too late. On the first day, I had it up to 95. Then drove 99.7 miles total, unsuccessfully trying to get into turtle mode. I got bored driving around the block over and over....

What makes you guys think the sealant is port applied? I highly doubt they are dropping th belly pan of every car at port.

They could save a bit of weight (in cabling and coolant lines) by moving the charger to the "engine" compartment.. is there room?

Thanks for the pictures, very nice!

Are you saying that there is a place to put a spare tire? Is it easily accessible? Or is it under the cover you took off? That would be advantageous to those of us looking for a place to put one.

Electric motors have very high instantaneous torque, you dont want to shear a motor shaft or break a motor mount, so they engineer for it. The battery pack looks huge in the pictures.. how about going back and adding some pointers to the pictures?

TonyWilliams said:
Too late. On the first day, I had it up to 95. Then drove 99.7 miles total, unsuccessfully trying to get into turtle mode. I got bored driving around the block over and over....

How fast were you driving around the block?

Herm said:
TonyWilliams said:

How fast were you driving around the block?

Slow. Didn't want to get too far away. Cycled the heater between max and air conditioning max for maximum energy consumption. Hi beam incandescent headlights on. Stereo on (do they call it that any more ?).

The 95 was reached on a slight downhill. But it wouldn't go faster.

Herm said:
They could save a bit of weight (in cabling and coolant lines) by moving the charger to the "engine" compartment.. is there room?

I don't know how big that charger is, or how much it weighs. Could be a "weight and balance" issue. There's room up front for more stuff, particularly if the 12 volt lead acid battery were replaced with a tiny Lithium Ion battery, or put in the spot that the charger is (trunk).

Herm said:
Electric motors have very high instantaneous torque, you dont want to shear a motor shaft or break a motor mount, so they engineer for it. The battery pack looks huge in the pictures.. how about going back and adding some pointers to the pictures?

Ya, I get the torque thing. There are plenty of gas engines with WAY more torque, and not such massive motor mounts. These things are giant rubber-ish mounts, presumably to isolate some vibration. The rear mount has "tuning" weights on it (I presume that's what those are) for, perhaps, some harmonic frequency that they're trying to numb out.

I could add pointers. Probably not today.

downeykp said:
Are you saying that there is a place to put a spare tire? Is it easily accessible? Or is it under the cover you took off? That would be advantageous to those of us looking for a place to put one.

There is NOT a factory installed place to mount a spare tire. I intend to build one, and if that is successful (by my standard), I may offer it as a manufactured product.

But, primarily, first and foremost, I'm building it for me :twisted:

Great tour, info, and photos! Thanks TonyWilliams!

Haven't heard a factory Leaf horn yet. If it sounds econobox, then I'll want to replace it too. The horn on my Acura TL is great, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable. Maybe I'll swap them! :lol:

OilFreedom said:
Great tour, info, and photos! Thanks TonyWilliams!

Haven't heard a factory Leaf horn yet. If it sounds econobox, then I'll want to replace it too. The horn on my Acura TL is great, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable. Maybe I'll swap them! :lol:

A horn is a horn is a horn.

It's held on with one bolt and one wire for power. Obviously, there's a limit to the current draw on that tiny wire, so you might have to upgrade the wire to match your new horn.

Simple swap, though.

Nice set of pics Tony. Thanks. Imagine how clean all this will still look after 5 yrs sans oil muck like the "old" technology.

I'm interested in the hardware for the spare tire. Please post pics when you get there. Also willing to purchase any such hardware.

TonyWilliams said:
Ya, I get the torque thing. There are plenty of gas engines with WAY more torque, and not such massive motor mounts. These things are giant rubber-ish mounts, presumably to isolate some vibration. The rear mount has "tuning" weights on it (I presume that's what those are) for, perhaps, some harmonic frequency that they're trying to numb out.

Its not really the amount of torque but how fast it comes on, fast enough to shear the shaft in many motors.. usually its ameliorated by the software and hardware, perhaps the mount size is for failsafe reasons, same as the size of the brakes in the Leaf.

Its seems like they do it to isolate motor whining, from what you describe... thats a function of the inverter's AC waveform frequency.. usually you try to design it above the human hearing range, but perhaps other parameters prevent that. The inverter makes the coils in the motor vibrate, making sound.

OilFreedom said:

There is a thread on the forum about a replacement, do a search. A loud horn is an important safety device.. I dont care if it bothers people, I seldom use it.

TonyWilliams said:
OilFreedom said:

The manual mentions the horn being used (chirping) to confirm different actions (related to locking/activating the alarm it seems). I don't have a Leaf myself so I'm wondering about this chirping stuff. Is the (main) horn really used for these confirmation sounds? And if so, is a horn a horn (a horn)? Can "any" horn be used?

From where I'm from the security system always have their own horn doing the chirping.

RuneW said:
TonyWilliams said:
OilFreedom said:

The manual mentions the horn being used (chirping) to confirm different actions (related to locking/activating the alarm it seems). I don't have a Leaf myself so I'm wondering about this chirping stuff. Is the (main) horn really used for these confirmation sounds? And if so, is a horn a horn (a horn)? Can "any" horn be used?

From where I'm from the security system always have their own horn doing the chirping.

Sure, if the horn is connected to the "chirp" circuit, that's what's going to make noise.

A 12 volt horn, within the limits of circuit loading (wire size, fuse size) will work. I'll guess just about any horn you'd want to mount.

Back