Bike Rack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I have been folding down the rear seats and throwing the bike in the back. Kind of a pain.

This is super easy in a Prius. I didn't think a bike would fit in the back of the Leaf at all. Certainly not with the front wheel on? I'd love to see a picture if you've got it. Seriously this cargo aspect was one of my main concerns with the leaf. I carry bikes on the roof, on the back and on a trailer... but want to carry them INSIDE whenever possible for several (obvious) reasons.

Here's with one and two bikes in the Prius - complete 56 cm road bikes with everything attached. Passenger seats are also all the way back on their rails. Oh... to have a full electric Prius!
http://evnut.com/images/prius/puv/prius_bikes01.jpg
http://evnut.com/images/prius/puv/prius_bikes02.jpg

darelldd said:
I didn't think a bike would fit in the back of the Leaf at all. Certainly not with the front wheel on?

A 56cm won't fit (at least not easily) without removing the wheels. But, any halfway decent bike has quick release levers on the wheels so it isn't too bad. I carried my 56 road bike almost every day for 2 months in the back. I folded down the left rear seat, and the fork would sit on the right rear seat (seat back in between fork and cranks). Takes a minute or less, but I'm still glad to finally have the roof rack. The biggest reason for this is that it is inevitable that you will get some bike grease on that white interior sooner or later. I laid out a big blanket every time, but you know how it is when you are in a hurry or you are tired from a hard ride. :?
Now, the big issue is remembering that the bike is on top before I drive in to the garage. :eek: Can't someone invent some system that won't let the garage door open all the way or something when you have a bike on top?
If you really want some pictures of the bike in the back, I can go snap some.

dyhopper said:
Now, the big issue is remembering that the bike is on top before I drive in to the garage. :eek: Can't someone invent some system that won't let the garage door open all the way or something when you have a bike on top?
A low tech solution would be to cover the button you use to open the garage with tape or posit it note when the bike is on the roof. You could even draw a little bicycle picture on it ;)

As far as the bike in the back of the Leaf is concerned my SO has been putting her 51 road bike inside without issue with both back seats folded down and the wheel still on the bike without the bike hitting the front seats but it is a really tight fit. I have not tried with my 58 road bike but i suspect the front wheel will hit the front passenger seat unless I move the front passenger seat forward or remove the front wheel on the bike. I don't think I would attempt to get both bikes back there at the same time without removing the front wheels on both and I think it would still be a tight fit.

Hey folks, I have developed a quick release bike rack hitch for the Leaf (with input and help from a couple of guys here) that I debuted today at the Bay Area Leaf meeting. I'll try and add some pics soon, and will also start a new thread about it. My goal is to make it available to all.

My initial testing has found minimal impact at modest speed. My 30 mile RT commute is about 1/2 freeway where I was driving ~60 and my miles/kWh dropped from my usual 3.8 to ~3.2. I took some detailed notes in some pre-rack tests and I'll compare to after soon.

Bill

Electric4Me said:
Hey folks, I have developed a quick release bike rack hitch for the Leaf (with input and help from a couple of guys here) that I debuted today at the Bay Area Leaf meeting. I'll try and add some pics soon, and will also start a new thread about it. My goal is to make it available to all.

Bill

As one of the observers at its unveiling today I can say that what Bill has built is pretty darn cool.

Well, come on then, where are the bloody pictures! I want to see. Any idea on estimated cost and when they might be available?

I'd really love to get a hitch receiver installed on the Leaf. I have a 2" hitch type bike/ski rack that I use on my SUV and the back of my tent trailer. I'd rather just be able to use that on the Leaf as well, but I don't think my lease would allow me to cut through the rear bumper and weld on a 2" receiver... ;)

Excellent! I was planning on going that route so am really interested in learning and seeing what you've come up with.
Shaun

blorg said:
Well, come on then, where are the bloody pictures! I want to see.)

I've got pictures of the gathering plus a video of Bill demoing his bike hitch on my web site:
http://crimdom.net/photos/2011/bay-leafs-may14/index.html

Sorry I don't have any photos to share, but I recently put my road bicycle (56cm Cannondale R-800) in the back of our LEAF without folding down the seats. All I had to do was remove both wheels (they are quick release) and use an old bedsheet to protect the trunk from grease and scratches. Of course, I had to remove the SL cargo cover. I'd personally only bother with a bike rack if I wanted to carry more than one bicycle or save the trunk for other stuff.

Very cool! Would definitely be interested in learning more..
Looks like the bike carrier itself is a Swagman (?), nearly the same as what we have for the back of our trailer.

Christopher said:
blorg said:
Well, come on then, where are the bloody pictures! I want to see.)

I've got pictures of the gathering plus a video of Bill demoing his bike hitch on my web site:

Thanks for posting those! In this case a video is worth a thousand pictures! :D

As far as violating leases with installing something like this, there are only a couple of holes drilled and the hole in the plastic bottom shield. I highly doubt any lease return would be scrutinized that closely. Worst case a new shield could be installed. Lease returns aren't a new thing...maybe ask around with folks that have turned in leased cars before? Ask some dealers what the process is?

I don't know what price I will offer the hitch at yet. It took me a week after work to make this prototype so I have to talk to some machine shops about building the parts as my garage tools are not a sustainable mfgr process...

Bill

Electric4Me said:

My initial testing has found minimal impact at modest speed. My 30 mile RT commute is about 1/2 freeway where I was driving ~60 and my miles/kWh dropped from my usual 3.8 to ~3.2. I took some detailed notes in some pre-rack tests and I'll compare to after soon.
Christopher said:
I'm way impressed! With the receiver release mechanism under the trunk floor mat this is a very slick, clean mod!

DarkStar said:
I'm way impressed! With the receiver release mechanism under the trunk floor mat this is a very slick, clean mod!

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to make it affordable for others! I'm hoping for <$200. Worst case I could make the drawing available and folks could go into a custom hitch shop to have it built.

Electric4Me said:
Thanks for posting those! In this case a video is worth a thousand pictures! :D

As far as violating leases with installing something like this, there are only a couple of holes drilled and the hole in the plastic bottom shield. I highly doubt any lease return would be scrutinized that closely. Worst case a new shield could be installed. Lease returns aren't a new thing...maybe ask around with folks that have turned in leased cars before? Ask some dealers what the process is?

I don't know what price I will offer the hitch at yet. It took me a week after work to make this prototype so I have to talk to some machine shops about building the parts as my garage tools are not a sustainable mfgr process...

Bill

Wow, that's very cool. Thanks to whoever shot the video.

That's perfect, and it looks like it's a standard receiver size, so I should be able to use my existing rack in there, right? Might need an extender to get it far enough away from the bumper. What is the clearance from the ground to the receiver? My SoftRide doesn't put the bikes up nearly has high as it looks like your rack does, so that might be the next issue for me (bikes hanging to low and hitting the ground on bumps/driveways).

blorg said:
Wow, that's very cool. Thanks to whoever shot the video.

That's perfect, and it looks like it's a standard receiver size, so I should be able to use my existing rack in there, right? Might need an extender to get it far enough away from the bumper. What is the clearance from the ground to the receiver? My SoftRide doesn't put the bikes up nearly has high as it looks like your rack does, so that might be the next issue for me (bikes hanging to low and hitting the ground on bumps/driveways).

Good question. I haven't measured it as it's certainly higher than on my lowered Subaru. ;) I did cut & vertically extend my homemade bike rack a few years ago for that reason. I'll try to measure it tonight. As for receiver size, I made mine in the 2" size, but could make them in 1-1/4" also.

Bill

how much weight will this receiver support? I'd like to use it not only for bikes but also for my cargo rack which is similar to this one...

56Y6_Eutnzt8Z731m-kecwrLSaIM-NubTV2CKKzYotq5CfSwaHu5SNDWPCz1JNq-LIiko26vgjxtwXW-LXSmBivI_nzAFCeGgAJzfm_A_pi2FepPm5GBRPwkEtby23bpIM0MzS-uEU09lNDAR1QakBzCAzw2tQ38JqU

palmermd said:
how much weight will this receiver support? I'd like to use it not only for bikes but also for my cargo rack which is similar to this one...

The design has plenty of load carrying capability. I'll confirm the amount, but 200 lbs at least (including rack). I also performed a bounce test with a cargo platform:
P42089200.jpg

Edit: I modified my rack in the picture above to have metal heat shields so that my ICE cars wouldn't melt my cargo (which they did once). THAT won't be a necessary feature on the Leaf!! :lol:

Edit 2: I also stood on the end of a 4' beam and the rack didn't flex too much.

Electric4Me said:
The design has plenty of load carrying capability. I'll confirm the amount, but 200 lbs at least (including rack). I also performed a bounce test with a cargo platform

Ok, whats the paypal address? haha.

palmermd said:
Electric4Me said:
The design has plenty of load carrying capability. I'll confirm the amount, but 200 lbs at least (including rack). I also performed a bounce test with a cargo platform

Ok, whats the paypal address? haha.

I'm trying to work this out, and decide if I need to outsource the fab for liability reasons... I would love to make copies in my garage to earn some beer money, but wouldn't want to risk the house in the process! One thought I had was to sell partially assembled (tack welded) kits. Folks could weld it themselves or find a shop or buddy to do it... My main goal is to get one to as many people as possible!

Back