San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
If you are going to use this for overnight charging - anyway you can't keep your garage open.

But you could leave the cord under the closed garage door. They don't close down tight, at least mine doesn't - you can still get a finger under there where the weather seal is. And don't ask me how one of our cats died, but we now have a rule about making sure the garage door is clear of cats as it's coming down! Poor "Gray Cat". :(

I am ignoring AV until I get more information ... probably from other's install quotes.

I await a plug-in 240v solution.

I would prefer it to be outdoor-rated, so I can legally plug in like an RV is allowed to do.

LEAFer said:
He could not release details at this time, but told me it will be worth our while to wait until the "Plug-In 2010" conference at the end of July. We will be nicely surprised, because ECOTalilty will have numerous product and strategy announcements, including pricing info at that time.

Nice. Check with Coulomb as well ...

LEAFer said:
EV Project areas served by eTec will use their own meter, not AVs. The eTec meter has the extra smarts built-in to allow it to be used as a "revenue meter" in general, but each Utility must approve that use. SDG&E has petitioned the PUC to do just that, but so far they are the only utility company to do so.

Thanks for sharing that info. Is the eTec "meter" separate from the charging unit that will be mounted inside the garage? I'm trying to understand how SDG&E will be able to read the eTec meter if it is integrated with the charger.

Frank said:
Thanks for sharing that info. Is the eTec "meter" separate from the charging unit that will be mounted inside the garage? I'm trying to understand how SDG&E will be able to read the eTec meter if it is integrated with the charger.

If I have it right, the eTec EVSE units are made by Coloumb - the same folks that make network-enabled smart charge points. Part of the Dept of Energy study data to be collected is the same type of data that would be used to charge an EVer that used a public charge station. These units can track charge time, power used, etc. but they don't use the same type of power meter a power company would install.

The AV units are just an EVSE - no extra smarts, no networking, etc.

Randy said:
I was able to verify that the Ecotality EVSE will have an internal meter, as mentioned above. For San Diego, SDG&E will evidently calibrate the internal meter and use it. Not sure how it interfaces with the main meter. For example, if the EVSE is wired to a breaker in the main panel, then it's usage will ADD to the existing meter, so billing would have to take care of that. Are they planning to tap the incoming feed before the existing meter to feed the EVSE? Not sure...

What I'd still like to find out is whether we'll be allowed to have a 120v outlet from the EVSE circuit installed in the garage. The reason for this is that there are times when I can't get the car in the garage and I want to be able to charge from the driveway or street in front (even at the lower voltage). I would promise not to plug anything else into it(!)

If the EVSE meter is calibrated and read, SDG&E can just subtract that number from the main meter. Bingo, you have main house juice minus EV juice. Bill accordingly.

AndyH said:
If I have it right, the eTec EVSE units are made by Coloumb - the same folks that make network-enabled smart charge points. Part of the Dept of Energy study data to be collected is the same type of data that would be used to charge an EVer that used a public charge station. These units can track charge time, power used, etc. but they don't use the same type of power meter a power company would install.

OK, but how does the Utility get the kWh usage data out of the eTec charger so they know how much to bill you? Does the Utility poll the eTec charger via the Internet?

Frank said:
AndyH said:

OK, but how does the Utility get the kWh usage data out of the eTec charger so they know how much to bill you? Does the Utility poll the eTec charger via the Internet?

The Couloumb units are designed for commercial use. Folks can create an account and plug-in to an available unit. The unit tracks the electricity used, sends it for processing, and the user gets a bill.

The system isn't designed with a big, round meter like we have on our houses - so are likely not going to be able to use one of these EVSE units as our 2nd meter unless Coulomb and the power companies agree to share info.

http://www.coulombtech.com/solutions-municipalities.php
http://www.mychargepoint.net/charge-pass.php

My apologies. In my report on the phone conversation I inadvertently used the word "meter" (probably because that's where my focus was) when I should have said "EVSE". So the first two sentences SHOULD read:
EV Project areas served by eTec will use their own EVSE, not AVs. The eTec EVSE has the extra smarts built-in to allow it to be used as a "revenue meter" in general, but each Utility must approve that use.
I corrected the original post to minimize confusion on others reading thru this thread.

(Other calls have to wait til tomorrow. Had some priorities to attend to here ...)

By way of introduction, we're off the 15 @ via Rancho near North County Fair mall. Selected Mossy Nissan Escondido, BBB gave them an A+. I will change dealerships if they won't agree to MSRP. Ordered a Planet Blue SL. Also, we were approved for the home charging unit and installation as part of the EV Project. Guess that's about it.

indyflick said:
By way of introduction, we're off the 15 @ via Rancho near North County Fair mall. Selected Mossy Nissan Escondido, BBB gave them an A+. I will change dealerships if they won't agree to MSRP. Ordered a Planet Blue SL. Also, we were approved for the home charging unit and installation as part of the EV Project. Guess that's about it.

Welcome indyflick.....have you talked to anyone at Mossy regarding pricing ?

indyflick said:

Hi indyflick,

Did ECOtality contact you? We're off the I-15 corridor as well and have only received an email from then stating that they will be contacting us in the "next few weeks."

Cheers!

Not yet, but it's on my to do list. Have you?

Hi indyflick,

Did ECOtality contact you? We're off the I-15 corridor as well and have only received an email from then stating that they will be contacting us in the "next few weeks."

Cheers!
I've only received the email as well.

indyflick said:
Not yet, but it's on my to do list. Have you?

I did about a month ago. At thet time they told me it was too early to talk pricing. In few days I am going to send them another email. If I don't get a favourable response, I will start talking to Pacific Nissan as they have already stated that they will sell it at MSRP.

I received an e-mail a few hours ago about the Leaf ordering process (the same one that has been mentioned in another recent thread on this forum). The e-mail I received says that I can order in September 2010. I'm just trying to get an idea whether other people in San Diego are also getting the e-mail with the September ordering time period, because someone from another region said that his ordering period would be August 2010.

Frank said:
I received an e-mail a few hours ago about the Leaf ordering process (the same one that has been mentioned in another recent thread on this forum). The e-mail I received says that I can order in September 2010. I'm just trying to get an idea whether other people in San Diego are also getting the e-mail with the September ordering time period, because someone from another region said that his ordering period would be August 2010.

I'm in Oceanside, reserved on the 20th. My email says August.

Hmmm. I also ordered on 4/20 within 30 minutes of receiving the e-mail from Nissan. I also have been approved for the free charger. So I wonder how Nissan divided us up in San Diego between August and September? Maybe randomly?

Frank said:
Hmmm. I also ordered on 4/20 within 30 minutes of receiving the e-mail from Nissan. I also have been approved for the free charger. So I wonder how Nissan divided us up in San Diego between August and September? Maybe randomly?

I'm pretty sure they went by height.

Or weight.

Maybe both.

:lol:

I think San Diego hit the reservation hard and fast. I was done three minutes after receiving the email and was no where near first. I imagine there were dozens just in the first few minutes (2700 in 3 hours=900/hour=15/minute).

Since we only get 100 (speculation) per area per month at first, they can only allow 100 orders in August, then ramp up. That means if you reserved 7 minutes after the email, you went to September.

(none of these are firm numbers, just idle speculation. Obviously, all 2700 were not San Diego in the 1st 3 hours, so the rest is equally vague)

Back