SOC Gauge update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across this news brief on US patent for battery monitoring that may be better suited for portable devices:

"O2Micro® International Limited (NASDAQ:OIIM) was issued 12 claims under United States patent number 7,936,151 for its Battery State Monitoring circuitry; a continuation of the invention issued July 2010 under United States patent number 7,683,577.

This patented circuitry provides a "near-zero" current wake-up circuit for monitoring battery packs, during the stand-by-state. In conventional designs, battery state monitoring circuitry consumes excessive power in the stand-by-state, which adversely affects battery performance."

Definitely in...and I think you're underestimating your market. This could be as big as the EVSE upgrade. A real SOC and auto "OK" have been wanted badly.

It's an add-on display and no it won't void the warranty. The MF law pretty much prevents anything reasonable from doing so.

cdub said:
I'm confused as to what this is? Are you reprogramming the dash? Is it an add on? Will it void the warranty?

If it aborts 100% charging at 90%, will the LEAF still do its "equalization" cycle(s)?

Will the percentage be adjustable, perhaps 60% to 99%?

Will on be able to choose "accept" or "reject" for the treatment of the first screen?

Will SOC be displayed to 1% resolution, or to 0.1%?

So just counting people here that said they were in, the current price is $650 ea to break even. lol.

The unit would plug into the port under the dash. That is the only connection you'd need to make. No wire cutting or splicing.

As mogur said, it would not affect the warranty.

I have cleared the "I agree" using CAN, but it does not "agree". The prompt will come up again if you try to access the carwings area. Basically I can emulate pressing any of the buttons around the nav, which will clear the I Agree screen. I cannot emulate tapping the screen.

I have not got the charge to n% feature working yet so I don't know if it's possible. My car has never done any equalization cycles, so I can't say for sure about that.

Resolution is less than 1% but more that .1%.

turbo2ltr said:
So just counting people here that said they were in, the current price is $650 ea to break even. lol.
That's pretty incredible for a short straw poll like this. You may have a hit on your hands.

turbo2ltr said:
Basically I can emulate pressing any of the buttons around the nav, which will clear the I Agree screen. I cannot emulate tapping the screen.
Ah, so would we be able to choose which button we want automatically pressed on startup? The nag screen doesn't really bother me, but getting rid of it would relieve my co-pilot's stress level.

Ray

I'd buy it just for SOC gauge. I quit looking at estimated range months ago. Don't care about nag screen; sometimes I go to shut down and it's still nagging. Once you know the car, the center screen isn't that useful, other than to see the name of the song that is playing and what temp the climate control is set to. Charging to different levels? I'm pretty happy with 80%. But an accurate SOC? That'd be like having an accurate gas gauge. What a great idea. Too bad Nissan didn't think of it!

-Karl

Yep, SOC alone is worth the price of admission. Accurate to 1 percent and I'm a happy camper!

kolmstead said:
I'd buy it just for SOC gauge. I quit looking at estimated range months ago. Don't care about nag screen; sometimes I go to shut down and it's still nagging. Once you know the car, the center screen isn't that useful, other than to see the name of the song that is playing and what temp the climate control is set to. Charging to different levels? I'm pretty happy with 80%. But an accurate SOC? That'd be like having an accurate gas gauge. What a great idea. Too bad Nissan didn't think of it!

-Karl

KickStarter could be a good way to get this project off the ground by getting solid presales. If there was enough real interest then you can build it, if there isn't then both sides don't take any risk.

QueenBee said:
KickStarter could be a good way to get this project off the ground by getting solid presales. If there was enough real interest then you can build it, if there isn't then both sides don't take any risk.

Funny, I actually applied and they denied me.

Thank you for taking the time to share your idea. Unfortunately, this isn't the right fit for Kickstarter. We receive many project proposals daily and review them all with great care and appreciation. We see a wide variety of inspiring ideas, and while we value each one's uniqueness and creativity, Kickstarter is not the right platform for all of them. We wish you the best of luck as you continue to pursue your endeavor.

There is no downside for them accepting all projects (within reason) so I don't understand their reasoning. This project is very in line with some of the other projects that were accepted..

So now, as a web dev, a kickstarter clone that does not discriminate is on my "future projects" list.. lol

turbo2ltr said:
It will sit in the most forward area of the center console (behind the cup holder)

That is like the digital SOC gauge I have in my old Ford RangerEV.
3475799670_0cd8a033de_b.jpg

(display at the bottom showing SOC, aux bat, pack voltage, current draw, error messages, and battery temps.)
More here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/2659-RangerEV-wireless-diagnostic

Speaking of which, is there an error code stream on the CAN that you could catch and display?
In the RangerEV it would internally log fault codes, and normally the only way to read them is to have a factory diagnostic tool. Are there various temp sensors you could show like motor temp, inverter temp, etc?

(Sorry to add some scope creep!)

Back