Is there a way to send a text if car is NOT plugged in

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaminla

Well, I did it. Forgot to plug in my car after a midnight run for some ice cream. Got back home and didn't connect the charger and this morning got into the car with 39% remaining battery...

I tried to find a way to alert me that the car isn't connected to the charger but don't see anything easy in carwings.

Any advice?

You can set up the car to email you about certain events, and not being plugged in at a charging station
(your house) is one of those events. You need to enable the Carwings menu in the car and choose the delay before the email goes out, and then on the Nissan website, you need to enter in your email address or cell phone text info....It works pretty well....

You also need to save the location of which EVSEs you want to be notified about. It won't just automatically warn you when you're near an EVSE but not plugged in.

The plugin reminder works well. Sends you an notification about 5 min after getting home if you don't plug in. I just wish a notification was sent if the LEAF's charge timer is activated and it's not plugged in. Seems like that would be more important than if I came home in the middle of the day and didn't plug in.

I always get the reminder email -- and it has saved me twice. But I have never gotten a reminder text. I have double checked my info in CARWINGS and it is correct. Any ideas?

j.

jhm614 said:
I always get the reminder email -- and it has saved me twice. But I have never gotten a reminder text. I have double checked my info in CARWINGS and it is correct. Any ideas?

j.

Have you double checked your info in the Nissan Owners Portal, in the Manage Account section?

There is a space for the phone number to get the texts, and which wireless provider you use.

I am on AT&T, and getting the texts is flawless. Whenever I drive home, I get a reminder text in about 5 minutes if not plugged in. If I DO plug in, no text.\

AmarilloLeaf said:
Have you double checked your info in the Nissan Owners Portal, in the Manage Account section?

There is a space for the phone number to get the texts, and which wireless provider you use.
This was my problem the first time I set it up. I put in my phone number correctly, but put in my old provider (T-Mobile) even though I have been with Verizon for over a year. Set it to Verizon and it started working for me.

JasonT said:
AmarilloLeaf said:

This was my problem the first time I set it up. I put in my phone number correctly, but put in my old provider (T-Mobile) even though I have been with Verizon for over a year. Set it to Verizon and it started working for me.

Has anyone gotten a text using T-Mobile as a provider? I have verified that the provider (T-Mobile) and my phone number are both correct. I get the reminder emails but no text...

jhm614 said:
JasonT said:
AmarilloLeaf said:

Has anyone gotten a text using T-Mobile as a provider? I have verified that the provider (T-Mobile) and my phone number are both correct. I get the reminder emails but no text...
T-Mobile blocks short code addresses from sending you SMS messages until you initiate a contact with them. Send a SMS message (anything really) to 79161 and then configure CARWINGS to send you a SMS when charging stops, plug in the car for 10 minutes, then unplug. Hopefully if everything is working properly the message will pop through. I'm using T-Mobile and SMS messages are coming through fine.

DarkStar said:
T-Mobile blocks short code addresses from sending you SMS messages until you initiate a contact with them. Send a SMS message (anything really) to 79161 and then configure CARWINGS to send you a SMS when charging stops, plug in the car for 10 minutes, then unplug. Hopefully if everything is working properly the message will pop through. I'm using T-Mobile and SMS messages are coming through fine.

I finally determined that it was my work phone service plan is blocking the "short code" text messages, they go through fine to my personal phone and my wife's phone.

I get most messages, but not one about forgetting to plug in at home.
Where do I enable that one?
The data for Carwings seems scattered all over the menus, about feeds and favorites and settings and such.. arg.

GroundLoop said:
I get most messages, but not one about forgetting to plug in at home.
Where do I enable that one?
The data for Carwings seems scattered all over the menus, about feeds and favorites and settings and such.. arg.

I think this is where I turned it on:
https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/account

under EDIT/ADD VEHICLE INFORMATION

in the gray highlighted square area for CARWINGS Notifications

in the second row Charge On, you click the Text Message box.

Only slight shortcoming I see in the plug-in reminder text message is that it sends this even if the car is already charged 100%.
Briefly started the fully charged Leaf this morning after unplugging to verify charge, and 5 minutes later I get an unnecessary plug-in reminder text :D :lol: :D
So if you unplug it longer than 5 minutes before you're going to drive away in it, you're going to get an unnecessary plug-in reminder. :roll:

Is there any way for the car to notify me by text or email in the event that it gets unplugged (ie. charging terminated)? This would be such a useful feature, but I can't find it in the carwings menus.

johnr said:
Is there any way for the car to notify me by text or email in the event that it gets unplugged (ie. charging terminated)? This would be such a useful feature, but I can't find it in the carwings menus.
I get "Charging Stopped" messages when you unplug the car. Same message if charging completes on timer with 80%. You need to have set a cell# and provider after logging in to CarWings (https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/account). In the car you have to also set/enable a few items (don't recall off the top -- check your manual).

Back