SOC Gauge update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turbo2ltr said:
QueenBee said:
KickStarter could be a good way to get this project off the ground by getting solid presales. If there was enough real interest then you can build it, if there isn't then both sides don't take any risk.

Funny, I actually applied and they denied me.

Thank you for taking the time to share your idea. Unfortunately, this isn't the right fit for Kickstarter. We receive many project proposals daily and review them all with great care and appreciation. We see a wide variety of inspiring ideas, and while we value each one's uniqueness and creativity, Kickstarter is not the right platform for all of them. We wish you the best of luck as you continue to pursue your endeavor.

There is no downside for them accepting all projects (within reason) so I don't understand their reasoning. This project is very in line with some of the other projects that were accepted..

So now, as a web dev, a kickstarter clone that does not discriminate is on my "future projects" list.. lol
Welcome to the club! They've denied every project I've submitted to them without rhyme or reason (other than the boilerplate). I really wonder what the secret is! :D

Yes, it is just to the right of the hood release. It contains diagnostic and CAN buss connections, and power for the device. It's similar to the OBDII connectors on every ICE car.

cdub said:
I'm still confused how it would all work. (sorry) There's a port under the dash? Is that for diagnostics or something?

I'm in! Certainly worthwhile for the SOC. I drove 91.5 miles yesterday on several trips, and when I got to two bars remaining I spent almost another HOUR trying to get as close to "empty" as I could stand. I eventually pulled into the garage with one bar and 7 miles remaining, although I probably could have gone 10.

Those last two bars (after the firmware update) are absolutely horrible at determining remaining juice. I wouldn't be surprised if they held 25% SOC.

Sooner or later I knew I was going to have to get it, or a subsequent one that would include it, so I just bought the bullet and had it done last week. I figured I might as well get used to the changes now and recalibrate my mental SOC gauge... I then ran it all the way down from 100 percent charge to turtle so I would have a good idea of what to expect in the future. The last two bars DO feel like a 35Kw pack equivalent!

mwalsh said:
z0ner said:
Those last two bars (after the firmware update) are absolutely horrible at determining remaining juice. I wouldn't be surprised if they held 25% SOC.

+1. I won't take the update. I won't! I won't! Make me take it and I'll hold my breath until I turn blue!

I'm interested. When you finally decide on what features you implement, I'll really be interested. However, just an accurate SOC is worth the price of admission.

Interested for both SOC and avoiding "I agree", but need to see photo of a prototype in place to make a definite commitment.. $200 price would be acceptable.

turbo2ltr said:
Some of you have been asking about the SOC gauge.

The plan:
The estimated cost is going to be near the $200 mark. Maybe $175.
It's going to have several more features other than just the SOC gauge. Mostly convenience features. (clear the "I agree", possibly a "charge to n %" feature, etc)
It will sit in the most forward area of the center console (behind the cup holder)

The problem is that there just isn't a market for it to make it profitable. Sure there are some people interested in here, but we are talking about $10k in engineering costs (time and material). I'd have to sell one to 30% of the people on the spreadsheet just to break even. I just don't think there are that many people interested.

So I'm thinking of taking preorders just to see how many people are interested. I wouldn't charge your card until it shipped.

Yes Dave I did bother to read the first posting!! SOC: I take it means State of Charge. I am just a lowly Middle School Science teacher. I do not have all of the Geek speak memorized.
So the mileage gauge blows and this will give us a more accurate guide to how much farther we can go, yes?

downeykp, it will give you the battery level as a percentage. Less processed data, so more accurate, but you'll have to translate that into miles (range) yourself.

downeykp said:
Yes Dave I did bother to read the first posting!! SOC: I take it means State of Charge. I am just a lowly Middle School Science teacher. I do not have all of the Geek speak memorized.
So the mileage gauge blows and this will give us a more accurate guide to how much farther we can go, yes?
Sorry. We get a lot of folks who don't want read what came before, and you gave no indication of what was confusing you. The cars "fuel" gauge and range estimate are so processed that it can be difficult to know how much charge you really have left. A recent firmware upgrade made the fuel gauge even worse by making it non linear. This makes estimating how far you can go an exercise in outguessing the car, sometimes. Nissan should have included a simple percent SOC readout, but didn't. Add in the mentioned convenience features and that's what we're talkin' about.

Back