I Beat EPA's 2.9 Miles/KWh : Report Your Monthly Mileage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont get this:

If i didnt have the Blink, how would I know from the CAR, how many kWh I used.
Also, the Blink is only going to give me at-home charging, which is going to shortly stop being my only power-up place?

Also, can someone explain or point me to a thread about why the carwings monthly total of kWh is so much different than the actual off the Blink?
(see above, about 33% too low with Carwings. By Carwings, I mean the telemetric service on my laptop.)

I dont have a way of measuring at the wall, as I am on TOU metering.

thankyouOB said:
i dont get this:

you dont

Also, the Blink is only going to give me at-home charging, which is going to shortly stop being my only power-up place?

if you are not paying for power outside the home, then should lower your cents per mile, right?

Also, can someone explain or point me to a thread about why the carwings monthly total of kWh is so much different than the actual off the Blink?
(see above, about 33% too low with Carwings. By Carwings, I mean the telemetric service on my laptop.)

Nissan already admitted that carwings had calculation challenges that were being worked on

the drawbacks of 240 volt charging. the advantages of 120 volt charging; you can monitor power from the wall for $20 by getting a "Kill a Watt" but the slower charge rate lowers the overall charging efficiency by around 10%

thanks.

Anyone have an explanation of what the Carwings is telling me?
is it just wrong or is it doing something with regeneration?

And, from the above, the Blink is a really good thing, cause it tells me my usage and, as I have put in my electric rates, it tells me my cost, too.

DaveinOlyWA said:
thankyouOB said:
i dont get this:

the drawbacks of 240 volt charging. the advantages of 120 volt charging; you can monitor power from the wall for $20 by getting a "Kill a Watt" but the slower charge rate lowers the overall charging efficiency by around 10%
Measuring at the wall won't be significantly different from the Blink's numbers. People have been finding that it tracks really well.

davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
thankyouOB said:
i dont get this:

Measuring at the wall won't be significantly different from the Blink's numbers. People have been finding that it tracks really well.

Thanks.
I thought the Blink on the Wall stuff was accurate, and even the $$$, if I put in the right values for kWh.

But the blinknetwork stuff on the web is less useful. lots of esoteric data about day-by-day, but no monthly totals or cost.

thankyouOB said:
Thanks.
I thought the Blink on the Wall stuff was accurate, and even the $$$, if I put in the right values for kWh.

But the blinknetwork stuff on the web is less useful. lots of esoteric data about day-by-day, but no monthly totals or cost.
I quite agree. I'm hoping the "reports" section, if they ever do anything with it, will have that sort of thing. BTW, We should be able to get the away from home charging data from the Blink and ChargePoint websites if and when. Still not great. It would be better if the car tracked it.

For the last 10 days of May (that is when I enabled Carwings), here is what Carwings reports:

Miles: 337.9
kWh (from the wall): 58.8
Efficiency (miles/kWh): 5.7

For May, my solar panels made 455.4kWh.

The Blink data history is erroneous (at least from my charger), with incorrect times and power usage. I was just on the phone with Blink and they have created a bug report with the programmers.

richpickett said:
The Blink data history is erroneous (at least from my charger), with incorrect times and power usage. I was just on the phone with Blink and they have created a bug report with the programmers.
Are you talking about blinknetwork.com ? That is erroneous because the communication from blink to their servers is not possible all the time (and they have designed so badly that they don't keep a few days history in Blink and transmit the numbers when they can).

But if you note the month-to-date kwh used figures after every charge, you have an accurate consumption figure. Or if you only want numbers on a monthly basis, Blink stores that for you.

agree. Blink web-based data is woeful, not providing good tables, and inaccurate.
Blink itself is reliable on data, I find.

Interesting to see that wall-to-wheel efficiency is about 0.8 of that reported by the Leaf. I imagine that's the charging efficiency figure rather than some misreporting on the part of the car.

DeaneG said:
Interesting to see that wall-to-wheel efficiency is about 0.8 of that reported by the Leaf. I imagine that's the charging efficiency figure rather than some misreporting on the part of the car.

The charger isn't perfectly efficient and the batteries aren't either.

Those figures multiply against one another

My data is highly skewed because I got Blnk installed a week or so after I got the car and I also charge the car at work occassionally. So my kWhr usage is probably more complete from CARWINGS. Over time, all my home charging costs will become more accurate since I don't charge off 120V at home any more.

a. Tot miles = 1069
b. kWhr (Blnk) = 104.3
c. Miles/kWhr (Blnk) = 10.2
d. Miles/kWhr (Leaf) = 5.0
e. Miles/kWhr (CW) = 6.4
f. $ spent (Blnk) = $9.08
g. cents/mile = 0.85

wishboneash said:
My data is highly skewed because I got Blnk installed a week or so after I got the car and I also charge the car at work occassionally. So my kWhr usage is probably more complete from CARWINGS. Over time, all my home charging costs will become more accurate since I don't charge off 120V at home any more.

Can you recalculate your mi/kwh from the Blink, correcting by adding the kWh that you used by charging at work? Otherwise, as you say, this data is highly skewed.

I agree that my numbers are skewed and misleading but this is true for anyone getting free charging at work etc. The reality is what I am paying for charging at home. If Carwings could include GPS location info where I charged and I could download that, and it would help me to come up with a more accurate number for kWhrs charged at work and other locations. The true cost of charging and therefore c/mile would be impossible (whether free or not) since I don't know what the company pays for its electric rates. The only accurate number is the kWhrs/mile and hopefully Carwings can fix that soon.

My take; if it ain't coming out of my pocket ...

Me being the data hog that I am might try to track both sets of numbers but would do it only to determine how much more I saved by plugging in at work

Posted this elsewhere, but just saw this thread. After my first full month on TOU service with a separate meter I was finally able to see exact energy usage. We went 1216 miles in 33 days (May 7 to June 9) on 336 kWh of energy (all charging at home w/ the Blink EVSE). That comes out to 3.619 m/kWh drawn from the wall. It cost me $24.06 (100% super off-peak charging at about $.07/kWh), or 1.9786 cents per mile for fuel. Carwings says we are averaging 6.3 m/kWh over 2840 total miles so far, BTW. We drive it almost all the time in Eco mode and charge to 80% to maximize regen. We probably do less than 50% freeway driving, but when on the freeway, drive at 65-70mph. We haven't had to use AC much yet (maybe 20% of the time) or heat at all.

TT

Back