Need yuor help - US's Nissan Leaf doesn't pass certification in Europe!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarsL

Hello There!

I need your help to get my Nissan Leaf S+ 2014 (made in USA) certified.

I was so happy to join Leaf's family by buying used one on auction in USA and bring it to Europe through Ocean.
But while it was on a way to home, the Certification standarts was updated and all parts with DOT markers is not applicable any more.

To register my car and get number plate, I need to re-equip my car with all required parts certified in EU:
1) All windows (1- Head, 4- Side, 1- Rear)
2) Seat belts
3) Rear Fog lamp
4) All light lamps (Head & Rear)
5) To install side repeater signal (it's absent in US's cars)
6) To install adjustment button for

To find appropriate Parts, that certified in EU, I need to know which one is installed on Nissan Leaf made for EU.
Could you please provide me following photos:

1) Markers on Head Window, Side Window and Rear Window (Like this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JWd-bl-dYdu878GF_z_z9uEhz5wnqeBqiQ)
2) Markers on Seat belt's labels. (Like this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hu0MT0FgsrrIIiu5sSOK2Xb2IPuFCkWDRw)

Also, Let me know if all Leafs in EU has Head light adjustment button inside car.

I hope with your help I will be able to get certification of my Leaf and then get number plate...

Thank you very much !
With best regards,
Leonid.

AFAIK, all Euro-spec Leafs with halogen-headlight have the headlamp adjuster button. Those which have LED headlights do not.

Which country are you located in? I know that some European countries are more stricter on US-spec cars than others.

#3 was never included in US-spec or JDM cars. #5 was included in model year 2011/2012 cars which came from Japan, but since it's not required here, it was deleted when US-spec cars were assembled here starting in model year 2013.

And yes, what country are you in? There are many US-spec Leafs registered in Norway, for example. For the UK, only the addition of rear fog lamp, side turn signal repeaters, amber rear turn signals (if not already equipped), and modification of headlights for RHD operation seem to be the only requirements that appear to be mandatory, based on the number of American cars I saw over there.

kaiat said:
AFAIK, all Euro-spec Leafs with halogen-headlight have the headlamp adjuster button. Those which have LED headlights do not.

That is the reverse of the US, at least for model year 2012. My car had the LED headlights and the headlamp adjustment switch.

2011 and 2012 US Leafs had headlight adjustment button, 2013 and later US Leafs do not (regardless of headlight type). As noted in earlier replies, the side marker lights were eliminated for US manufacturing starting in 2013 and the rear fog light was never available here.

Gerry

I'm from Ukraine and I can say that we didn't have so strict requirements before Ukraine has signed "1958 Geneva Agreement" for Vehicle Regulations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Forum_for_Harmonization_of_Vehicle_Regulations,
So, mostly this year Ukraine started to follow appropriate EU standarts (while my car was on a way from US to Odessa port ) and cause issue with car registration (not only my, but already around 1,5 thousands cars of other owners)...
It's not so issue with new standarts, but issue how our goverment bureaucratic guys created own busyness on it getting more than 1k$ for passing certification without replacment parts. We have no other way as to find appropriate parts and replace them.

I supouse the mentioned parts are enough expensive and my goal to find them with low cost.
So, could you please provide me with photos I mentioned early?

Thanks to All for understanding and Help!

Here in Norway we had very strict rules, but there have been changes and they are not so strict anymore. For instance, DOT-marked lamps are ok, they don't have to be E-marked. Rear fog light is not mandatory either. Those side indicators should be mandatory, but I have never seen a 2013+ US-spec Leaf in Norway with them. I think it is possible they are not mandatory if the front indicator is visible from the side or something like that.

The best bet is probably to source the parts from scrapped European cars, at least if you are on a budget. Maybe a whole donor car? There are E-marked third-party lamps available for the rear fog light and side indicators - if it doesn't have to be OEM lamps.

kaiat said:
Here in Norway we had very strict rules, but there have been changes and they are not so strict anymore. For instance, DOT-marked lamps are ok, they don't have to be E-marked. Rear fog light is not mandatory either. Those side indicators should be mandatory, but I have never seen a 2013+ US-spec Leaf in Norway with them. I think it is possible they are not mandatory if the front indicator is visible from the side or something like that.

The best bet is probably to source the parts from scrapped European cars, at least if you are on a budget. Maybe a whole donor car? There are E-marked third-party lamps available for the rear fog light and side indicators - if it doesn't have to be OEM lamps.

Thank you very much, Kaiat!
It's a good idea to change rules to get acceptable DOT standards as well. We will try to organise all people here with the same issue and try to send request to our goverment for changes. Unfortunately, it will take much time, but in any case we should try it.

About scrapped European cars - probably some one here can suggest places/countries were I can take parts for Leaf (better more close to Ukraine like Poland).

Thanks to All for your answers!

Back