Winter Tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabo

Hi,

I have asked the Nissan dealer in Ottawa for two quotes for winter tires with steel rims.
One with and one without sensors.

They ask for 2,225$ (with sensors) resp. 1,442$ (without) for Michelin X-ICE3 with installation - that is too much.
I looked them up at costco.ca - and the Michelin X-ICE3 size 205/55R16 with 16" black steel rims are 888$ with installation.

Where do you guys buy the winter tires and what size?
Is it hard to set/reset the sensors if you don't buy them with tires/wheels?

Thanks

Gabo

I bought Brigstone Blizzacks, but prefer the Michelin's. I bought them through Tire Rack and had them mounted locally, $550 total on the car, no sensors, but now I thought someone said the sensors are on ebay for about $100 for all 4?

Wider than stock winter tires hurts traction in snow, all else being equal. Stay with stock size or go narrower. If the outside diameter changes from stock, that will affect your odometer and speedometer.

I am partial to Nokian Hakka R2's, and I also think the X-Ice's are a good choice.

2 week old Leaf, first post!

Not sure if I should have started a new thread, so I tacked my questions on here, appreciate you comments

Getting ready for my first winter (getting range anxiety after reading winter driving threads)

I commute in lake effect snow (South West Ontario) so snows are needed

Have 2018 SL with 17 alloy rims, will swap out steelies to keep the salt off them

Will have Nissan quote but likely to go after market

I see some tires sites say to go to a 16 inch steel rim, wouldn’t this change speed and distance?

I wasn’t planning on installing TPM but read somewhere that if not present the system won’t let you turn traction control off – can anyone confirm or deny this

I need to rock the car several days in the winter to get unstuck out of snow drifts so I have to be able to turn off the magic

Any thoughts on weight of alloy vs steel and effect on vehicle?

I also see mentions of a pretty severe range reduction with snows – what could be the cause of this (weight, rolling resistance, fake news)?

So far loving it

JoeC, I'm in the same boat, Just got my 2018 LEAF 5 weeks ago and Love it!! Looking for some snow tires to put on it. Tirerack doesn't sell a steel rim/tire combo yet, but I was considering to put on 16" steels rims + snow tires. You can do this without affecting the speedometer as long as you keep the diameter of the wheel the same. The 2018 LEAF S trim has 16" x 6.5" Steel wheels with P205/55R16 , the 17" rims are 17" x 6.5" with P215/50R17

This page explains how to calculate the overall diameter, you want to keep things the same..
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

So the stock 17s on the LEAF comes out to 25.4" diameter (if i calculated it right), so running a 215/55 R16 combo will keep the diameter at 25.3" very close. Don't know the answer about the TPM sensor ...

Same situation. A week old 2018 Leaf SV and I love it but... it came with run flat tires on mags: 215/50R17. Apparently there are no run flat winter tires in this size... The car has no spare tire and comes with summer tires that don't have a winter equivalent... Seems like an "oups" on Nissan's part.

What do you do? Do you buy run flat in other (compatible) size or do you take your chances and rely on road side assistance in case of a flat in winter?

Jan

We have three vehicles so I have always figured I would call some to go get one of the summer tires (in winter) or winter tires (in summer) if we did get a flat since the Leaf is never father than 50 miles from home. If you were venturing further away you could just throw one of the other season tires in the back. Or if you really want someone found a way to mount it under the back and made a thread on it.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=14081
or
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=14737

I actually figured out the tires are not run flat as the sales person at the dealer told me. The lack of spare tire problem is "dealt with" by including a emergency repair kit which is hidden int he trunk. Ha! Who knew?!? :)

I'm actually looking for steel rims.

I have an SV (with 17" alloy rims), but I want use the 16" steel rims (with P205/55R16 tires) for the Winter.

My problem is finding a more economical source for the steel rims.

I've gone to websites from Canadian Tire, Kal Tire, OK Tire, Tire Rack, Frisby Tire and Costco. As soon as I plug in a 2018 Nissan Leaf in the search parameters, I get an error that they cannot build a tire and wheel package.

I then went straight to my local Canadian Tire store, and asked for 16" steel rims. The kid behind the counter puts in the make & model into his terminal as says that I'm SOL. He says they have all kinds of steel rims, but none will "fit" my car.

I call my local Nissan Dealership's parts department. He'll be glad to sell me a set, but for a price that I'm not comfortable with. The Nissan parts guy said he's not aware of anything special with the dimensions of their steel rims and they should be readily available in all stores.

Is anyone aware of proper 16" steel rims dimensions that should be acceptable for the Leaf?

try searching "steel 62607" for the steel wheels. I found them on Amazon and ebay when I was looking, but that changes all the time. I would say you would have better luck finding them in the spring,

CanuckEVDriver said:
I have an SV (with 17" alloy rims), but I want use the 16" steel rims (with P205/55R16 tires) for the Winter.

If i search 2018 Nissan Leaf Steel Wheel, there's a bunch of results , even Walmart from 3rd party.. But not sure what the costs are shipping to Canada.

Are most people are running 205/55/16 when they downsize from 17" -> 16" rims?? The 2018 17" on my SL came with 215/50/17... so using the https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/tire-size-calculator At 65 mph you will be going 63.5 mph with the diameter difference...

But maybe it's not worth it to get 215/55/16 to more match the diameter of the wheel/tire to get a more accurate speed... since it is very close?? I think the 205/55/16 is more common tire and probably cheaper too...

@whowutwutt I purchased these steel wheels from Canadian Tire for my 2013 SV:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/wheels/pdp/steel-rim-wheel-black-0096295p.0098949.html

They will fit your 2018 LEAF

I've been putting off getting snows for my Leaf, so here's a quick question: which Nokian snow tires are reasonably priced and do well in snow, ice, and rain? I have 17" Juke wheels to put them on. I'll likely spring for TPMS sensors as well.

I would go with the R3, a little better rolling resistance and a newer tire, but the R2's are great as well.

If you can use studded I would go with the Nordman's.

If you are looking to setup your own TPMS check out this thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24701

Thanks. I don't plan on studs, but would prefer a softer compound - wear won't be an issue, as I have just over 1k miles on the car, which I leased the end of April, and rarely drive more than 60 miles. So whichever is cheaper (R2 or R3) is what I'll get. I may use the mobile tire service I have been using for tire swaps, as they contract with Tire Warehouse. Do they sell a reasonably priced TPMS that the installer can put on my wheels along with the tires?

No idea on TPMS, you have to call around, but I would call the place that's doing the swap first, even if they are a bit more it might be worth it. The least expensive ones I saw installed were about $160 for all 4, dealer wanted $440...

Until now I just lived with the yellow triangle all winter, but since our Honda Odyssey chimes without TPMS I had to do something so I bought the programer and programmable TPMS sensors listed in the other thread. Between the Van and Leaf it is less expensive than even our local tire place and now I have the programer. If you were closer I would program them for you ;)

I do have the rims here. I just bolt the units into the rims, and then either register them myself with LeafSpy or have the tire place do that? I'll have to get prices, as you suggest. Just lugging wheels back and forth from the basement is really all the work I want.

ahhh, ok, I believe you can reset the TPMS via leaf Spy pro? But I have never done it myself. If you can reset via Leaf Spy then you could get any 315 mhz TPMS and install them yourself.

BrockWI said:
ahhh, ok, I believe you can reset the TPMS via leaf Spy pro? But I have never done it myself. If you can reset via Leaf Spy then you could get any 315 mhz TPMS and install them yourself.

I think that's how it works, but never having done it I'm not 100% sure.

BrockWI said:
I bought Brigstone Blizzacks, but prefer the Michelin's. I bought them through Tire Rack and had them mounted locally, $550 total on the car, no sensors, but now I thought someone said the sensors are on ebay for about $100 for all 4?

I just did some searching on tirerack.com, and can offer this: they have the X-ice tires for about $589 a set (2018 Leaf, 17" wheels) after a $70 gift card rebate. They have 2018 Leaf-specific TPMS units for $29 each (they are 433mhz for the 2018, apparently). They don't carry Nokians. I can get them installed by my local installer for $130 plus tax, with no charge for the TPMS install, so I'll probably drop about $850 <gulp> and go this route. Given how little I now drive, it's a big hit, but I don't want to be stuck at home in bad weather, or stuck using our PIP and burning gas.

Back