Importing used leaf from us to europe

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

besmirmeta

i have some question i want to import used nissan leaf from us to europe:
1)will the onboard charger support 220v 50HZ
2)can the original 120v evse work on 220v outlet with an shuku adapter
3)will the warantly expire if imported in europe or my local nissan will suport warantly
4)what is the discount for exporting cars from us ,what is the shipping cost by sea to europe

besmirmeta said:
3)will the warantly expire if imported in europe or my local nissan will suport warantly
4)what is the discount for exporting cars from us ,what is the shipping cost by sea to europe

I don't understand why you would import a US model to Europe, when they sell models made in Europe. If you get a US model with the NAV system and telematics, it will not work in Europe. You may be able to find repair service, but the warranty most likely will not be honored. You also have to pay shipping and import fees. I don't see that it is worth the hassle to have an orphaned vehicle imported across the ocean.

baustin said:
I don't understand why you would import a US model to Europe, when they sell models made in Europe.

Simple reason: cost. Even with shipping and certifications, it's often cheaper than trying to buy a new (or sometimes even a used) one.

The OP should probably try to go to a Norwegian Leaf forum, since they seem to be the ones importing the most ex-US Leafs.

RonDawg said:
baustin said:
I don't understand why you would import a US model to Europe, when they sell models made in Europe.

Simple reason: cost. Even with shipping and certifications, it's often cheaper than trying to buy a new (or sometimes even a used) one.

The OP should probably try to go to a Norwegian Leaf forum, since they seem to be the ones importing the most ex-US Leafs.

please can you send me a link to that forum

http://www.elbilforum.no is the Norwegian EV forum, there is a subsection for Leaf there. But I can try to answer as well.

besmirmeta said:

1) Yes.

2) I know many get the original EVSE modified by http://evseupgrade.com before the car is shipped, but I am not sure if this is required. Others go for a thirdparty EVSE like ChargeAmps or something.

3) The factory warranty is gone if you export the car to Europe. You will not be able to claim anything from Nissan Europe when it comes to warranty. Your local Nissan-dealer will be able to service and repair your car, but everything is out of your own pocket. Be advised that some parts are US-specific. These are quite pricey if you order them through an European Nissan-dealer.

4) Not much these days it seems, the US Leafs for sale in Norway seem to cost the same as the European ones. Since you retain factory warranty with an European Leaf, there is not much reason to choose a US-version. Also, the European cars have working navigation and Carwings. I believe the shipping cost is ~2000 USD, at least to Norway, but it could be different depending on your location.

thank you very much so the only problem is the original evse.
it is shure that it wont work by ading a shuku adapter

besmirmeta said:

no, It does not make sense to use a 120v evse with a transformer .... Buy a 240v charger from the start. and it will be faster..

powersurge said:
besmirmeta said:

no, It does not make sense to use a 120v evse with a transformer .... Buy a 240v charger from the start. and it will be faster..

The other questions are yours to research because you need to find those things out. US leaf owners do not know international laws...

ISTM Euro LEAFs use the Type 2 Menneke's connector rather than J1772 for L1/L2. I'd think that's going to be the biggest problem, and is where an adapter (or swapping out the receptacles, if that's possible without changing a whole lot else) will be needed.

GRA said:
ISTM Euro LEAFs use the Type 2 Menneke's connector rather than J1772 for L1/L2.
I don't think so. Try running https://www.nissan.de/fahrzeuge/neuwagen/leaf/reichweite-aufladen.html (German page) thru Google Translate and click thru all the connector types near the top. It looks like the German market Leaf (for example) has a J1772 inlet but they also include a J1772 to Mennekes Type 2 cable. From what I understand, at the equivalent of level 2 stations in Europe, you bring your own cable to plug into the station vs. the permanently attached J1772 cables here.

The translation says that the Leaf also comes with a 32 A / 7.4 kW Mode 3 Type 1 / Type 2 charging cable. They refer to Type 1 sockets in the Leaf and e-NV200 and "charging stations with Type 2 sockets (all public charging stations in Europe)".

We have J1772-cars or Type 1 in Europe and Leaf is one of them. As cwerdna says, you simply get a cable with a Type 2 Mennekes in one end for the charging point and J1772 Type 1 in the other end for the car. No problem at all.

kaiat said:
We have J1772-cars or Type 1 in Europe and Leaf is one of them. As cwerdna says, you simply get a cable with a Type 2 Mennekes in one end for the charging point and J1772 Type 1 in the other end for the car. No problem at all.
Good to know, thanks.

I am about to do this (moving to the Netherlands). What modifications are required in terms of lighting, etc.?

My 2c, from many years ago bringing my US Audi to France:
Headlights need to be changed, I had no issue with taillights.
Had to change tires (they required tires capable of 210km/h which the US car did not have).
They wanted the seat belts changed to European standard. Not a huge expense but really unnecessary. After a bit of discussion they waived that one.
There was more (catalytic converter, etc) but none of that applicable to an EV.

jube said:
Had to change tires (they required tires capable of 210km/h which the US car did not have).

That's unusual because 210 km/hr is 131 MPH, and in the US that's an "H" rated tire which is very easy to obtain. During the 8 years I owned an Audi A3, it came with "V" rated (240 km/hr / 140 MPH) tires and so were the two sets of replacements I put on before selling the car.

North American tire rating system here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

jube said:
I shipped a brand new car over. It did not come with the high speed tires.

What Audi model is this? The A3 is the least expensive Audi sold in North America and they all come with at least "H" rated tires, with many coming with "V" spec tires. My eGolf has "H" rated tires (Bridgestone Ecopia) from the factory and that car has a top speed of less than 100 MPH/160 km/hr.

Does anyone have any info about this topic on 2019 Leaf? I'm thinking of moving it it from US to EU and the first quote I got for all the work was 12k EUR :/

Which country are you importing the car to? It can differ a little from country to country what needs to be done. Here in Norway it is no problem at all as US-spec cars are accepted as is. Other countries could be a little more troublesome, but it varies a bit.

12k EUR sounds a bit steep. What is included in that quote? You might be better off finding an European car instead.

Back