Auto Power off?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

be236

There's been a few times when I got out of the car and manually locked the doors and left the power on all day and come back to see the power has been on all this time... Since the car is almost silent when it's powered on, it's easy to leave the car with the power still on... (hopefully that doesnt hurt the battery...)

But my issue is.. I wish there was an auto-power off feature, such that if you leave the car (eg the key goes with you), that LEAF could turn itself off after say 5, 10 , 50 minutes.. etc?

That would be a cool feature.

Also, does it auto-lock all doors when I leave? I usually have to manually lock all doors at the driver's handle or keyfob...

Thoughts?

GerryAZ said:
It would be OK if it is user configured. Personally, I do not want the car to turn itself off because I may leave it on for a reason.

What about when you walk away with keys with you... why not have the car turn itself off, since the key is away? I cant imagine a scenario where there is someone just sitting in the car w/o the key on their person...

be236 said:
GerryAZ said:
It would be OK if it is user configured. Personally, I do not want the car to turn itself off because I may leave it on for a reason.

What about when you walk away with keys with you... why not have the car turn itself off, since the key is away? I cant imagine a scenario where there is someone just sitting in the car w/o the key on their person...

Actually, I do this frequently--leave A/C on, lock the doors, and run into a store or into the house with the car in the driveway. Besides that, I would not want the car to shut off while driving if something happened to the key fob.

GerryAZ said:
be236 said:
GerryAZ said:

Actually, I do this frequently--leave A/C on, lock the doors, and run into a store or into the house with the car in the driveway. Besides that, I would not want the car to shut off while driving if something happened to the key fob.

Well.. could make it so that it would only Auto shut-off if the car is in Park mode, and not in any driving mode like D or R or N mode.

be236 said:
GerryAZ said:

Yep to GerryAZ's point.

The key could fail, its battery could die or there could be a communications problem between the key and car. You wouldn't want that happening while in motion.

If I needed to keep the car in READY mode so that the DC to DC converter is engaged to run an inverter powered off the 12 volt bus, I wouldn't want to have to leave the fob in the car. I wouldn't be able to lock the doors and someone could steal my car and restart it elsewhere (since the fob's in the car). If they stole my car w/no fob, once they power down, they can't power back up w/o the fob.

Our kids have accidently left the Leaf on, both in summer with AC running and winter with the heat on and it does just stay on. I admit that I have many times left it "on" and locked it to keep it cool or warm, but how does the car know if it is intentional or not. I have also dropped my wife off, she had the key and I drove to work, wonder what the heck the car was beeping about, now I know :)

So I guess I would prefer it to stay on, but can see why it doesn't auto shut off with the "key" out of range.

BrockWI said:
Our kids have accidently left the Leaf on, both in summer with AC running and winter with the heat on and it does just stay on. I admit that I have many times left it "on" and locked it to keep it cool or warm, but how does the car know if it is intentional or not. I have also dropped my wife off, she had the key and I drove to work, wonder what the heck the car was beeping about, now I know :)

So I guess I would prefer it to stay on, but can see why it doesn't auto shut off with the "key" out of range.

Because the fob or sensor could fail while driving and result in unplanned shutdown.

BrockWI said:

Yup.. or have this as an Option/Setting in the menu system. You can select "auto power off" with a Yes or No value.

Then both types of people can be accommodated. I would just like the car to lock itself up and power off if I walk away from the car with keyfob (in case when I forget to do those things manually).

^^^
I've never forgotten. IIRC, if the car's in READY mode and you try closing the door while the fob's outside the car, it beeps a bunch of times.

Also, before that point, when you open the driver's door while in READY, you should hear beep-beep pause beep-beep and so on.

cwerdna said:
^^^
I've never forgotten. IIRC, if the car's in READY mode and you try closing the door while the fob's outside the car, it beeps a bunch of times.

Also, before that point, when you open the driver's door while in READY, you should hear beep-beep pause beep-beep and so on.

Ah, ok, I might have heard those beeps but didnt know what they mean.

I guess I'll just be more aware of beeps to alert me something is wrong and I should go and look at the display to see if it's still on ...

Good tip.

I too have heard those beeps when jumping out of my car to open the garage door or something while the car was 'on'.

I know I should just RTFM but can someone explain to me briefly how to 1) avoid the beeps when parking for just a minute to jump out of the car before continuing on

and/or 2) park the car but leave the AC or heat on? I have a 2017 S.

goldbrick said:
I too have heard those beeps when jumping out of my car to open the garage door or something while the car was 'on'.

I know I should just RTFM but can someone explain to me briefly how to 1) avoid the beeps when parking for just a minute to jump out of the car before continuing on

and/or 2) park the car but leave the AC or heat on? I have a 2017 S.

You can't avoid the beeps if you leave the car on. You can use the remote climate control function to avoid the beeps on the SV and SL models if you want the AC or heat to run while parked, but it only stays on for 15 minutes, unless the charger is plugged in, and then it will only stay on for two hours.

Auto-power off could be implemented such that car is in Park, key is not detected, seat sensors indicate no occupants, all seatbelts unlatched, and optional timeout enabled. Telematics would push a message a few minutes after abandoning the car, five minutes before timeout, and at timeout shutdown. Allow remotely shutting down if same conditions are met. The big problem to avoid is shutting down with a child or pet in the car. I don’t believe there are rear seat occupancy sensors, so that could be a problem.

I can see where it would be easy to leave the LEAF running when, say, parking at an airport and being in a hurry and distracted.

Tesla somehow managed to get rid of the power button altogether, instead using the seat sensor, brake pedal switch, and key proximity. A simpler solution.

gshepherd said:
Tesla somehow managed to get rid of the power button altogether, instead using the seat sensor, brake pedal switch, and key proximity. A simpler solution.
It's rather nice - get in the car and press the brake, and the car turns on. Get out of the car and it turns off. Close the doors and walk away and the car locks itself. There's nothing to do or think about.

On the other hand, they had to invent something special ("camper mode") for the very rare times you want the car to stay on (run the HVAC) when you get out of it.

When I first got my Leaf (2018), I had this problem too, and I did walk away a few times. What I learned was that since the doors lock once you start driving, and don’t unlock until you turn it off, once I got to my destination, the locked doors prevented me from leaving while the car was on. In other words, if I have to manually unlock my car, it was a good reminder that the car was still on. I haven’t left it on by mistake since.

I hate auto door lock while driving function. Leaf Spy disabled that. Love the Spy!
Also disabled low speed noise maker...did I say love the spy!

Back