New to Leaf - Weird automatic acceleration problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WreckingBear

Hello!

I just got my Leaf 2018 today (new company car) and so far I love it! But right now I'm having a very weird situation that wasn't like that in the beginning...

Right now I'm having the phenomenon that the car is accelerating on it's own when e-pedal is off! So I start the car with hitting the break and pressing the start button, car is on and still in P, so far so good.

First thing I noticed is that I can't switch to D, it just plays a little sound notification but nothing happens. I have to hit the break and switch to either D or R and when I do so and stop hitting on the breaks, it starts moving on its own and I can only stop it if I hit the breaks again.

Another thing I noticed is that when I turn on the e-pedal (stopping the auto acceleration) and want to switch it back off, the display tells me to hit the breaks before doing so. That's also something it didn't have to do before. I just could switch it on and off...

Did I **** something up with the settings by accidentally turning something on or off or is this not normal? Since it even tells me to hit the breaks before switching off the e-pedal it does seem like a deliberate feature...

Or am I stupid and it was always like this? I could swear it didn't accelerate on it's own a few hours ago...

Thanks in advance!

Most of the behavior you describe is normal unless the "acceleration" is rapid. The Leaf simulates automatic transmission 'creep' when not in ePedal mode. You also have to apply the brake to shift out of Park, IIRC. The only odd thing I see is requiring that you apply the brake to switch ePedal on or off.

If the Leaf is stopped by the e-pedal system, then it will only allow you to turn e-pedal OFF after you step on the brake. It's a safety measure.
If you are driving along and moving with e-pedal ON, then you can turn e-pedal OFF without stepping on the brake.

Switching to D or R also requires you to step on the brake first. Another safety measure.
Also, if you are driving along and moving on D mode, then you can switch back and forth between B mode and D mode without stepping on the brake.

As mentioned by LeftieBiker, that slow acceleration is normal when in D mode.

henrydehoja said:
Switching to D or R also requires you to step on the brake first. Another safety measure.
Also, if you are driving along and moving on D mode, then you can switch back and forth between B mode and D mode without stepping on the brake.
Shifting out of P requires stepping on the brake. Once in any of N, B or D, you can shift among them without stepping on the brake.

Note: If you shift from P to D too soon after entering Ready mode, you get N instead. This has caused me to start drifting backwards on my inclined driveway when my intent was to pull into the garage. (Observed in a 2015 SV. Possibly this has been fixed in 2018s.)

TheLostPetrol said:
Shifting out of P requires stepping on the brake.
Right, that was what I meant.

TheLostPetrol said:
Note: If you shift from P to D too soon after entering Ready mode, you get N instead. This has caused me to start drifting backwards on my inclined driveway when my intent was to pull into the garage. (Observed in a 2015 SV. Possibly this has been fixed in 2018s.)
This is still the same in the 2018 model. I fall for it many times; the car can't keep up with me. :lol:
I drive on e-Pedal, so I don't worry about drifting. Although, I've been changing my "car entrance" habits to immediately get the car in Ready mode, then buckle up, so that the car has enough time to properly bootup.

Also, I am not sure if it does this at all speeds, but I know from slowly backing out of my garage - not in e-pedal mode - that if you shift from R to D, then the car stops abruptly and accepts the change to D.

I had this issue yesterday. I was backing up in a parking lot while on ePedal and when i touched the break pads the car accelerate very fast

Check for misplaced floor mat that got on top of accelerator.

My 2023 Leaf S that I have only had 6 weeks did not slow down when I released the accelerator. The rubber Nissan floor mat was the cause. It was not installed properly by the dealership with the hooks to keep it from sliding forward.

Back