250,000 All Electric miles on my Nissan LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorSFGuy

Tonight I will be rolling over 100,000 miles on my second LEAF. The first Nissan LEAF having gone in excess of 150,000 miles brings me to a quarter of a million all electric miles.

This has been nearly mechanically perfect - the only issue was the power window switch on the 2011 and the blue finish has cracked off the hood emblem on the 2014. Other than that - both have their original brakes, one set of tires on the 2011 and no other maintenance needed. There aren't many ICE drivers that can attest to such a trouble free experience.

In December 2013, I was recognized by Washington Governor Inslee and Nissan NA representatives as the first driver in the US and likely the world to reach 100,000 miles on a mass produced all electric vehicle. Now I have hit that milestone again. My original intention for going all electric was to save money. At 30MPG the electricity works out to less than $0.90 per gallon equivalent. So what haven't I used? Some 8,000 gallons of gasoline yielding a savings of nearly $18,000.

In early 2014, it wasn't possible to purchase a new battery which is why I didn't replace the 2011's. They were only available for warranty replacement which isn't why I needed one. While I was completing my promise to reach 150,000 on the 2011, Nissan started their replacement program.

The 2014 battery appears to be holding up fairly similar to the 2011 at 100,000 miles. GID count is 219. Still good enough to get me each way in my 125 mile round trip commute even on dark rainy nights.

In 2011, My Employer - Taylor Shellfish in Shelton Washington made this all possible by installing one of the first publicly accessible no charge to use Level 2 EVSEs in Western Washington. Since then, we have installed more units at some of our other locations to be used by employees and visitors. I am very appreciative to them for allowing this to happen.

When others like me ordered our cars nearly sight unseen in 2011, we had no idea what the future would bring. I think it is fair to say we are just beginning to see the options ahead of us.

Thanks for including me in this journey we have taken from the forefront of the EV movement. Steve

Congratulations on your milestone! Shelton was my first night's stop on a Pacific Coast bicycle tour (having started in Seattle). Beautiful area.

TaylorSFGuy said:
....The first Nissan LEAF having gone in excess of 150,000....[/u].

....one set of tires on the 2011 and no other maintenance needed....

Thanks for including me in this journey we have taken from the forefront of the EV movement. Steve
You got 75k miles on each set of tires for your '11 :?
I find that extremely hard to believe, my first set of Ecopia's only lasted 20k and my second set also has 20k and is showing wear, I figure I'll be lucky to get 50k on those.
Are you sure you didn't replace a couple other sets of tires? Glad you've had such good luck with your Leaf but sure haven't experienced tire wear like you :(

Wow that's impressive, our awful traffic must have helped with that 125 miles range. Probably also why your tires lasted that long too, I'm hitting 56000 miles on my original 2013 tires, but I think I'll be needing replacement within the next 6 months.

The miles are a monumental achievement. No question about that but I still say the most amazing thing is your ability to get the most from your tires!!

jjeff said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
....The first Nissan LEAF having gone in excess of 150,000....[/u].

....one set of tires on the 2011 and no other maintenance needed....

You got 75k miles on each set of tires for your '11 :?
I find that extremely hard to believe, my first set of Ecopia's only lasted 20k and my second set also has 20k and is showing wear, I figure I'll be lucky to get 50k on those.
Are you sure you didn't replace a couple other sets of tires? Glad you've had such good luck with your Leaf but sure haven't experienced tire wear like you :(

75.000???

You need to reread!! His 2014 is OVER 100,000 miles on its OEM shoes!

Your post is eye opening!!!! This accomplishment tells me that I can keep my current Leaf (bought new) and buy one with a dead battery. I can spend only $8500 for new batteries, and have cars for decades of cheap electric driving....

None of my three LEAFs (2011, 2012, or 2017) went over 25,000 miles on the original tires.

I recently surpassed 100,000 miles on two cars:

* 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV (with our JdeMO fast charge kit)

** 2015 Tesla Model S

I have driven over 300,000 miles all-Electric.

powersurge said:
Yes, I know that that long on one set of tires is hard to believe.... Maybe he only drives straight????

Well, I know his route very well and all I can say is he "must" have a "very" steady hand...

First time I saw his 2011, it had already had been over 60,000 miles. I asked him how much he paid for his tires and that is when he told me that they were the originals. I was beyond shock...

I dont' see driving long distances as an accomplishment. It's a huge waste of time. With high speed internet available in so many places, more people should work from home instead of wasting time driving to work, polluting the air with gasoline or battery by products and work smarter not harder.

in short I am glad your car has lasted a long time trouble free, but I do not see it as a worthwhile endeavor.

aluminumwelder said:
I dont' see driving long distances as an accomplishment. It's a huge waste of time. With high speed internet available in so many places, more people should work from home instead of wasting time driving to work, polluting the air with gasoline or battery by products and work smarter not harder.

in short I am glad your car has lasted a long time trouble free, but I do not see it as a worthwhile endeavor.

Its a trillion dollar industry, actually many trillions. Transpo takes a back seat to very few other entities in life.

I also do think more and more job should work at home....

however, even high tech jobs need to go to "lab" (a room full of equitment in the company office site) often. even if company grant vpn to remote log in, there are times need to be there to press that power cycle button.... (give me that remote robot hand to do that :ugeek: )

also, home inspectors, electricians, etc, need to be there, cannot remote...... i feel for them. hours on the road is no fun.

i really hope tech and company culture can improve so that more work can be done at home, and leave room on the road for those who really need to drive, (and curse that expensive AT&T snail internet. more competition in the ISP market please) :mrgreen:

:eek: oops, this is getting out of topic ..... sorry....

soldcake said:
I also do think more and more job should work at home....

however, even high tech jobs need to go to "lab" (a room full of equitment in the company office site) often. even if company grant vpn to remote log in, there are times need to be there to press that power cycle button.... (give me that remote robot hand to do that :ugeek:

"Robot hand" is spelled S-C-P-I.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Commands_for_Programmable_Instruments

aluminumwelder said:

This gentleman appears to have swallowed, whole the "future societal planners" brainwashing. I am referring to the government and media's constant barrage of the evils against the environment by the use of resources in a "non-sustainable" way. Their future plan for the world is for individuals to use ONLY mass transportation like sheep for the idealized good of the planet....

I believe that our RIGHT to drive (especially AN EV!) should be celebrated and applauded as it is our most important creative activity. Driving allows us to chose what we do and see, and what beautiful parts of our world we will experience every day. If the future of our society is to stay in our 4-walled fishtank to live, sleep, and work... We will all be depressed, suicidal, and a population of sheep in the future..

To those who use their vehicles to their full potential..... ALL HAIL THE 250,000 MILER!!!!!!

aluminumwelder said:

Not every job consists of "playing on the computer and talking on the phone", as one of my colleague's daughters aptly described our work. And in the Puget Sound area roads can't take you as the crow flies.

Back