crutchfield recommends no amp/ subwoofer on leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfcart

I had an interesting conversation with a crutchfield advisor about the leaf and I was surprised to hear them say that they do not recommend installing any amp/sub in the leaf. The reason was that the voltage system is limited and not designed to handle extra draw outside of the existing accessories.

What do y'all think about this? Are they being overly cautious or is there a real danger of messing something up? I generally trust crutchfield as experts in car stereo equipment and this advisor had 20+ years with the company. It sounded like this was the official crutchfield stance on amps in a leaf. Is it a bad idea to add even a relatively small 200 watt mono amp and sub that'll probably never draw more than 30amp?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-RQXWOWQDXuJ/learn/2011-2017-nissan-leaf.html

The Bose system found with the Premium Package was developed specifically for the Leaf. It draws much less power than is typical. This isn't to say that more powerful systems can't be installed, just that they won't be Plug & Play if they draw a lot of juice. You basically need to tap the 12 volt battery directly, and should also install a larger capacity one - preferably AGM type.

LeftieBiker said:
You basically need to tap the 12 volt battery directly, and should also install a larger capacity one - preferably AGM type.

Can you elaborate? I have been installing aftermarket stereos in my cars since high school and I always run a fused power wire to the 12V positive terminal and ground to a chasis bolt near where the amp is mounted. What do you mean by tap the battery directly?

I think what you do is exactly the other poster meant... I cant see a radio drawing more power than .... lets say ... heater, headlights, or a/c?

does your equipment draw a lot?

powersurge said:
does your equipment draw a lot?

I wanted to purchase a 250W RMS mono class d amp powering a single 10" sub (at 4 ohm) in a sealed box. I don't imagine it draws more than 30a most of the time based on those specs.

It's just concerning when crutchfield says something like that. Their business is to sell me stereo equipment so it is not in their interest to tell me not to buy it. I'd assume they have a good reason.

I meant connect directly to the 12 volt battery (with a fuse). There is also a power block under the dash that can handle smaller aftermarket stereos, but for a big draw you go directly to the battery - as you normally do anyway.

I've added two amps to my '18 SL, with no serious adverse degradation so far. I managed to source some connectors to add onto the OEM H/U so I only have to cut two wires. For most people, adding a simple amp and sub will be fine, as long as the install is completed properly.

I'm guessing that they have flagged the LEAF as problematic based on issues with 2011/2012/2013 model years.

Supposedly, the charging cycle with the DC-DC converter, to maintain the 12V battery, is much improved for the 2015 model year.

If that's accurate, then your LEAF can likely power the amp without issues...

Perhaps ask Crutchfield for more details on why they don't recommend it?

alozzy said:
I'm guessing that they have flagged the LEAF as problematic based on issues with 2011/2012/2013 model years.

Supposedly, the charging cycle with the DC-DC converter, to maintain the 12V battery, is much improved for the 2015 model year.

If that's accurate, then your LEAF can likely power the amp without issues...

Perhaps ask Crutchfield for more details on why they don't recommend it?

I did call back to try to get more detail, they said it is a blanket recommendation for EV in general not just the leaf. The official statement is:

crutchfield said:
An EV is not the car to choose if you want to build a massively powerful audio system. We do not recommend installing any amplifiers in electric vehicles due to the current draw that they will introduce to the system

I suspect it is a liability thing, they don't want someone to fry their DC to DC converter (or some other integral component) and then blame crutchfield... But nobody i talk to is an engineer that made that recommendation they are all advisors repeating the company policy.

DC-DC converter in LEAF is capable of more output current than many alternators so no worries as long as you connect to the 12-volt battery. If you connect to the car's power distribution modules or fuse blocks, you need to make sure maximum current draw of the amplifier and other components does not exceed the rating of the distribution module or fuse block.

golfcart said:
crutchfield said:
An EV is not the car to choose if you want to build a massively powerful audio system. We do not recommend installing any amplifiers in electric vehicles due to the current draw that they will introduce to the system

This seems monumentally silly. Even a 500W draw would only eat 2 miles of range per hour of operation. And of course amplifiers consume nowhere near their peak values most of the time.

Nubo said:
golfcart said:
crutchfield said:

This seems monumentally silly. Even a 500W draw would only eat 2 miles of range per hour of operation. And of course amplifiers consume nowhere near their peak values most of the time.

It's not a range issue, per Crutchfield, it is a concern about overburdening the accessory battery and charging system.

I've heard the DC/DC converter can supply about 130a (I remember reading on this site somewhere but don't have it sourced). If the heater is on full blast that pulls a lot of juice, I don't know how much margin that leaves you with to power a big amp and all of the other accessories in the vehicle. That would be my guess as to why they make that recommendation but I can only speculate as they refused to be specific about it.

If the heater is on full blast that pulls a lot of juice, I don't know how much margin that leaves you with to power a big amp and all of the other accessories in the vehicle. That would be my guess as to why they make that recommendation but I can only speculate as they refused to be specific about it.

The heating element and/or heatpump is powered from the traction battery. It's the blower and vent motor only that are powered by the 12 volt system.

LeftieBiker said:
The heating element and/or heatpump is powered from the traction battery. It's the blower and vent motor only that are powered by the 12 volt system.

I guess that makes sense, it wouldn't be very efficient at 12V. I'm stumped then, I don't know what Crutchfield is worried about aside from the decreased life of the 12V battery itself. It doesn't seem like an amplifier pulling 20 - 30 amps max would be a big deal. But hey, I'm not a EE so what do I know...

golfcart said:
I had an interesting conversation with a crutchfield advisor about the leaf and I was surprised to hear them say that they do not recommend installing any amp/sub in the leaf. The reason was that the voltage system is limited and not designed to handle extra draw outside of the existing accessories.

What do y'all think about this? Are they being overly cautious or is there a real danger of messing something up? I generally trust crutchfield as experts in car stereo equipment and this advisor had 20+ years with the company. It sounded like this was the official crutchfield stance on amps in a leaf. Is it a bad idea to add even a relatively small 200 watt mono amp and sub that'll probably never draw more than 30amp?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-RQXWOWQDXuJ/learn/2011-2017-nissan-leaf.html

I have a 1000W Infinity sub and amp in my leaf for several months now with no issues.

Wired directly to my 12V battery using the audio fuse as a remote wire.

No issues so far.

For anyone else interested in audio install, Axxess makes AXLOC-NIS1 to provide a T connector into the factory wiring harness in a revertable form.

Back