Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yanquetino

This morning I found that, in one of my listserves, a fellow EV advocate "Phil" posted this message:
The Nissan Leaf ships with an 120V 12A portable EVSE for "on the go" charging. I just completed designing and testing an upgrade to it that allows 240V charging while still retaining the 120V capability. This means you can use the supplied EVSE at home without needing to install an (expensive) additional unit and still have a reasonable charge rate. (over 2.8kW) The full safety features including the GFCI protection are still 100% functional, and the unit automatically switches voltage.

We will be offering an upgrade service for these to Leaf owners soon. It would be nice to gauge interest from current and future Leaf owners. Please contact me off-list for more info.

Here's the modified unit charging at 240V 12A:
pic

This shows the new L6-20P 240V/20A NEMA twist-lock installed, along with an adaptor cable so you can still charge at 120V:
pic

-Phil
Since he is asking for feedback to gauge interest, and since I know many of our forum members would want to respond, I don't think he would mind if I shared his announcement here. As you can see in the photo labels above, his e-mail address is:

phil [at] ingineerix [dot] com

I am really hoping "Phil" will offer the mod as a reasonably priced kit so I can do the mod myself. I really don't want to be without my EVSE for any length of time if I can avoid it and I see no point in shipping the unit back and forth if I can do the work myself.

I am a little skeptical. I would want to know that the input voltage and current are being passed through. I could easily allow for a dual voltage input, but the output would remain the same. I would also want to know that the car would accept the full capacity of the updated voltage and current without a negative effect. I want to see a video of this "in action".

For home charging I am considering purchasing a European L1 and just converting the plug to a US 240v.

4/8/11 update. I remove my skepticism. Great work!

i am very interested but concerned over the logistics of this.

does it require that i send in my unit? if so, that would be a hassle since its the only charge option i have.

i *could* go without since i still have my 2006 Prius, but that would be torture. as much as i loved my Prius before...since the Leafs arrival, the love has tarnished... A LOT.

This is pretty awesome. He must have found an auto-ranging power supply that properly fits in the case! Hopefully I can just pick up the power supply from him (I already have the L6-20 plugs) :D.

Please stay tuned for details. To answer a few questions:

No kit available as of now
Unit will need to be sent in but that could change, but turn around is quick
Current is the same over each voltage and unit is tested at 240
Price TBD
Unit will be tested by a forum member here next week so you will receive his real-world feedback soon

Let me know if you have any other questions.

where is he located? turnaround would not be less than 3 days.

i would have to recharge at the local Nissan dealer...aaahh what the hell, after $34,500 they owe me a freebie

EVDRIVER said:

Current is the same over each voltage and unit is tested to over 280V
Price TBD
Unit will be tested by a forum member here next week so you will receive his real-world feedback soon

Why would it need to be sent in?! I would bet that most people familiar with electronics would be able to handle a hack like this without an issue.

My guess is Phil wants you to send it in so you will pay him for the conversion. For his sake I hope he has good liability insurance. Eventually someone will either reverse engineer his mod or come up with something very similar and post a parts list and how to.

DarkStar said:
EVDRIVER said:

Current is the same over each voltage and unit is tested to 240
Price TBD

Why would it need to be sent in?! I would bet that most people familiar with electronics would be able to handle a hack like this without an issue.

Then they are certainly to do this on their own, I assume most people have access to 300V 20A feeds and the proper diagnostic equipment. Each unit is modified in several ways and is tested to higher than spec voltage to insure reliability since the stock unit is unable to handle 240V and will fail immediately or shortly after.

EVDRIVER said:
Then they are certainly to do this on their own, I assume most people have access to 300V 20A feeds and the proper diagnostic equipment. Each unit is modified in several ways and is tested to higher than spec voltage to insure reliability since the stock unit is unable to handle 240V and will fail immediately or shortly after.
Cool, can't wait! :D

I would be interested in such an upgrade ... of course, depending on cost and shipping logistics (I could live with 2-day shipping, perhaps, both ways). Where is he located, and what type of warranty is he giving?

For quicker turnaround, he could offer to ship once tracking no. is provided for the stock OEM is enroute to him. I suppose it wouldn't matter that the upgraded unit is not the same as the stock OEM ... so long as the upgraded one is in like condition.

Is this the same 240 plug that will fit in my 240 dryer outlet?

Where else could I use this? (RV parks?)

Would this have any effect on the LEAF warranty?

Randy3 said:
Is this the same 240 plug that will fit in my 240 dryer outlet?

Where else could I use this? (RV parks?)

Would this have any effect on the LEAF warranty?

The 240 plug wil be to your spec or you can have multiple adaptors for a nominal charge. The Magnuson Moss act specifically covers you in this situation. The EVSE is not capable of damaging the LEAF.

If it's a business then it's simple. He collects or buys the stock L1 units in advance and modifies them. He ships the modified unit as soon as the order comes in. Then after the customer gets the modified unit they send the original core to be modified for another customer. There would be some details regarding core charges if originals are not sent back and quality of the cores sent, etc. but that could easily be worked out in the cost/business model.

i would gladly pay for his knowledge and more so, his innovation. its the people like him that will extend the capabilities and increase the desire for Leaf ownership and move this country in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back