TexasLeaf
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111

Re: No more Rapidgate!! I traded my 2018 Leaf in on a 2019 Niro EV

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 am

I have had my Niro EV for a little over a year and I thought I would post an update. I don't regret trading my 2018 Leaf for the 2019 Niro EV in the slightest. I have had my Niro EV for about as long as I had my Leaf, at the end I was comping at the bit to get rid of the Leaf but I really have no interest in getting out of the Niro EV.

The longest single day trip I have made in the Niro EV is 806 miles. That many miles in a single day would have been nearly impossible in the 2018 Leaf. I looks like Nissan finally learned their lesson and the new Ariya appears to address all the issues that drove me from the Leaf.

I still think the Leaf is a fine car under the right circumstances but it just wasn't for me. I wish all the best to all of you that decided to hang on to your Leafs.
2018 Leaf SL
2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
2007 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4X4

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:56 pm

^^^
Good to hear! Sounds like multiple DC FCs in a day on the Niro EV were no issue. I'm guessing thermal management kicked in during your charges...

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:34 pm

TexasLeaf, thanks for the update. Of all the PEVs currently available, the Niro appeals most to me, whether BEV or PHEV. But the lack of AWD has kept me from getting one, as I'm a skier and hate having to put chains on when I don't need them - 4/AWD with snow tires avoids that.

I've driven the BEV and liked it, and now that the 2020 PHEVs have paddles to control Regen like the BEVs I'm thinking about them again. I'd also prefer that the Niro's cargo area was 3-4" longer behind the rear seats, making the car about the same length as my Forester, but could live with the shorter length. I'm also concerned about the lack of a capacity warranty as I keep cars a long time (17.5 years and counting on my current one). What kind of degradation are you seeing?

I do wish that they offered the Niro in at least one bright color like the Soul, as even the red seems to be pretty toned down. I'm tired of driving silver metallic cars! I'd probably opt for the blue as the best of an uninspiring bunch of choices.

I was very interested to read that you managed 800+ miles in a day. Do you know how much time you spent charging and your total time enroute, at what speeds? The ability to drive at least 750 miles/day while getting 8 hours of sleep is a requirement for me. [Edit: read your post in the Niro forum that had some more detail. Seems like you take road trips of similar length to mine].

Now that EA has made the rates for Kia/Hyundai BEVs more reasonable, what's it costing you to QC at one?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”